Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding an IT Job in Austrialia.

Options
  • 09-06-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi

I have a degree in computer science and managed to gain a short internship job at home in Dublin. Although it gains experience and makes it easier to seek employment after the term has finished, I worry that I might still end up out of work as the European economy is slower recovering and the unemployment rates in Ireland are still quite high.

Austrialia is less effected and unemployment rate is about 5%. As such I was considering applying to live and work in Austrialia as a back up plan.

This might sound like a silly question, but what would be the procedure for gaining a visa and what type should I apply for?

Also should I gain the visa first and then move and then look for a job when I arrive or should I try to apply for an Austrialian job while I'm in Ireland?

I have about two years experience working as a QA Tester, do you think this is suitable enough experience to gain a similiar job?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So are you just graduated or you have been working for the last 2 years as a tester?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭FeckArseInc

jank wrote: »
    So are you just graduated or you have been working for the last 2 years as a tester?

I was working for about two years as a tester, was then out of work for almost a year and then managed to gain this new job which is also in testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

you won't get a testing job from ireland, you'll need to come over and get one

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭FeckArseInc

hussey wrote: »
    you won't get a testing job from ireland, you'll need to come over and get one

Okay cool, so it is better that I came over first. Do you think about two years experience is enough to land a QA job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Okay cool, so it is better that I came over first. Do you think about two years experience is enough to land a QA job?
    I reckon it is personally

Have a look on seek.com.au every day and see what jobs are up there, and what experience is required. There's often testing jobs on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

what type of visa are you thinking of applying for , as there can be a long wait for certain types of visa's ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

daftdave wrote: »
    what type of visa are you thinking of applying for , as there can be a long wait for certain types of visa's ,

WHV is prob the only one he has a realistic chance of getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

there are a lot of testing roles in Sydney at the moment, depending on experience, you should be able to land one. if you want to send me on your CV i can pass it to our HR people.

Advertisement