Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lucan to Cootehill, Co. Cavan - whats the best route?

• 09-06-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Guys

I haven't yet had the pleasure of a trip on it yet, but now that the M3 is up and running I am just wondering what is the best route from Lucan to the general Cootehill area in Co. Cavan.
    Previously I have found that the best route from a time savings point of view, is Lucan village, R419 to Clonee, N3 (now the R147) to Navan, R162 Shercock via Kingscourt, and finally the R192 to Cootehill.
    AA Routeplanner would have sent me onto the M50 (€2 toll), then the M1 (€1.90 toll), turning off onto the N33 to Ardee, N2 to Carricmacross, R178 to Shercock and R192 to Cootehill - I am not convinced with AA Routeplanner, and so am not convinved this would have been the most direct route for me (regardless of the combined toll of €3.90 toll - so no need for Cavanman jokes!)
    However now that the M3 is in operation, does anyone know (AA route planner do not yet have the M3 on their system, so thats why I'm asking the question) if I am better off driving the full length of the new motorway, paying a combined toll of €2.60, merging onto the existing N3 from the Cavan / Meath border onwards, turning off the N3 for the R165 through Stradone, and finally the R188 to Cootehill.
    Or alternatively taking the M3 as far as Navan (€1.30 toll), then the R162 to Shercock and R192 to Cootehill?
    Or finally stick to the old N3 (now R147) to Navan? - although I'd imagine the NRA have designed the interchanges to deter people avoiding the tolls...

BTW this trip is only made on a 6 weekly basis on average, so avoiding tolls is not an issue for me, as opposed to people making a daily return trip commute.

This is a pretty long winded question, which really only applies to fellow Cavan people, but I am interested to know if anyone else makes a similar trip who has learned by trial and error which route is best.

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

PGL wrote: »
    Guys

I haven't yet had the pleasure of a trip on it yet, but now that the M3 is up and running I am just wondering what is the best route from Lucan to the general Cootehill area in Co. Cavan.
    Previously I have found that the best route from a time savings point of view, is Lucan village, R419 to Clonee, N3 (now the R147) to Navan, R162 Shercock via Kingscourt, and finally the R192 to Cootehill.
    AA Routeplanner would have sent me onto the M50 (€2 toll), then the M1 (€1.90 toll), turning off onto the N33 to Ardee, N2 to Carricmacross, R178 to Shercock and R192 to Cootehill - I am not convinced with AA Routeplanner, and so am not convinved this would have been the most direct route for me (regardless of the combined toll of €3.90 toll - so no need for Cavanman jokes!)
    However now that the M3 is in operation, does anyone know (AA route planner do not yet have the M3 on their system, so thats why I'm asking the question) if I am better off driving the full length of the new motorway, paying a combined toll of €2.60, merging onto the existing N3 from the Cavan / Meath border onwards, turning off the N3 for the R165 through Stradone, and finally the R188 to Cootehill.
    Or alternatively taking the M3 as far as Navan (€1.30 toll), then the R162 to Shercock and R192 to Cootehill?
    Or finally stick to the old N3 (now R147) to Navan? - although I'd imagine the NRA have designed the interchanges to deter people avoiding the tolls...

BTW this trip is only made on a 6 weekly basis on average, so avoiding tolls is not an issue for me, as opposed to people making a daily return trip commute.

This is a pretty long winded question, which really only applies to fellow Cavan people, but I am interested to know if anyone else makes a similar trip who has learned by trial and error which route is best.

cheers!

I'd say head on the M 3 to Navan and Kingscourt via the R 162 and R 192 as it's straight as the bird flies even if it may be on a lesser quality road surface at places; it's years since I've been that way but it's county Cavan so expect winding roads and hills. Certainly the R 162 to Kingscourt is grand and it's about 15 miles from Navan so it won't take you too long. The road across from Ardee (R 165) is nothing short of a disgrace and to be avoided unless you like fixing ball joints and wishbones on your car.

Advertisement