Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you usually pay for a babysitter?

Options
  • 09-06-2010 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I am thinking about offering to babysit, do light housework and maybe learn kids with science and maths homework. But I haven't charged for that sort of thing in years. Does anyone know what much babysitters usually charge nowadays?
    I don't have any childcare qualifications but I do have years of experience and am a college student, so I know science pretty well =)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I believe 12e is the higher rate in some areas per hour, some people do it for 10e an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm 16, 3 years experience and I charge €6 before midnight and €10 after. You probably won't get much for 10 an hour, thats really expensive for parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm 16, 3 years experience and I charge €6 before midnight and €10 after. You probably won't get much for 10 an hour, thats really expensive for parents.

From speaking with plenty of parents you'd be very lucky to get €10 per hour in my city, those that do would be the exception. I'm qualified in childcare with years of experience working with children as well as being a mum, have occupational first-aid and my own car and if I were babysitting I wouldn't charge more than €7 - €8 per hour before midnight and maybe €10 after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You might considering tutoring science for the Leaving Cert, you can generally get better money for that, though of course it is less hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

I'm 26, have a diploma in childcare, work in a creche & I charge 10euro per hour for babysitting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

LCFin.yay wrote: »
    and maybe learn kids with science and maths homework.
    I firmly believe that people advertising their services for teaching should at least use the correct grammar! It is like saying you are crap on your C.V.
    You may be able to understand science but can you pass this knowledge on to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Sparki

12 seems extremely expensive to me. However, it also depends on the number of children. i normally charge 8euro an hour, but one family I babysit for has 5 children- so with more responsibility I charge 10. I am 20 with 5 years experience, but no childcare qualifications so that also has to be taken into account i guess

Advertisement