Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for 1st 100k cycle

• 09-06-2010 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

I’ve signed up to do a 100k charity cycle in 2 weeks and was wondering what the best advice people could give me would be for eating / drinking etc. along the way and if I should try a practice run and for how far and how soon beforehand?

The furthest I’ve gone before is 50k which was last week. Picking up a new bike some day this week hopefully. I know its probably nothing compared to what a lot of people here would consider a proper cycle but seems an aful long way to me at the moment!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

A couple of points;
    Eating. Everyone is different to what their body/fuel needs are but I would reccomend eating little and often. Give your body a nice conatant supply of fuel.slow release foods like fruit etc are best. Aim to drink at least 2 ltrs of fluid, (not just water but electroylte drink to try and combat cramp.
    Make sure your new bike is properly fitted. Getting a new one 2 weeks beforehand doesn't give you much time to work with.
    If there is a group of you doing it the distance shouldn't be a major prob as the kms will just tick over.
    A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Thanks. By electrolyte drink do you mean something like powerade and do you mean the 2 litres before setting out or along the way also?

Have a flat bar Lapierre RCR100 at the moment but upgrading through cycle to work scheme to a racer.

40 people doing Rathnew to Wexford but 5 of us have decided to start out from Dublin instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

How far are you cycling commuting per week? You should be good for that distance in a single day.

Nutrition wise, a good breakfast (porridge is popular), bananas, energy bars (or just mars bars) or similar. Eat pretty much steadily as you ride. Make sure you have some cash for food if you bonk (run out of energy, legs turn to jelly).

Hydration is really important. Two bottles at least with, at minimum, water with a pinch of salt and glucose (sugar might do here). Or you can go for the various energy drinks. The salt is important as you'll lose it in sweat and this can lead to cramping. No need to worry about it on shorter runs but, once you go over 50km you should be thinking about it.

For the spin itself, take it a bit easy at the outset so you don't use up all your reserves early. If it's an organised spin it'll likely be paced a bit to start anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

As per above, distance will be fine as long as you keep eating. With drink I usually make a strong mix (1/2 cordial) of robinsons orange or something, add a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt. I have tried nunn tablets as well and dont notice much difference. A big bowl of porrige with a good dose of sugar/honey and a banana will be good before you start. Maybe take a packet of those lucozade tabs as well as a backup.

About the new bike tho - make sure you get out on a couple of 20km plus spind on it to test how it feels. Random things like the position of cleats on the shoes may catch you out (I found this recently and had to adjust them to find the sweet spot that didnt give me pins and needles). YOu will only figure some things like this out on a longer spin.

Good luck,
    km

My usual commute is very low around 2.5k. Would probably do around 10 - 15k most days during the week but usually 5k max at a time.

As for the pace it'll be high enough to Rathnew anyway i'd say because of the guys going that with me. The 50k I mentioned I did in about 2.5 hours and found relatively easy but was mainly on flats on the N11 down to Dun Laoighaire and back up the coast road and a couple of loops around town and terenure / harolds cross.

Have some glucose at home I think. Have glutamine and protein too. Would you recommend adding any of that also? Bag of bananas and snickers on my back it is so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Take a minitool just on case you feel the need to tweak saddle position and height. A few prior runs should help this as you won't want to stop during the event. You'll love it

Thanks for the advice guys. Will be sure to use it. Going for a stroll around Camden Street at lunch now to pick out my new wheels. Thinking around 40-50k this Saturday and maybe a shorter run during the week beforehand to get used to the bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

If the other guys are stronger cyclists it'll be well worthwhile asking them to go for an easier pace. They won't even think of that as its pretty easy to forget how much work somebody else is having to do while you're just spinning along.

Keep as close as you dare to their rear wheels and you'll get the benefit of no headwind. They're hardly likely to mind as this will mean you slow them less. If you fall off the back of the group try to put in the effort to catch up again as you'll have easier cycling once you catch up. Don't be afraid to yell to slow down or for a break if necessary.

Oh, and good luck and have fun...

Going for a stroll around Camden Street at lunch now to pick out my new wheels.

You mean you dont have a new bike ordered etc? If you havent bought it it will prob take a week or two to buy/setup - I think i'd be tempted to go with the flat bar - it should be fine especially if on a charity event where people will be taking it handy enough anyway.
    This would give more time to choose a bike and also means you wont risk any discomfort by going straight out for 100k 1st time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am sure you are not doing this because it's easy but as a challenge :) so hopefully it will be tough but rewarding :) Keep fed and hydrated, go at your own pace and enjoy the 99th kilometre as much as the 5th.

• Advertisement

km991148 wrote: »
    You mean you dont have a new bike ordered etc? If you havent bought it it will prob take a week or two to buy/setup - I think i'd be tempted to go with the flat bar - it should be fine especially if on a charity event where people will be taking it handy enough anyway.
    This would give more time to choose a bike and also means you wont risk any discomfort by going straight out for 100k 1st time..
    Might be a problem then. I kind of presumed it'd be a fast enough process if they have the stock? The charity thing will be my first longish cycle but I don't plan on it being the only which is why I want to go for a drop bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

cdaly_ wrote: »
    If the other guys are stronger cyclists it'll be well worthwhile asking them to go for an easier pace. They won't even think of that as its pretty easy to forget how much work somebody else is having to do while you're just spinning along.

