Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are these for real? Chinese gibsonsfenders prs etc!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

IVRZ wrote: »
    A new gibson les paul custom 200e free shipping. It has to be too good to be true. ]

And it is.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

i was thinking of getting one, gutting the electronics and hardware, replace with all gibson parts and voila, gibson custom :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭IVRZ

still cheaper than most other copies.
    But do you get what they show you?
    if so then many of the gibbys, fenders, gretchs prs etc around must be fakes.
    Has anyone dealt with them or got one of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

firewood.

Slave to the grind, have you some experience with them? Would love t hear about it if so

• Advertisement

Punchdrunk?

For example there's a Gretch replica up on adverts.ie at the moment for about 200e. Looks gorgeous, and id be delighted to get one at that price and redo the electrics etc if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

as my dad would say they are all skirt,no knickers ;)

yes I had a dude on adverts try to flog me an "American deluxe telecaster" a couple of years ago and you only had to pick it up and strum a chord to know it was a duff

I know in our hearts we'd all like to believe Fender are evil neo cons overcharging use by a 1000 euro on every strat or tele we buy,and that in reality a €200 copy will be there equal but sadly it's not true

save your money,buy a vintage vibe squier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Eeekk.......the PRS is hard to spot as fake. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Christ, look at the SG.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

On a slightly related point to the guy two posts up: are some squiers better regarded than others? Is it the older ones or certain lines that are preferred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

efla wrote: »
    On a slightly related point to the guy two posts up: are some squiers better regarded than others? Is it the older ones or certain lines that are preferred?

The classic vibe range of squires are excellent. They've gotten great reviews. Have the squire classic vibe 50's model myself and it's very impressive. Cheap as chips, plays great, and the stock pickups were damn good too! Think i'm going to pop one or more of them back in it actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rgjmce

efla wrote: »

I have a 2001 tele and it's amazing. I'm not mad on the bridge pickup but thats just personal opinion.

To get back to the point, them gibsons are clearly fakes as people have said, you really should check out "how to spot fake gibsons" videos on youtube and you will be able to tell pretty quick then.

I have a squire vintage modified thinline tele I traded for here. Best tele i ever played. Beautiful neck, slightly acoustic tone from the semi solid body, comes with great duncan designed pups. New on thomann for about 330 I think, but if you see one going second hand get it, terriffic. The reviews on harmony central tell the truth about this guitar.
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_sq_vint_modified_tele_thin_sg.htm

Back to the point though. I know these chinese guitars are copies. What im wondering is are they GOOD copies, worth modding up, and do they send you what you see in the pictures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

A lot of the pages have commecnts at the bottom saying a different guitar was sent. You also don't get the the case.

I think it's safe to assume you're being scammed. If you want a cheap Les Paul to modify, get a second hand Epiphone instead of one of these and don't waste your money.

thanks landsleaving, sounds like good advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

A friend of mine got one off a similar site. It's a copy but the quality of the guitar was surprising, you actually wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't the real thing. The finish is flawless and plays and sounds amazing.

Be very weary though there are some scammers on these sites.

thats the thing smellslikeshoes. Someone else told me he got a couple very good strat copies but advised staying away from anything more complicated like hollowbody or with a bigsby. Could you let us know the site your friend dealt with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

A friend of mine got one off a similar site. It's a copy but the quality of the guitar was surprising, you actually wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't the real thing. The finish is flawless and plays and sounds amazing.

Be very weary though there are some scammers on these sites.

There can be no way that an LP they sell could be anywhere near the weight of a real LP given that they wont be using mahogany etc. at that price.

The reviews of "Chinese" fakes on the web a scathing.

Welease wrote: »
    There can be no way that an LP they sell could be anywhere near the weight of a real LP given that they wont be using mahogany etc. at that price.

No need for reviews. It's all rubbish.

• Advertisement

No need for reviews. It's all rubbish.

Well precisely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

IVRZ wrote: »
    thats the thing smellslikeshoes. Someone else told me he got a couple very good strat copies but advised staying away from anything more complicated like hollowbody or with a bigsby. Could you let us know the site your friend dealt with?

Can't remember the site off the top of my head. Knowing the site is pretty useless though as these sites are like Ebay with multiple sellers.
    Welease wrote: »

Couldn't tell you to be honest the guitar my mate got was a Kirk hammet sig esp which is an alder body so wouldn't have been as immediately obvious weightwise if it wasn't the right wood. It sounded well though so I can only assume it was. One thing I will say though is after seeing it I'd be very wary about buying second hand guitars off lads because an unscrupulous person could sell these as the real thing.

After saying all that though, I wouldn't risk buying from any of these sites myself. I'd say a fair percentage of these sales you're gonna end up with firewood.

One thing I will say though is after seeing it I'd be very wary about buying second hand guitars off lads because an unscrupulous person could sell these as the real thing.

If anyone is concerned about buying a Gibson..

1. Check if they have a receipt for the guitar
    2. Get the serial number and give Gibson customer service (in the US) a call. With the serial number, they will confirm that date, colour, model, pickup config etc. and more importantly which distributor in which country the guitar was shipped to. If anything doesn't match, then walk away. Any Irish distributed Gibson should have come through Waltons (can someone confirm?) and a UK distributed Gibson through Rosetti (again confirmation needed).

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Has anyone tried one of these copies?
    not th kh model but either gibson fender or prs
    I am very curious just to see what they are like

eagle10 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried one of these copies?
    not th kh model but either gibson fender or prs
    I am very curious just to see what they are like

I tried a Gibson Les Paul Standard replica from the fairy66 site in China. Total sheee-ite.

I tried a Gibson Les Paul Standard replica from the fairy66 site in China. Total sheee-ite.

Was everything about it muck?
    The look the feel the finish?
    I'd expect the pups to be sub standard and inferior timbers but I cant find a review anywhere for these guitars

eagle10 wrote: »
    Was everything about it muck?
    The look the feel the finish?
    I'd expect the pups to be sub standard and inferior timbers but I cant find a review anywhere for these guitars

Where do i start.......
      Body not mahogany Electrics inside were muck Cavity not shielded Tuning heads were rubbish Fingerboard felt low quality Binding on fretboard was cheap a$$

Where do i start.......
    • Body not mahogany
      Electrics inside were muck
      Cavity not shielded
      Tuning heads were rubbish
      Fingerboard felt low quality
      Binding on fretboard was cheap a$$

Thats a good start thanks.

I suspect lots of people are buying these guitars playing them and playing ignorant there are obvisouly loads of them sold but no reviews!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

In this price range I would like to hear if anyone here owns a xaviere guitar from gfs, as their pickups are usually suggested for upgrading epiphones and others. For the money that would be a more solid building block imo for upgrading or tweaking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement