Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tour of Louth - Sun June 27th 2010

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Only my third sportive after the M3 and Swords spins and for me the most enjoyable of the 3.
    Met Astra Monti, Dirk Voodoo and a "still simmering about the injustice of it all" bcmf before the start.
    I was in the silver group and the first 50k were relatively easy, we were back in Dundalk before we knew it but then of course we hit 'le hill' Struggled on the ascent but coasted down the other side and recharged the batteries.
    Made a bad error and ran out of drinks around Carlingford but luckily a nice young man (from a Galway CC I think) gave me a bit of water so legs felt good and carried onwards to the finish.
    Slightly disappointed as I was aiming for silver and ended up with bronze but I was under orders not to take risks and fall off as we're off to Italia for holidays on Tuesday. :)
    According to my Garmin I did 108k in 4hrs 12mins which I'm fairly happy with considering my age, fitness level and that bloody 'hill'.
    Next one for me is the Tour of Meath on July 25th and I'll be back here for my silver medal next year! :)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Absolutely loved this sportive today, was great fun shame it had to end. Signed up with the Gold group but my mates were going with the Silver group so it was Silver group for me. About 14-16 of us were doing our turns on the front all day, finished i think in 3hr 10min average slightly over 32km, knocked 40 odd mins off my time for this sportive compared to last yr so very happy.

Met El Tel, God I Hate The Hills, caught some other boardsie on a white Plant X who tried to stay with our group, i shouted come on boardsie to try and help him along but looks like his legs were gone, not sure who he was ?

@Rigal i was in that "quick sliver group" that caught u, were u wearing a boards jersey ?

@keano007 maybe u were in the group with me ? Boards jersey on a Colnago ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

@ furiousox The bitterness has gone but I still dont have a gold medal to show. THAT BLOODY HILL and headwind did a huge amount of damage to me time wise
    Was GIHTH wearing US Postal Jersey? If so fair play to her for going up to the lad with the downshifters and telling him he was dangerous. Which he was. I have nothing against downshifters but when every time you shift it causes you to wobble big time then its a prob.
    Gotta say its great to have sportives like this when you get a taste (speed wise)of what it is like in probabaly a2 race. At one stage on the runin to Castlebellingham I glanced at my speedo after a quick 'out of the saddle' moment and saw it read over 5okmh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

That was a tough one with the winds..!! Enjoyable day though..

Had a feeling with the change to specific groups this year, that the Gold grouping would be a lot faster than last year and boy was I right..!! Started in this group and by the Ardee road I was starting to drop off the pace. Thankfully a new group formed of about 14 people and I worked with them to Jenkinstown Hill (I got nobodys name but included a girl in Tri gear, 2009 Sean Kelly Jersey, Orwell Wheeler, Oriel Wheeler, Sword CC, Team Katusha Kit, Gerolsteiner kit, a cool Pink Floyd Jersey).

The group split at this point. Was pretty much alone over the mountain until I caught the guy from Orwell. We worked alone in the wind and rain. Thankfully our original group reformed around Carlingford and worked together back to Dundalk.

3 hours 5 mins for just over 102KM. Delighted with that and knocked around 14 minutes off my time from last year..

The organisers should really think about taking us to the TV mast next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭scooters

Love this run today, was my first sportief in about 10 years!! Was going really well until the climb where I died, the road was wet and every time I got out of the saddle my back wheel was just spinning:mad: I struggled a fair bit on the run into Carlingford and onto Dundalk. Was the very last silver rider across the line in 3.59:P

Thanks to my mate Chris who paced me all day and even turned around on the climb to give me a dig out(much respect)

Roll on the next 100k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

3:04:25 for me. Less fit than I was last year, but my bike position is better and a bit more aero and I'm better in a group so that probably made up for it. The pace at the start was blisteringly fast. I couldn't hold it on the outskirts of Dundalk so I was on my own till I met two guys ahead and one lad came from behind, in and around the climb. We then did rotations from Omeath back to Dundalk. Everyone doing their best. Fair play to the lads who kept up with the gold group till the climb. Too hot for me at this moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

Really enjoyed today got in in 3.44 silver fast pace early on stuck it till Dundalk then got lost (not a native )but a good day overall.This was my first 100 km run so I was happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Enjoyed the spin today. Finished at 2:42 (38.1kph) . Made the lead group and four of us finished first. I grabbed the first medal but in reality there was no sprint for the finish so places 1-4 were the same.

