Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA Thesis away from college

Options
  • 09-06-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hopefully starting a taught masters in either UCD or NUIG in september, however the way finances and lack of jobs are going I may not be able to afford it!

Is it possible to complete your thesis away from the college? If I had to move back to cork at the end of term and commute a few times to college for books and whatnot. Its an Arts dept based MA so no labs or anything like that..

Anyone done it before?

On another note, anyone know how difficult part-time work is to come by these days for students? Have a ton of work experience in everything but still worried I'll have to turn right around and hit the dole if I cant find anything!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

Not sure what you mean... as in your finances for living in Galway? Well, yes you could definitely move home to Cork after finishing up your exams. Also, if you get an Alcid/ Scanlon card you could use UCC's library and borrow books from there. For your thesis you will just need to have meetings with your supervisor every few weeks or whatever you both have decided upon. He/she might also be happy to do some work over the internet!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I wrote my thesis in India, can definitely be done.

I took photos of all the books I needed before I left (horrible thing to have to do), and then relied on online journals. As theredletter said you can use Cork's library.

As for part time jobs, they're very hard to get. Can you give grinds at all? Try and get qualified in something, like as a lifeguard or something, makes it easier. I taught Irish at night during my MA, depends what you're able to do really. Any leaving Cert subject you're good at that you could give grinds in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

It most definately can be done. I wrote my thesis in Cork but I did my masters at Cardiff University. NUIG or UCD will give you a Sconul card and you will be able to use the UCC library free of charge. You just have to show the sconul card to the people behind the check out desk in the Boole Library and they will give you a card so you can borrow books, enter the library etc...You can also access journals from anywhere as long as you have an internet connection. I hardly ever went out to UCC because I found journal articles to be more useful. I kept in touch with my supervisor via email and skype. All in all it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fox McCloud

Thanks for the info everyone, getting to use UCC library would be seriously handy.
    I dont think I could give grinds, my undergrad was english lit and politics so technically I could give english grinds but I dont think many people need them to be honest..

Accepted the offer from UCD yesterday, cant wait for september!

Advertisement