Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military activity over Limerick City?

Options
  • 09-06-2010 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Well lads, im starting to notice a lot of activity over my side of town (northside), most notibly yesterday..this plane

pilatus1.jpg

was doing big circles around the place (irish air corpse), iv noticed it in the past too, why over Limerick? sometimes they are in formation, sometimes they are not, sometimes its only the one plane..whats the reason?

I cant imagine them going out for a training secession flying over a city, so it must be something else??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

dave 27 wrote: »

(irish air corpse)

???

OMG FLYING ZOMBIIIIIIES.

Heh. Sorry.

No I havent seen anything over Castletroy way. Which area of the city are they flying over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Jumpy wrote: »
    ???

OMG FLYING ZOMBIIIIIIES.

Heh. Sorry.

No I havent seen anything over Castletroy way. Which area of the city are they flying over?

it was yesterday..they were flying over the northside area (ennis road, caherdavin, balla, clareview etc), in circular patterns, very low too..quite loud, i actually had to look outside and see what it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Its just training thats all,
    They are two seaters for trainee and instructor, they have no downways visabilty so they are of no use for population center surveylance (only long range visabilty for poss sea level long range spotting)
    Why do you imagine they wouldnt be performing part of the air corps training over a city? Its a dual controll prop plane so its perfectly safe. I would imagine at least part of the training would have to consist of low levels flight over a populated area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

They could be using Shannon as a fuel stop during longer training missions - forming up over the city would allow an easily locatable rendezvous point which doesn't conflict with Shannons air traffic. An alternative is they are using the estuary to practice attack runs. Possibly both, possibly neither.

hmm, interesting. they seem to like the area when it comes to that so! where are they actually located? dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Well lads, im starting to notice a lot of activity over my side of town (northside), most notibly yesterday..this plane

pilatus1.jpg

was doing big circles around the place (irish air corpse), iv noticed it in the past too, why over Limerick? sometimes they are in formation, sometimes they are not, sometimes its only the one plane..whats the reason?

I cant imagine them going out for a training secession flying over a city, so it must be something else??

You must be pretty tall to have taking that pic. :D

Doubt if it was anything more than training though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

hmm, interesting. they seem to like the area when it comes to that so! where are they actually located? dublin?

Well if they are refulling or temp stopping over in Coonagh or Shannon then the north side makes sense to fly over, if you've to do training over a population center and are coming from the north anyway why fly all the way over the city to the south side? Its just more flight time for the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

Are they taking part in the opening of the Special Olympics?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe they are preparing the "dyer consequences" that Biffo promised last week against Israel.

Seriously, it might be linked to the Special Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

bazz26 wrote: »
    Maybe they are preparing the "dyer consequences" that Biffo promised last week against Israel.
    :D I'm all for it as long as Biffo and the rest of FF and the Glasrai lead PDFORA into battle. Biffo and Mary Coughlan tearing across the desert straddling the barrels of tanks... how's that for Shock and Awe, going forward...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Your Worship Kevin Kiely is arming us in preparation for extending the city boundary into Clare, whether they like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Maybe they were WWII recreationists.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Kess73 wrote: »
    You must be pretty tall to have taking that pic. :D

I was wondering how the fcuk too :eek:

- We all need to fear and respect dave 27 and his obvious aerial supremacy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

if i was to guess id say they are practising for the opening ceremony at the special olympics

also dave how the hell did you get that pic???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

News just in.............

kid-stuck-outside-airplane-window-blooper.jpg

the 27 in the name refers to the number in thousands of feet I take pics of stuff from the air in remote control planes..be wide ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

4 planes in formation flying around the place at the minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Flypast for special olympics ceremonies in Thomond park.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms.Cosmo

May well have been for the flypast..... But really disappointing....
    I was in the stadium for the ceremony (East Stand) and couldn't see any of it!!!
    Where abouts did they fly over??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

ma9xxz.jpg

Come on lads, it's clearly a shop :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Gryzor wrote: »

Was driving towards the city on the M20 and four planes in tight formation and pretty low flew over around 8.35 pm. Looked cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Ms.Cosmo wrote: »
    May well have been for the flypast..... But really disappointing....
    I was in the stadium for the ceremony (East Stand) and couldn't see any of it!!!
    Where abouts did they fly over??

Flew over Annacotty 3 times. They were pretty low too.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

I was also in the East Stand, terrace so I close enough to pitchside and did see them but the music was so loud the first time they flew over didnt hear it & I dont think half the crowd knew about it
    The 2nd time they missed the centre of the pitch by about a mile, but heard them! It sounded cool!
    Otherwise a fantastic opening ceremony:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms.Cosmo

I agree with Swim2... the ceremony was fantastic otherwise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Banter Joe wrote: »
    Come on lads, it's clearly a shop :rolleyes:.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Gryzor wrote: »

Yup - they went right over my house about 4 times.......pretty low and VERY loud!!!!

Looked cool, especially in formation and so low, but I managed to mis-hit the video record button on my phone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭luosymnisiAZIBI

looked so amazing, my sister got a vid, sooo class!:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

they flew over the stand as opposed to through the gap so we on the east stand saw the outline through the roof covering on the stand but didnt get a good view of them...

i also missed them first time round as the music was so loud we couldnt hear them !!

good night though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

The Pilatus are based up by the Curragh. but are often down by Foynes for training excercises too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

More specifically, Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel, Co. Dublin. Only a few mins flight from the Curragh.

Advertisement