Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked to sign a 3 day contract?

Options
  • 09-06-2010 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Having worked in my present job for the last 7 years on a full time basis i was asked last September to go on a 3 day week on a temporary basis. I had no choice but to accept this until business picked up which it has done recently. However last week my boss handed me a new contract which he wants signed but this contract is only for 3 days. I dont want to sign it as it basically says im working a 3 day week forever. Does anywhere know where i stand on this? Can i refuse to sign?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

What are the terms of your current contract?

You always have the option not to sign, but only you know what the consequences of not signing might be. You cannot (as far as I recall) be sacked for not signing, but if things are slow there could be another "reason".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

nipplenuts wrote: »
    What are the terms of your current contract?

You always have the option not to sign, but only you know what the consequences of not signing might be. You cannot (as far as I recall) be sacked for not signing, but if things are slow there could be another "reason".

Things aren't slow anymore. Business has picked up considerably in the last 2 months and i was expecting to be back on 5 days soon.

And there definately isnt another "reason"

My current contract is for a 5 day week. Must dig it out and read thru it tonight but i dont feel comfortable signing something which basically means im accepting a 3 day week forever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

Do a memo seeking to have the three days replaced with five

keep everything in writing

seek replies in writing
    see attached link

http://www.unionconnect.ie/rights/5/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

hitman79 wrote: »
    Things aren't slow anymore. Business has picked up considerably in the last 2 months and i was expecting to be back on 5 days soon.

And there definately isnt another "reason"

My current contract is for a 5 day week. Must dig it out and read thru it tonight but i dont feel comfortable signing something which basically means im accepting a 3 day week forever :(

I assume you asked your boss why he has given you this contract when the 3 day week that you went on was supposed to be temporary?

Did you point out that business has increased considerably in the last few months.

You can of course refuse to sign it but we don't know what the consequences of that will be. If you do have to sign try and get a review clause in it at 6 months to go back to a full 5 day week along with the parameters for going from a 3 to a 5 day week. (its a roundabout way in finding out their justification for putting you on a three day week as well).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

gandalf wrote: »
    I assume you asked your boss why he has given you this contract when the 3 day week that you went on was supposed to be temporary?

Did you point out that business has increased considerably in the last few months.

You can of course refuse to sign it but we don't know what the consequences of that will be. If you do have to sign try and get a review clause in it at 6 months to go back to a full 5 day week along with the parameters for going from a 3 to a 5 day week. (its a roundabout way in finding out their justification for putting you on a three day week as well).

No i haven't asked why he gave me the contract. My boss is far from approachable so will just wait til he calls me in looking for it and will then ask him why he's asking me to sign a 3 day week contract.

I will only sign if he agrees to alter it to working 5 days but temporarily on 3 days or something to that effect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement