Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Angel...how to retrieve backed up data

• 09-06-2010 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

My laptop crashed at the weekend. I used PC Angel to clear the hard drive and back up my files.
    These went into a file labelled "recovery" but when I try to go into it, I get the PC Angel logo and a warning telling me not to alter the file or data will be permanantly lost.

I think this file has all my music and photos so don't want to risk losing it. I've none of the stuff that came with the laptop as it's a few years old now. It's an iQon.

Any ideas? Keep the terminology simple if possible. I'm not the best on the old IT. :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

ash23 wrote: »
    My laptop crashed at the weekend. I used PC Angel to clear the hard drive and back up my files.
    These went into a file labelled "recovery" but when I try to go into it, I get the PC Angel logo and a warning telling me not to alter the file or data will be permanantly lost.

I think this file has all my music and photos so don't want to risk losing it. I've none of the stuff that came with the laptop as it's a few years old now. It's an iQon.

Any ideas? Keep the terminology simple if possible. I'm not the best on the old IT. :o

Did you make the backup\image? & where is it stored?

Is there a recovery partition on the system? You'll know if you see an "F" key option to recover system at post.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Did you make the backup\image? & where is it stored?

Well, it asked did I want to and I clicked on yes.

Is there a recovery partition on the system?

When I click on the file labelled recovery (D drive) the PC angel system tells me that is the recovery partition.
    You'll know if you see an "F" key option to recover system at post.
    Not sure I understand this bit. At post? When turning on the laptop I can hit F11 and it brings me into the PC angel program.

At post? When turning on the laptop I can hit F11 and it brings me into the PC angel program.

And does that not give you the option to recover your system?

By the way, when you say your system "Crashed" what exactly happened?
    -

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

And does that not give you the option to recover your system?

Thats what I did initially. Now the problem is that I can't access the files I backed up as every time I try to get into the folder marked "Recovery", it tells me that it's the recovery partition and not to go near it.

By the way, when you say your system "Crashed" what exactly happened?
    -

I was online and then loads of internet windows kept opening. About 40+. I wasn't touching anything. then the laptop shut down and when I turned it on, the PC Angel system said there had been a serious error and asked me to decide between restore factory settings with/without backing up files.

I chose with backup and the program ran, laptop restarted and reinstalled windows and all was fine with the laptop.
    I just can't find my backed up files.

Thats what I did initially. Now the problem is that I can't access the files I backed up as every time I try to get into the folder marked "Recovery", it tells me that it's the recovery partition and not to go near it.

I was online and then loads of internet windows kept opening. About 40+. I wasn't touching anything. then the laptop shut down and when I turned it on, the PC Angel system said there had been a serious error and asked me to decide between restore factory settings with/without backing up files.

I chose with backup and the program ran, laptop restarted and reinstalled windows and all was fine with the laptop.
    I just can't find my backed up files.

When you hit F11 at startup does it give you more than one option? or is full recovery only?

I use Acronis and am not too familiar with PC Angel but I'd imagine the princeable would be the same? You can restore an image of the whole system or just restore a backup of files or folders you created yourself.

Did PC Angel come as preinstalled with your system originally or do you actually have the program?

-

• Advertisement

When you hit F11 at startup does it give you more than one option? or is full recovery only?

It gives a few. Can't remember specifically (I'm in work) but will post the exact options later.

Did PC Angel come as preinstalled with your system originally or do you actually have the program?

-

It came pre installed.

It gives a few. Can't remember specifically (I'm in work) but will post the exact options later.

I'd say one of the options will be to restore a backup (which is what you want to do now) as opposed to a system recovery restore?

If the option to restore a "Backup" is there? choose that, it should then ask you to point(Browse to your backup file created originally by yourself) & then restore that.

-

Advertisement