Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tour of Louth - Sun June 27th 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

hammerzeit.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

58996972_91eb7f583e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Yeah the Tour is back on this year, can you maintain last year's standard or get a different coloured medal!

This year entry is online and we would ask people to sign up as early as possible so we know numbers to cater for. All details are on the website. The main change is the signing on venue, which is now JJB Soccer Dome.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Loved this last year apart from Bcmf sulking all the way home because he only got a silver :rolleyes:

One of the highlights of the year for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I think I might give this a lash. It seems handier than the Tour Of Innishowen which is on the same day. Also might be a chance to finally meet some boardsies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RobFowl wrote: »
    One of the highlights of the year for me

+1, was definitely the most fun/exciting event of the year for me.

It's perfect for those who want to find out whether they enjoy fast group riding. The first half was neutralised, then an odd 10 minute sandwich stop (which was probably some sort of trap), then the pace ramped up a bit, then we hit the hill and it went completely mental.

I think the last hour was at 39kph and we completed the 102km in something like 2hr54 rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Bcmf sulking all the way home because he only got a silver :rolleyes:
    That's cause meself and TheTaxMan waz robbed by sneaky timekeeping ie. Kept the clock running while we were stopped @ the end of neutral zone.

@Lumen. That's not a hill its a poxy bloody mountain

I'll be doing it different this year. I was at the back for the neutralised part, which involved alot of short sprints out of corners, nothing too difficult though. This time I'll be keeping up the front and saving every ounce of energy for the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

...ah, the magic hill.

happygoose wrote: »
    ...ah, the magic hill.
    unfortunately its not on the route. Its a couple of miles away.

We will be passing the home of Bikepure though. I always laugh when I read the contact address. Bavan, home to a scrap yard, the world's leading anti-doping campaign and not much else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

bcmf wrote: »
    That's cause meself and TheTaxMan waz robbed by sneaky timekeeping ie. Kept the clock running while we were stopped @ the end of neutral zone.

@Lumen. That's not a hill its a poxy bloody mountain

What colour was mine, I can't seem to remember?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

unfortunately its not on the route. Its a couple of miles away.

We will be passing the home of Bikepure though. I always laugh when I read the contact address. Bavan, home to a scrap yard, the world's leading anti-doping campaign and not much else.

Why the UK phone numbers when it's based in Louth?

alfalad wrote: »
    Why the UK phone numbers when it's based in Louth?
    No idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I will do this, one of the many I skipped last year.

Probably won't be able to get a car, if I could mooch a lift and offer petrol money, that would be awesome. Willing to cycle to your door of course.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Probably won't be able to get a car, if I could mooch a lift and offer petrol money, that would be awesome. Willing to cycle to your door of course.

BCMF and I will be going from Balbriggan can backtrack as far as Swords maybe

BCMF and I will be going from Balbriggan can backtrack as far as Swords maybe

Cheers Robfowl, I can make it to Swords if it's not too far out of your way (no idea of distance).

Cheers Robfowl, I can make it to Swords if it's not too far out of your way (no idea of distance).
    Only 10-15 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

Last year was my 1st time in a fast paced group like this - I still have nightmares over the crash happening in front of me..!!!

Hammerfest and painfest all in one, but the gold medal makes it all worthwhile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I 'll do it as well so I can give you a lift (yeah we have a car now!)! But you ll probably have to wait for me at the end, I don't think I 'll be able to hold on with you guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I 'll do it as well so I can give you a lift (yeah we have a car now!)! But you ll probably have to wait for me at the end, I don't think I 'll be able to hold on with you guys.

Lads,

I could do with a lift aswell. I livein Rush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I don't think a 3rd bike will fit in the trunk mate, I don't have a bike rack.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I don't think a 3rd bike will fit in the trunk mate, I don't have a bike rack.

If Dirk is going with Astramonti we should have room

Hi got his spoke in first though ;)

It makes more sense for me to go with Astra (thank you very much for offering though Rob!), so Billy it's all yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

Is the fast pace just generally for the gold medal folks? What I'm getting at is this thing's practically on my doorstep and I'd really be interested in giving it a go. Although haven't got anywere close to 100km yet, closest was about 36km... Any chance of finishing this thing or would I be better off giving it a miss and just doing the An Post Meath tour from Trim in late July?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

I'm down for both Louth & Meath.
    Still pi$$ed off with myself after Swords last Sunday
    (Abandoned at 60k, soaked to the skin and stitch in my side........and it wasn't from laughing :mad:)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Should be on for this - missed swords due to massive hangover - was looking forward to it alot too, so hope to make up for it. would be hopeful of a gold too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Is the fast pace just generally for the gold medal folks? What I'm getting at is this thing's practically on my doorstep and I'd really be interested in giving it a go. Although haven't got anywere close to 100km yet, closest was about 36km... Any chance of finishing this thing or would I be better off giving it a miss and just doing the An Post Meath tour from Trim in late July?