Started with DirkVoodoo and godihatethehills. First 50k was foot to the floor stuff. Spotted lots of boardsies at this stage with Taxman, DirkVoodoo and blowfish taking turns. Head wind first (40kph) then tail wind (50kph) Hit "the hill" in about 5th place with Dirk on my tail. It all broke up then and and 10min of suffering and sweating later on the top there was a group of 4 of us. 3 from the local club, and myself.

The run back to Dundalk was uneventful apart from the fact that I've never been in a group that worked as well as that. We did about 30k without anyone missing a turn. Sweet. The finish was a bit of an anticlimax as I was expecting a sprint, esp with 3 from the same club against me but in the end we rolled in (apart from about 2 mins stopped at traffic lights!).

Well done to the organisers, good day out and a good workout.

Details here (Edit: Lap 3 was the Tour, Lap 1 was Saturday's spin)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Sorry keano I didn't want to sound like a twat or a hero, apologies for that, I was quite edgy at that point and was doing math at my head how much we need to push to be on time. I was in a Boards jersey and Rob was in a swords one and I as said myself and him shared most of the load in the front, there was a guy with a blue planetx who tried to help and another with a clear rain jacket that took his turn close to the end before the left turn. I don't remember anyone else, maybe Rob can help, so apologies again.

My finish time was 3:14 and my recollection was pretty much the same. A gut in a clear rain jacket with (? Casse D'espagne gear underneath) did some good turns ands did a guy on a Blue planet x with an Endura gillet but most of the long turns were done aby the two of os. Certainly from my garmin all the sustained ones over 30kph were.

Personally enjoyed it although had a few disasters. Gear cable slipped at start of climb and had to get off an readjust. Also 5 mins later saddle bag (on its yearly outing) broke and spilled stuff over the climb had to turn back and stuff it all in the back pockets (thanks to the lady who pointed out that I'd left it behind after I threw it away in a fit of pique).

Experimented with red bull shots , never again queasy for 10 mins after then had to stop to spew it up.

Heathly pursuit this cycling lark :rolleyes:.

PS stuck with the front group for the first 30+k but when was spun off my 53/15 at 56kph decided to back off ......

Well done to all who finished and as of this evening achieved my target weight for the year (if only I didn'y have to rehydrate).

BCMF seemed happy this year and to be fair to him he was worrking til 0300 this am and is back working tonight.

If only the wife and I were talking now t'would be a perefct evening watching Stevie Wonder at glastonbury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Need to check my Garmin on this, but I was pretty brutal. Great fun though!

It was indeed fairly fast from the start and we were all working pretty well. I have some serious issues though with what is essentially an unmarshaled route done at race pace with some VERY mixed abilities. Guys were passing on the inside, not seeming to realise in a paceline you take your turn and wait for the next rotation. TWICE in front of me guys touched wheels (but stayed up) because they were trying to move to the right and get up to the front. It's a sportive, let's just do a bit of work and get around, no one wants to fall off because of some reckless cycling.

Anyway, aside from a few muppets the majority of the riders were excellent and it was really going well until the climb. I don't know what happened to me but I was at the front going into it and felt ok, then boom! Legs decided to pack it in and I was slipping back through the pack. I mean, I normally do ok on hills, certainly better than on the flat so it was a bit puzzling and disheartening to be in my lowest gear and having no power to even keep up.

Regrouped with a few guys (swords lad, some "cuchullain" riders, a sky rider, WC kit and some others) at the top. Cruised back onto the coast road and started working well but the headwind was brutal and when I started missing a few turns I decided to drop off rather than hang on.

This backfired a tiny bit, there was no one behind me so I had about 25km of solo into the wind. Did my best TT impression and kept it around 30 km/hr on some very boring national roads. When I got to the race track just outside Dundalk some of the group who I had been with (stopped for puncture) caught me and I got back on. Crossed the line around 3hrs 2mins, not too happy with my performance. I've tried recently to pace myself according to Diarmuid seeing as we have been doing a lot of the same events. I have yet to get near to him, today was no different.

