Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to Volunteer!

• 09-06-2010 8:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I've got free time on my hands. I don't want to sit around, I want to do something to help others!

I've registered on Volunteer.ie, but nothing really stands out and a lot of them are outdated. I've heard good things about the order of malta and st johns. Could someone perhaps give me more details? Or any charity around my area, South Dublin/City centre!

I don't really have any prefences.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Have you heard of http://www.activelink.ie/

It is a website with lots of charities and non profit organisations looking for volunteers, etc. You might like to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Hey, I've got free time on my hands. I don't want to sit around, I want to do something to help others!

I've registered on Volunteer.ie, but nothing really stands out and a lot of them are outdated. I've heard good things about the order of malta and st johns. Could someone perhaps give me more details? Or any charity around my area, South Dublin/City centre!

Its nice to hear people want to help out and do something worthwhile!

Im in the Order of Malta Ambulance Corps (OMAC). theres a really good thread on it in this forum and some pretty useful info on their website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

IvySlayer wrote: »

No SJA in Lucan,nearest would be in Castleknock (which meets in Blanchardstown) or Ballyfermot.

www.sja.ie for more details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Have you a particular interest or skill in anything? Are you good at manual labour, do you play an instrument/ sing, are you artistic, good at sports, do yoga, do you like gardening? You could incorporate some of these things into what you have to offer to a centre or service.

Have you considered working with animals, elderly, people suffering with mental illness, people with learning or physical disabilities? If you have a preference for the client group, and/ or a skill, you could narrow it down a bit.

Depending on how much free time you have, or how long- term your committment can be. you could look into Foroige or Childline. Foroige is a youth service who have a Big Brother/ Big Sister programme where you're paired with a young person and you spend one hour a week together for one year. You will act as a positive role model and an added support outside of the young person's family. Childline also ask for a one year committment. You will be asked to give at least 4 hours a week to answer calls. They both provide extensive training. Because both these services are for young people, you will be required to get Garda Clearance and may not be accepted if you have a criminal record.

Depending on how involved you do/ don't want to be with service users, you could also look at the likes of charity shops and donate your time to working in one of them, (Mrs Quins, Age Action, Concern, Barnardos, etc.).

Fair play :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

FOROIGE also run youth clubs all over the country and are always looking for adult leaders .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Thanks for all your info. I'll give more detailed answer, have new puppy so my time is suddenly taken up by him, in a few weeks I'll be more active! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

I thought a lot of them were outdated on volunteer.ie but whe I registered they informed me that they are usually constant needs, and thats why theyre still up there, so you can apply for them

Advertisement