This event is very doable for someone attempting their first 100km, last years Tour de Louth was my first sportive and all I can say is it was great fun, nice bunch of people and only one climb to worry about, Jenkinstown hill I think it's called, but once you're past that it's a nice flat cycle back to Dundalk, I even managed a silver medal in my semi unfit state :), so no problem to ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Sign on is 8.30, and there are two waves going out (gold & silver, followed by everyone else). Any idea what times these groups will start at? And where abouts are the food stops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

If it the same as last year it bsaically heads South of Dundalk in a circle and comes back to the start for a brief stop then of North of Dundalk across the Cooleys to Omeath along the Lough and into Carlingford and back to the start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

I've mapped this on mapmyride based on the route map that's on the website, just to get an idea of the elevation. Jenkinstown Hill really sticks out alright!

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/dundalk/698127618697948641

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I've mapped this on mapmyride based on the route map that's on the website, just to get an idea of the elevation. Jenkinstown Hill really sticks out alright!

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/dundalk/698127618697948641

This is probably a better elevation guide

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/7667859

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

decrrrrrr wrote: »
    Last year was my 1st time in a fast paced group like this - I still have nightmares over the crash happening in front of me..!!!

Hammerfest and painfest all in one, but the gold medal makes it all worthwhile...

That certainly was a hairy moment. I must've been very close to you decrrrrrr.

Not sure I can take part this year due to the knee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Anyone know if they stop the clock for the sammich break or is it 3 hours 20 including stopping?

penexpers wrote: »
    Anyone know if they stop the clock for the sammich break or is it 3 hours 20 including stopping?

They didn't stop the clock last year......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Ouch!

I presume to manage the gold pace one has to stay with a bunch throughout. Does it all spread out on Jenkinstown Hill and it's sink or swim? Or is there any sort of regroup after the descent? I don't reckon I'd be very happy doing a 7km flat out descent in a bunch.

BTW, Given that I found my pace of 27.5km/h for the Swords CC sportive fairly easy, am I up for the gold standard?
    Lumen wrote:
    The first half was neutralised

Er. What does that mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

They didn't stop the clock last year......

I think bcmf might have mentioned that to me that alright....

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    I think bcmf might have mentioned that to me that alright....

Only every day since :rolleyes:

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I presume to manage the gold pace one has to stay with a bunch throughout. Does it all spread out on Jenkinstown Hill and it's sink or swim? Or is there any sort of regroup after the descent? I don't reckon I'd be very happy doing a 7km flat out descent in a bunch.
    The group strung out. I climbed reasonably well and a group formed at the top. Not a large one, maybe 10 people. Comfortable to ride in. Niceonetom got badly positioned before the climb but descended like a demon and latched on.

The decent is not that bad but i supposed i've gone down it so many times I know where the turns are.
    BTW, Given that I found my pace of 27.5km/h for the Swords CC sportive fairly easy, am I up for the gold standard?
    There's only one way to find out.
    Er. What does that mean?
    Neutralised - There is a van in front keeping a steady pace so it keeps the bunch together. Still though if you are at the back, the bunch accordions up and stretches out at the corners so you have to sprint to keep on the back. Some weak riders were dropped in the neutralised part. But not many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

This sounds good. First sportive at the start of the month.. first hammerfest at the end!

How far appart are start times for gold/silver?

Also website asks for CI number, I guess this isnt required, and is only for info?

km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Am part of the promoting club Cuchullainn CC so any questions stick them up here. From what I have read

Clocks are not stopped for food break
    Times for gold & silver are on the website
    There will be 2 separate groups departing 1st for those aiming for gold/silver and 2nd for those just wanting to get around
    You DON'T need to be a Cycling Ireland member.

Keep the questions coming & will do my best to answer

• Advertisement

Signed up today.

I can offer a lift from Baldoyle area for up to two bikes on the boot rack.

Anywhere from Howth across to Santry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭DeviantD

Hey CDaly,
    Was chatting to you in the Swords run before your puncture, did you do the W100 last week or did you not bother.

Not sure about this run as supposed to be playing golf but i might be forced to give it a spin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

LCD wrote: »
    Am part of the promoting club Cuchullainn CC so any questions stick them up here. From what I have read

Clocks are not stopped for food break
    Times for gold & silver are on the website
    There will be 2 separate groups departing 1st for those aiming for gold/silver and 2nd for those just wanting to get around
    You DON'T need to be a Cycling Ireland member.

Keep the questions coming & will do my best to answer

Once you've signed in at 830 can you head off or do you have to wait for the official 10-00am start?

Also can you just roll through the food stop (as dont really need one for 100k) or do you have to wait for certain period?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Also can you just roll through the food stop (as dont really need one for 100k) or do you have to wait for certain period?

Ssssssshhh that's the secret plan ;)

DeviantD wrote: »
    Was chatting to you in the Swords run before your puncture, did you do the W100 last week or did you not bother.

Nah, I'm not a climber. Who knows how that may change in the future tho..

Signed up for thsi now! come on good weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Think i might give this one another go this yr, can't do any worse than the medal i got last yr, i'm not mentioning what colour it was too :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

The WW200 has left me wanting more sportives, so I'm definitely up for this.
    Signed up today.

I can offer a lift from Baldoyle area for up to two bikes on the boot rack.

Anywhere from Howth across to Santry...
    I don't suppose I could grab a spot? I'll be cycling from near Dun Laoghaire, so will cycle to wherever is most convenient for yourself. Petrol etc. covered, naturally.

Yeah, no prob. If you're coming over by the East Link, I could meet you around Fairview or some such.

• Advertisement
Advertisement