Tomorrow will be a rest day.

I don't know if I would do it agian to be honest, it's worth doing once but it was quite dangerous early on and I don't like drafting someone who is unpredictable (yes, I could ride up front and be safe but I'm not that strong).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

decrrrrrr wrote: »

Had a feeling with the change to specific groups this year, that the Gold grouping would be a lot faster than last year and boy was I right..!! Started in this group and by the Ardee road I was starting to drop off the pace. Thankfully a new group formed of about 14 people and I worked with them to Jenkinstown Hill (I got nobodys name but included a girl in Tri gear, 2009 Sean Kelly Jersey, Orwell Wheeler, Oriel Wheeler, Sword CC, Team Katusha Kit, Gerolsteiner kit, a cool Pink Floyd Jersey).

The group split at this point. Was pretty much alone over the mountain until I caught the guy from Orwell. We worked alone in the wind and rain. Thankfully our original group reformed around Carlingford and worked together back to Dundalk.

3 hours 5 mins for just over 102KM. Delighted with that and knocked around 14 minutes off my time from last year..

That would be me, thanks for not saying 'Guy on a really old clapped out bike' :)

That was a really good group, pretty much everyone seemed to do their bit, it's just a shame it broke up on the hill, I ended up doing the Omeath to Carlingford stretch into the wind on my own, without that I might have made under three hours. Still there's always next year.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Enjoyed the spin today. Finished at 2:42 (38.1kph). Made the lead group and four of us finished first.

Fantastic effort, that was a few minutes faster than last year (same route?) and pretty much the same result - a very small lead group getting away from the boardsies on the hill and staying away, except you managed to stay with the break.

Next year we should definitely try and get a team "win" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Silver for me, and happy with that as have a bad knee the last while so spins have been limited. First section was nice and there was a group of 10 or so of us taking turns at the front every couple of minutes, there was a Dundalk club guy who was calling so that kept everyone moving and was good. Pace was ok but would have liked it to be faster, stopped at JJB as had no breakfast and needed something, but once we got back out the rotation stopped and the group started to fall apart so I ended up at the front for a lot of it till we hit the hill. That was nasty and it had started raining as we were climbing so couldn't get out of the saddle. At the top I coasted to get my breath and as the group had been blown apart I wanted to see had anyone else made it up close to me as I was 1st/2nd up, my brother who is actually in the club in Dundalk was close behind me and we were joined by one other girl from the club and it was the three of us for most of the way back but i led for most of the way, certainly 25km and actually fell 100 yards behind as we came into Dundalk and the wind tunnel that was the road by the race track took what ever I had out of me! But still got the silver, had a cup of coffee and made it to Croke Park to see the Meath Dublin game, given the result it was a great day for me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 baap86

I'm knackered today. This scares me because in three weeks time I'll have to do:

Sunday - 103km (includes hills as we go through wicklow)
    Monday - 75km
    Tuesday - 108km
    Wednesday - 168km
    Thursday - 105km

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

@decrrrrrr - I was in the Owell jersey, that was a great event, great work done by all that group

I clocked 3.05 as well (3.04.58 by the miracle of new-fangled satellite computer technology - so we broke the 3.05 :D by loads)

That was a tough gig - the start of the A2/A3 race gold group went off like a rocket, good jaysus we were flying, by the time we got along the Ardee road I was looking at my speed and saying there was no way I was going to keep that up all the way for 64miles, and especially with that hill lying in wait for us.

That group we formed from the Ardee road on was a great group, everyone did there turn and they were all good riders, we were moving well on the road from Ardee to Dundalk, really good pace there, no hanging around.

I enjoyed the hill, it was fairly hot going up it, got over the top grand and that descent was grand, although you'd to work the whole way down it - I wasn't bothered with burying myself all the way down the hill, as I was on my own at that stage, and was going to wait for a group to come up from befind.

Decrrrrrr caught up with me at the bottom of descent and we worked together on the Omeath-Carlingford road into the wind - that wind was a curse and we caught 2 other lads, and then the original group got back together again around Carlingford as Decrrrrrr said. We worked well there, but that whole stretch from Omeath to Greenore along the lough was tough with the wind, and that's probably where we lost our 5mins (to be able to get in under the 3hr mark) but it was still a great effort by all.

