Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantasy Art Dealing in the RHA.

• 09-06-2010 11:41am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's midway through the 180th RHA annual exhibition. Every year a hefty number of artist lug their clobber into the gallery and then the works are whittled down to what will eventually be exhibited. It's a little cruel but always very funny at the "giving back" ceremony. This is where the works that didn't make it into the collection are returned to the artists. It's always light hearted and is my favourite part of the process.
    I didn't enter but I know a few that did. All but one were deemed unworthy.

Anyway it's an interesting browse for a number of reasons: What are other people doing? What's making the judges salivate? And what are people buying?

As far as I know all work is for sale and as the weeks are going by the Red dots are popping up. At the opening I made a rough list of what I thought would sell and what wouldn't. I didn't use a brochure, ignored pricing and names and just judged on the image alone.
    I'm not doing too bad. In the Art dealers fantasy league (there's 6 of us) I'm in the lead.

There's a good smattering of photographs to be viewed and the Curtin O'Donoghue photography prize has already been awarded. So that's interesting too. To see what the Art world cosiders entertaining and prize worthy in the photography discipline is very interesting.

So it's just a heads up for those interested in gathering a bit of data and seeing what a lot of other artists are doing.

On a by the by I was shocked at the price of the winning photograph's price tag...1500 balloons?!! And an extra 750squids for a framed version?!!

Anyway...it's running until the end of July, it's free in (of course) and is just off Stephen's green.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I have to get in. And the DIT thing too.

Oh and (slightly OT) has anyone gone in to the Stephen Shore exhibition in the DHG?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

sineadw wrote: »
    I have to get in. And the DIT thing too.

Oh and (slightly OT) has anyone gone in to the Stephen Shore exhibition in the DHG?

Deffo doing the RHA next year. Working towards it in this year's work. Good to have a goal.

I don't know anything about Stephen Shore (never heard of'm). What's that all about Sinead?

http://www.douglashydegallery.com/exhibition.php?intProjectID=128

It's an odd exhibition, in that it's works from 4 different shows all jumbled together. I'd be interested to hear others' takes on it. I'm gonna head in again on Friday I think.

I'm on a day off on Friday and will drop along too.

Cool :) Sure I'll give you a shout and see if you're about.

• Advertisement

Cool :) Sure I'll give you a shout and see if you're about.

Sound. I might even bring your Lubitel. Your not getting it back yet though as I left all my cameras in Athlone on Monday:pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Stephen Shore thing I enjoyed. Black and White street stuff of his I hadn't seen before. I had a quick look around the RHA at the opening, friend of mine sold one of two paintings he had. Some photo had won some prize, a photo of a builders arse. I didn't get it. I went to the IADT thing recently too and was quite disappointed with the quality.

Effects wrote: »
    Stephen Shore thing I enjoyed. Black and White street stuff of his I hadn't seen before. I had a quick look around the RHA at the opening, friend of mine sold one of two paintings he had. Some photo had won some prize, a photo of a builders arse. I didn't get it. I went to the IADT thing recently too and was quite disappointed with the quality.

That's the pic for 1500blips. And an utterly Mental! Mental! Chicken Oriental!!! price of 750slippers for a poxy frame!!:eek::confused:.

I'm in the wrong business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

http://www.douglashydegallery.com/exhibition.php?intProjectID=128

It's an odd exhibition, in that it's works from 4 different shows all jumbled together. I'd be interested to hear others' takes on it. I'm gonna head in again on Friday I think.

review in the IT today.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2010/0609/1224272115599.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

Spoke with HK earlier about this. I think I'll join ye for the Stephen Shore exhibition!

• Advertisement

Gah! Bugger. Looks like I'm working Friday now. Not sure if it's all day though but it looks like I'll have to catch it another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Am I the only one who still does not know what and where? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

ThOnda wrote: »
    Am I the only one who still does not know what and where? :(
    Stephen Shore? Take the entrance to Trinity that's on Nassau street, at the bottom of Dawson street. It's just in 5 metres to the right. Douglas Hyde gallery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Anna13

Effects wrote: »
    Stephen Shore? Take the entrance to Trinity that's on Nassau street, at the bottom of Dawson street. It's just in 5 metres to the right. Douglas Hyde gallery.
    And I have just known :D

Must try to pay a visit today and check it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

arty farty ****e...
    Lets have some real pix Neil-o ;)

yeah you're right animal, some really nice photos of swans, cropped really smartly will definitely do the trick.:pac:.

Nude swans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

humberklog wrote: »
    yeah you're right animal, some really nice photos of swans, cropped really smartly will definitely do the trick.:pac:.

Nude swans?

Won't somebody think of the cygnets !

This was interesting to say the least! My favourites where the long landscape B&W city life shots, some of the work on display looked fairly pointless TBH!

Swan shots FTW!

humberklog wrote: »

Nude swans?
    ooohhh now you have me salivating!

• Advertisement

Heads the 'Klog wins!
    4D50177A7BB448028A6E9E67238F792C-800.jpg

That's funny eightcell - the b&w shots were the ones I least liked and felt gave the whole thing a bit of a disjointed feel. I loved the American surfaces and Uncommon places ones. I had to work a bit harder with the 80s landscapes. They're the main reason I want to go back in. I'm not generally great with landscapes anyway though.

Aiming for this morning. If I can manage to wake up.

I know what you mean, mixed feelings about whats on show but I am a fan of street photography after all. I'm still a photography beginner so maybe I'm missing something but hey, its only my opinion!

Advertisement