Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macroom - Restaurant and Pub recommendations

Options
  • 09-06-2010 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I will be spending a weekend in Macroom at the end of June. Can anyone recommend any pubs and restaurants in the town?

Cheers,
    TC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Castle Hotel is OK for dining!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I'm not a fan of the Castle's food to be honest.

Granvilles is lovely and the early bird menu is great value if you are on a budget.

The Auld Triangle is a nice pub/restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

PcAngel wrote: »
    Castle Hotel is OK for dining!

Castle Hotel is very nice for the dining room. If you want a change from the hotel though Granvilles on Castle Street is yummy also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Miaireland wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the Castle's food to be honest.

Granvilles is lovely and the early bird menu is great value if you are on a budget.

The Auld Triangle is a nice pub/restaurant.

Best quality food in town in Granvilles, end of story :) I think they've made an extension on to their premises recently too, I'd recommend making a reservation.

However, Castle Hotel does excellent pub grub and would be cheaper than Granvilles.

The Auld Triangle does decent pub grub too, but if you're looking for a waited table you could try their Nights restaurant. Food is quite nice, though a little pricey in my opinion, the difference between the bar food prices and the restaurant prices is not justified in my opinion.

Pub wise, you've a few choices, pubs are only Ok, most of them have character tho :) I'd recommend TP Cotters, Cronins, Goldens (aka Garards) and Dineens. Stay away from Penns and the nightclub, O Riadas :)

Enjoy your stay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Granvilles is nice. I love the auld triangle the servive is fantastic with lovley staff. I think a feed with a few pints in the auld triangle and a nice walk in to town then after sounds good,providing the weather is like this:)

• Advertisement

I know this isn't directly related to the thread, but the Crows Nest re-opened in Lissardagh, popped in there after running the Cork marathon last Monday. It's been completely renovated and is a fine spot, food was fantastic. They've a very reasonable specials menu (usual roasts, etc) and a la carte menu, I had the curry with nan bread and my wife had the steak, both very nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Yesterday 21:19trotter_incI know this isn't directly related to the thread, but the Crows Nest re-opened in Lissardagh, popped in there after running the Cork marathon last Monday. It's been completely renovated and is a fine spot, food was fantastic. They've a very reasonable specials menu (usual roasts, etc) and a la carte menu, I had the curry with nan bread and my wife had the steak, both very nice smile.gif
    Yesterday 21:19
    trotter, been dying to see what it's like since it re-opened, are they doing salads, sandwiches, etc??? what are the prices comparable to?

cjmcork wrote: »
    Yesterday 21:19
    trotter, been dying to see what it's like since it re-opened, are they doing salads, sandwiches, etc??? what are the prices comparable to?

I was never in it before last Monday but it's really nice inside, very clean and the staff are really really nice and friendly!

They've 2 menus, they've a 'specials' menu which has a couple roasts on it, a fish of the day dish, soup and a good few other meals for in or around the €12 mark I think.

The other menu is the a la carte menu which has more expensive dishes such as steak, curry (which is great) with naan bread, couple of chicken and fish dishes. The curry and other main dishes were in or around the €14 mark which is very reasonable for the quality of them. This menu also has sandwiches, soup, paninis, salads etc on it, not too sure on the prices but going by the rest of it I'd assume they're quite good.

They also do breakfasts which I can't wait to try. The place is really making an effort on pushing the food side of the business, I'd be interested in checking the place out on a Friday or Saturday night to see what the drinking atmosphere is like.

They've a couple of photos here actually but no menu http://www.crowsnest.ie/lisarda/index.html

Let us know what you think of it if you get the chance to stop by :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

What happened to Buns n Stuff?

PcAngel wrote: »
    What happened to Buns n Stuff?

My wife asked them why they were closing down, the person behind the counter (not sure if it was the owner) said that there wasnt much business!

I don't get it though, I went in there on a Saturday afternoon a couple of times to get some of their bread and a good few times they had practically nothing left. On some Saturdays they would close before 4:00, I thought this would have been their busiest day! I never understood why they never made enough bread to meet the demands.

Pity though, I loved their bread, sticking with Lynches now, damn good brown bread at a fantastic price :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

My wife asked them why they were closing down, the person behind the counter (not sure if it was the owner) said that there wasnt much business!

I don't get it though, I went in there on a Saturday afternoon a couple of times to get some of their bread and a good few times they had practically nothing left. On some Saturdays they would close before 4:00, I thought this would have been their busiest day! I never understood why they never made enough bread to meet the demands.

Pity though, I loved their bread, sticking with Lynches now, damn good brown bread at a fantastic price :)

I asked the one of the owners and she told me it was because of their overheads. It is a shame to see it gone.:(

Advertisement