Everyone worked really well from Carlingford all the way round again to Dundalk - with suitable Ms. Motivator words from that girl from Phoenix Triathlon ;) - on the ring road I can tell ya I was getting fed up with those bloody roundabouts wondering which one was ours to get back to the finish, and the effin wind was a curse there as well.

I also think I sweated half my body weight.

some details in the image below

@RobFowl - Dear sir: could you please refrain from littering the countryside with your discarded bicycles, as you perambulate up and down the quiet and winding roads of Co. Louth looking for the floatsom and jetsom of your mechanical demises, thank you ;):D - go on ya legend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

RobFowl wrote: »
    My finish time was 3:14 and my recollection was pretty much the same. A gut in a clear rain jacket with (? Casse D'espagne gear underneath) did some good turns ands did a guy on a Blue planet x with an Endura gillet but most of the long turns were done aby the two of os. Certainly from my garmin all the sustained ones over 30kph were.

Personally enjoyed it although had a few disasters. Gear cable slipped at start of climb and had to get off an readjust. Also 5 mins later saddle bag (on its yearly outing) broke and spilled stuff over the climb had to turn back and stuff it all in the back pockets (thanks to the lady who pointed out that I'd left it behind after I threw it away in a fit of pique).

Experimented with red bull shots , never again queasy for 10 mins after then had to stop to spew it up.

Heathly pursuit this cycling lark :rolleyes:.

PS stuck with the front group for the first 30+k but when was spun off my 53/15 at 56kph decided to back off ......

Well done to all who finished and as of this evening achieved my target weight for the year (if only I didn'y have to rehydrate).

BCMF seemed happy this year and to be fair to him he was worrking til 0300 this am and is back working tonight.

If only the wife and I were talking now t'would be a perefct evening watching Stevie Wonder at glastonbury.

Looks like we were all in the same group then guys. hmmmm i wonder did i do the work i should of being doing....maybe not after all.....so I'll have to apoligise to AstraMonti and Robfowl for this as they were obvisiouly in my group.

All i remember was I suffered quite alot on this spin especially when the group formed at about the 75km mark. When i came down off the hill at the T-Junction I met a guy from celbridge who had tri bars on his bike and it was after carlingford that we seemed to get into this group with ye guys. i dunno if this guy is on Boards but if he is you made alot of people nervous when you were down on the tri bars in the group. NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Anyway, @AstraMonti maybe it should be me saying sorry when i replied to your post yesterday i was lying on my couch in agony after the cycle. This was probably my first time properly cycling in a group and when i was at the front all i wanted to do was drop back......and to be honest maybe i didn't spend enough time at the front when i should of being there but it was a VERY tough spin for me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

keano007 wrote: »
    made a lot of people nervous when you were down on the tri bars in the group. NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Heh, the tri bars were a godsend when running solo or chasing the back of a group. I stayed off them within groups though. Mind you, after 30min or so of riding on hoods I was getting pins and needles in the arms/hands and was just longing to get down on the tri-bars.

Is the worry with tri-bars just a matter of being too far from the brakes or is there weaving to worry about too?
    when i was at the front all i wanted to do was drop back......and to be honest maybe i didn't spend enough time at the front when i should of being there but it was a VERY tough spin for me!!!

The group I was with it was probably no more than about 30sec - 2 min at the front depending on how strong you were. When it came to my turn, I would move up on the right, pace the guy/gal on the left for a bit and then push on and move over. It was pretty much up to the next rider to pull up in front of me when they chose. Mind you, I found my speed dropping off at the front so it might have defaulted to them being in front a bit sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Really enjoyed yesterday’s ride, was particularly good to finally meet some fellow Boardsies- Petethedrummer, Zorba, DirkVoodoo, Astramonti, The Taxman, Cdaly (I think) plus others, apologies for not getting/remembering names! Too much to take in on one day!!

I had thought that the riders going for silver and gold would be in one big group with the gold wheat being separated by natural selection from the silver chaff on the route and so hedged my bets a bit and signed for silver before the start, thinking I could test my legs before deciding which bunch to hide in :) . As it happened, it would seem that most Boards members whom i'd met earlier were in the gold and so when we were separated out by the marshall at the start point I had to bid farewell to my new friends who got off in the premier group. Shame because I was just getting into a good conversation with Astramonti!