Keep as close as you dare to their rear wheels and you'll get the benefit of no headwind. They're hardly likely to mind as this will mean you slow them less. If you fall off the back of the group try to put in the effort to catch up again as you'll have easier cycling once you catch up. Don't be afraid to yell to slow down or for a break if necessary.

Oh, and good luck and have fun...

This is essential advice if you're going with a small group of stronger cyclists, as you won't have another group to latch onto if the pace is too high. Better off agreeing a manageable pace beforehand than dropping off exhausted after a few km.

It's much, much easier to cycle in a group so you should easily be able to sustain your current pace (and probably a bit more) if you work as part of the group.

The first 100km is a great experience, and if you're doing reasonable distances already you should be fine.

Yeah think I might say it although I know that its all sorts of levels going from Rathnew so can latch on anywhere. I'll save this thread and post up how it goes anyway. Just hoping I can get a bike asap now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

Yeah think I might say it although I know that its all sorts of levels going from Rathnew so can latch on anywhere. I'll save this thread and post up how it goes anyway. Just hoping I can get a bike asap now!

Whats your budget - is it BTW scheme (then what is budget post deduction). Are you limited on where you can buy. I think you will get some excellent advise for free here if you post up what your in the market for.

damoz wrote: »
    Whats your budget - is it BTW scheme (then what is budget post deduction). Are you limited on where you can buy. I think you will get some excellent advise for free here if you post up what your in the market for.
    Yes through the bike to work scheme. I'm thinking about €600 to €850 on the bike and then picking up the following also (some probably on Amazon due to price differences). The high priority things for me to get with the bike for Saturday week would probably be shorts, saddle bag, helmet and a speedo. Have a multi-tool and decent enough lock.

Based on a little more research will probably buy in Think Bike in Rathmines. The bikes in my range would probably be the following but i'd be flexible to suggestions in other bike shops in the area.

Trek 1.2
    http://www.thinkbike.ie/bike_shop/2010_TREK_1_2.aspx

Trek 1.5
    http://www.thinkbike.ie/bike_shop/2010_TREK_1_5.aspx

Giant Defy 3
    http://www.thinkbike.ie/bike_shop/2010_GIANT_DEFY_3.aspx

Giant Defy 3.5
    http://www.thinkbike.ie/bike_shop/2010_GIANT_DEFY_3_5.aspx

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Open the bars before you get on the bike, makes life a lot easier :)

Enjoy it to, the KM's rocket past when you are in a group.

Hydrate regular I think is the key, every 15 mins ( I think?) is ideal.

what do you cycle on now?

Flat bar on a charity spin will be plenty enough -
    I went dub-wexford on the welcome home event last year on flat bar and was by far not the only one.

If you are spending circa 1k on a bike do you want to limit your choice by getting the 1st one available?

Also will your work issue the funds in time? They need to buy the bike, they cannot refund you for bying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

I’ve signed up to do a 100k charity cycle in 2 weeks and was wondering what the best advice people could give me would be for eating / drinking etc. along the way and if I should try a practice run and for how far and how soon beforehand?

The furthest I’ve gone before is 50k which was last week. Picking up a new bike some day this week hopefully. I know its probably nothing compared to what a lot of people here would consider a proper cycle but seems an aful long way to me at the moment!

Just sent you a PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

40 people doing Rathnew to Wexford but 5 of us have decided to start out from Dublin instead.

Are you cycling from Dublin to Wexford? That's more like 130km - a big step up on what you have done so far. Anyway, fair play to you and enjoy it.

Are you cycling from Dublin to Wexford? That's more like 130km - a big step up on what you have done so far. Anyway, fair play to you and enjoy it.
    Not going to Wexford town. Place called Ballygarret. 97k by Google maps but thats by the main roads; think we're taking the coast road which would work out further and will have to go through everywhere instead of bypassing also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Ah - tuigim anois.

The road down through Kilcoole and Newcastle to Rathnew is nice - I was on it on Saturday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I used use this site when I was preping for my first few long spins, great over all info too, enjoy

Just to update and thank people for their advice. Did 115k on Saturday after. 45k straight down to Rathnew in 90 mins. Had to wait around for half an hour or so for the charity cycle to start then on to Brittas bay, Arklow, Gorey and Ballygarret.

Was fairly handy in the end as most parts were done in stages after Rathnew. We got fed up of this then and did the last 2 20k's alone.

Bought a Cube Peleton in cycle superstor in the end. Took advantage of their 10% off loyalty scheme and got the essentials to start with.

Loved the cycle and plan on doing similar in the next couple of weeks myself without being forced to stop along the way.

Very slow pace in the charity part of the cycle. We were started from the back of a field of 50 or so at each stage and were about the first to arrive. Some ridiculous bikes being used. One guy on a 70 euro mountain bike with ridiculous suspension.

Advertisement