Anyway, the speed of silver group suited me well and as it turned out Zorba was in this group too, although I reckon the quicker group would have been his natural habitat. I think there may have been one or two other boards people but like myself they were in club or other gear. The group was well controlled by some local guys and the speed was kept up around 21-22mph, with about 15 or so of us taking good, regular turns at the front, the rest (maybe 15-20? – I didn’t get time to look back so couldn’t tell) happy to sit in. Once we turned at Ardee and picked up the tailwind the pace went up again all the way back through to Dundalk. Heading on out after Dundalk fewer people were coming through to the front, probably trying to keep their powder dry for the climb. At the hill bodies were suddenly everywhere and I made the incorrect decision to do my own thing and take things at an easy pace. Really I should have just given it the max and actively tried to stick with the stronger climbers so we could regroup after the descent into Omeath as planned. As it turned out it was good night Vienna as far as sticking with the bunch was concerned.

By the top I my head was starting to fry (would love not to have to wear a helmet on climbs) and so the sudden lashing rain was a godsend. I don't mind getting a good soaking on the bike and this was great, the rain drops were jagging like needles on my arms and legs. Coming down was fun as the roads were a bit greasy but I passed at least one person who had just picked themselves up from a spill.

In Omeath myself, a chap from Limerick called Andrew (a friend of a Boardsie I understand), and a couple of others figured we could make the gold time if we worked together. I had reckoned that it would have been easily doable but our groupetto fragmented, with a few people joining and departing along the way. Andrew and I worked hard together and kept a good pace but the headwind around by the Horse race track was like a wall and was easily taking 5-6 mph out of us. To compound things we hit a couple of red lights and so we finally rolled to the finish line in 3 hours 25 minutes.

Close but no gold cigar! Great craic nonetheless. And also brilliant to ride on decent quality roads for once- in my part of the country the roads are like Flanders! Yesterday’s felt like silk in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

el tel wrote: »
    In Omeath myself, a chap from Limerick called Andrew (a friend of a Boardsie I understand),
    He's a mate of a mate of mine. I go cycling with him occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Lumen wrote: »
    Fantastic effort, that was a few minutes faster than last year (same route?) and pretty much the same result - a very small lead group getting away from the boardsies on the hill and staying away, except you managed to stay with the break.
    It was the same route but I don't know where they started it from last year (after the roll out). Just checked the Garmin now and we lost 1m30s at the last two traffic lights. Having a lead car + motorbike that stops at lights is a bummer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

mc2000 wrote: »

I also think I sweated half my body weight.

some details in the image below

Flipping hell - how did you manage to hit 214 heart rate at the start mc2000?? were you trying an early break away..??? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

One more thing : I think if I was doing this next year, I'd probably join the silver group. I went with the gold group and was dropped within 100m of the start (no joking). Spent ages trying to catch up and eventually lost them. By that stage I was on my own. The silver group caught me just passed Ardee but by that stage I was so tired that I couldn't keep up with that group either.

el tel wrote: »
    Anyway, the speed of silver group suited me well and as it turned out Zorba was in this group too, although I reckon the quicker group would have been his natural habitat.

Dunno about that what with the 40-50 kph speedfest they had !
    penexpers wrote: »
    One more thing : I think if I was doing this next year, I'd probably join the silver group. I went with the gold group and was dropped within 100m of the start (no joking). Spent ages trying to catch up and eventually lost them. By that stage I was on my own. The silver group caught me just passed Ardee but by that stage I was so tired that I couldn't keep up with that group either.

Were u wearing a boards jersey, remember passing a boardsie somewhere around ardee area was wondering what happened to them.

Flipping hell - how did you manage to hit 214 heart rate at the start mc2000?? were you trying an early break away..??? :)

er, according to that chart my ticker exploded - I think the garmin I have sometimes picks up spikes from other HRs maybe, or overhead power lines make it go doolally.

Or else I did hit 214 :cool::eek:

...Gentlemen....we can rebuild him...we have the technology..,we have the capability....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

mc2000 wrote: »
    er, according to that chart my ticker exploded - I think the garmin I have sometimes picks up spikes from other HRs maybe, or overhead power lines make it go doolally.

Or else I did hit 214 :cool::eek:

...Gentlemen....we can rebuild him...we have the technology..,we have the capability....

They definitely do something weird. I've gone out without a HR monitor and when I upload to Garmin connect I have a complete HR profile. Not just a flat reading but one with lots of peaks and troughs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Zorba wrote: »
    Were u wearing a boards jersey, remember passing a boardsie somewhere around ardee area was wondering what happened to them.

That was me alright.

penexpers wrote: »
    That was me alright.

Ah right was wondering who it was, sorry i didn't get the chance to shout some encouragement

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

Really enjoyed that sportive and well chuffed to finish it,
    even if it did take 5 hours :D

First sportive in many years and very impressed with the setup !!

I'll definitely be back next year and gunning for the silver......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Really enjoyed the day. Good to catch up with some familiar faces(you know who you are) and got to meet Blowfish and el tel before the start,always nice to put faces to names around here.

I set off with the gold group and thought I'd only last about 20k seeing that I haven't done anything serious on the bike since the Mick Byrne 200. Found myself down the back and after last years spill in front of me I decided to head up towards the head of the group. Before I knew it I was doing my turn at the front and kept going back up for some more. Every time I got to the front I was just waiting for my legs to give up dramatically on me but they kept spinning away.

Similar to petethedrummer I lost the group on the outskirts on Dundalk on the exact same stretch of road as last year,well at least I'm consistent.
    As I passed the start point I thought I'd lost sight of the lead group but started to see smaller groups of riders up ahead,so started to bridge the gap. As I closed on them I noticed they had numbers on their backs or bikes and started wondering who they were and what event they were in. At this stage I'm wondering if I'm even on the right road after just following these riders but I eventually spot some road markings at a roundabout. Then I took the wrong exit off the next roundabout,took the third and not the forth exit as I should have.Luckily it only added about 1km to the total.

Plodded on while the legs still had life in them and about 1km before the climb I finally caught people front the original lead group.
    Hit the start of the climb and with the legs now starting to fade and the dead heat I started to suffer.Then the two guys I'd just passed caught me along with petethedrummer,I tried to keep up with pete but the body refused to play. Knew the hill from last year so took it handy and paced myself to the top. Hated every inch of the decent,like last year and then I hit the rain coming back onto the main road.

Worked for a while with a guy from Swords CC(IIRC) and someone else but as we hit the rain again I had to pull up to stick my rain jacket on and stretch the oncoming cramp out of my legs. Was on my own some more till that group with mc2000 and the Ms.Motivator swept me up.
    @mc2000 I was wearing a black PBK rain jacket hiding an Orwell top underneath. I should have said hello to a club member but a chat was the last thing on my mind at that stage of the day.
    I dropped off that group to remove said jacket due to overheating big time and had to just put the head down and try to nurse my battered body and legs back to Dundalk. Solo TT back into Dundalk which suddenly went tits up just before the first roundabout when my legs just cramped up and nothing I did would help rid the pain,was passed by another large group at speed that included godihatethehills but couldn't stay with them.Then got stuck at a red light and lost about 2 minutes.:mad:

Finished in great pain with a time of 3:10/32.6 kph average.(details in my sig)

Well done to the organisers for another great event. Roll on next year for the bronze.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 juratelle

Enjoyed my first 100km :) It was tough .. especially that hill. Anyway, I've reached finish and I'm really happy about it (won't even mention my time lol)
    Anyway, it was good experience which helped me to decide to get rid of my bike and get a proper racing one :) See you next year!

• Advertisement

@mc2000 I was wearing a black PBK rain jacket hiding an Orwell top underneath. I should have said hello to a club member but a chat was the last thing on my mind at that stage of the day.

hey tax man, no worries, I'd say lots of people were "in the zone [of pain]:eek:" at that stage - that stretch into the headwind into Greenore, and the bit from Greenore with those drags and then back that loooooong road to Dundalk - plenty of people starting to suffer there, especially after doing the first half at a decent pace and the hill [and descent you've to work on] the old legs start feeling it after about 45miles of that, and you've still 20ish to go at that stage.

Advertisement