Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2010 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

3DS, expect more shortages than the Wii ever had. That thing looks unreal. I will not make the same mistake I made with the Wii, gonna get my preorder in as fast as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Ok so yeah, methinks Nintendo just annihilated E3. new Zelda, more Metroid, new Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus plus the prospect of 3D Resident Evil and MGS on 3DS.

I need to go lie down.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

New Zelda.... Bit Cel Shaded!!! Ye cause that went down well before........

But it did. Wind Waker was the best Zelda ever!

The possibility of 3D movies on a handheld is just mind blowing. And the ability to take 3D photos, how cool is that.

Professor Layton on the 3DS will be unreal aswell. The puzzles will melt brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

jaykhunter wrote: »
    For the guys that were here/on the net back in 2006, what was the reaction to the Wii's motion controls? Was everyone interested? Or was it the same downbeat PoV that we're seeing for Kinect?

It wasn't anything like the reception Kinect is (rightfully, in my opinion) receiving. People were curious, maybe even a little nervous, but Nintendo were building their whole machine around this and that meant killer titles like mainstream Mario and Zelda games would be using it. The Wiimote wasn't an optional add-on like Kinect, and that's what's going to kill it, in my opinion. No-one's going to put a blockbuster budget into a game that's only going to reach a fraction of the installed userbase - and of those, only the ones who are interested.

I really like Kinect, it think looks great, but that MS are handling it all wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Screw all this, give me some Last guardian

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If the Sony one is anything like the Nintendo one, should be a hell of a year for gaming.

If the Sony one is anything like the Microsoft one, boo-urns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I was thinking all the way through the Nintendo one "come back Microsoft all is forgiven give me some motion control that works !!" That Zelda was embarrassing.

Terrible display of rehashed games followed by a load of marketing for the N3DS.

It may be the greatest thing in gaming in years but after falling for the NDS marketing and the Wii marketing im going to hold off on the N3DS.

Nothing of much note bar Goldeneye about 11 years too late.

Over to Sony now to mop up a pretty poor E3 bar EA last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Oh my, Crysis 2 looks niiiiiice.

Other than that nothing really interests me, I'm hoping on something from Valve and ID Software.

Nintendo, again, set the level for the rest of E3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Jaysus Grumpy u live up to your name! Zelda performance was cringe-worthy but the rest was pretty awesome. 2011 though.....Metroid, DK, Mickey, Kid Icarus (with stock american douchebag voice!) and lots of huge titles for the 3DS; I was really impressed by it!

Kirby's not my thing but i'm sure lots of people like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

Sony Conference is nearly as bad as Microsoft one so far, not quite but getting there. Unless there's some serious reveals after Medal of Honor I'd place them in this order:

1st - Nintendo
    2nd - Sony
    3rd - Microsoft

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Portal 2 and Steam announced for the PS3

MIND. BLOWN.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Sony wins the top spot for this years E3 easily imho. Good showing of games, tech and exclusives. The Move games looked pretty cool and look way more interesting that the boring party crap that Microsoft had and the fact Sony had people onstage who were good public speakers was very refreshing.

Nintendo and Microsoft both get join last spot for cringe worthy offerings. Microsoft's focus on Kinect at the expensive of mainstream offerings was really lame and the various gimps running the demos with the uber fake banter was sickening.

Nintendo's presenter was way to intense/creepy and having nothing but rehashes of old games which are well past there sell date just didn't appeal to me at all. The Zelda game demo with its awful control system was just embarrassing tbh.

Well now the big 3 have done their pressers, who's gonna get your money?

MS are getting some of mine for the new 360.

Ninty for the 3DS.

Sony, well, I'll wait for the reviews on some of the games.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

After the disappointment of Nintendo last year, they've come back nicely. Microsoft were nothing but disappointment, just because the games are rehashes of 4 year old Wii games. Sony had some nice surprises.

1. Nintendo
    2. Sony
    3. Microsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 33,778 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Venom wrote: »
    Microsoft's focus on Kinect at the expensive of mainstream offerings was really lame and the various gimps running the demos with the uber fake banter was sickening.

It really was. The girl demonstrating video chat with her twin sister took the p*ss. Cringeworthy. Although it did raise an interesting point. Kinect can log someone in by facial and voice recognition. What about twins?

1: Nintendo (by miles)

2: Sony
    (followed closely by)
    3: Microsoft

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Portal 2 and Steam announced for the PS3

MIND. BLOWN.

That's it?

Big ****ing deal Valve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

That's it?

Big ****ing deal Valve.

well for PS3 owners its big because Gabe said they wouldn't spend resources on that platform.

Valve cancelled their keynote so i assume their announcements hit a snag and they couldn't show anything.

That's it?

Big ****ing deal Valve.

Yeah it was a suck up apology to Sony for badmouthing them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

what a crap announcement, still waiting on ep3 :/

So what about that Move eh? Showed me nothing new that the Wii motion plus hasn't already done.

did people actually watch the Nintendo conference. they showed nothing. you cant see anything to do with 3ds. Zelda demo barely worked. And they are the two biggest things they had.

Ps3 really can do everything. Its by far the most complete piece of kit but at the end of the day its the games that matters and xbox still has the best selection. Twisted metal and Infamous are hardly big games. GT5 looks amazing though. I was very suprised that the last guardian wasnt shown at all. Thats all I wanted.

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    did people actually watch the Nintendo conference. they showed nothing. you cant see anything to do with 3ds. Zelda demo barely worked. And they are the two biggest things they had.

Ps3 really can do everything. Its by far the most complete piece of kit but at the end of the day its the games that matters and xbox still has the best selection. Twisted metal and Infamous are hardly big games. GT5 looks amazing though. I was very suprised that the last guardian wasnt shown at all. Thats all I wanted.

did you even read some hand on previews with the 3DS? There was 6 playable games and all were very impressive. The lineup of Wii games was strong this year too imo

did people actually watch the Nintendo conference. they showed nothing. you cant see anything to do with 3ds. Zelda demo barely worked. And they are the two biggest things they had..

And Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Kirby, Dragon Quest 9, MGS 3-D (on the 3DS, wasn't shown but was quickly announced after the show)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Part 1 of thae bolded part is extremely debatable.Part 2 is nonsense.

I agree with Nintendo the more I think about it.Goldeneye wont age well I think.Zelda and Donkey Kong made me happy though.3DS ill have to use before passing judgement

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What exactly does Steam on PS3 entail?

means it's starting to evaporate:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

God all 3 conferences were utter crap...

The only interesting bit was the 3DS, which is ugly with its motorway sized bezel :mad: I can't wait to see the specs on its CPU and GPU :o Though, Im not expecting too much after seeing kid icarus

I was waiting for Sony to pull it out of the bag, but they didn't. The biggest announcement was Twisted Metal, I mean come on . . :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Thought Microsoft had the best conference of all three, but that said they were all pretty average conferences this year it must be said. Motion controlling real soured things for me. I'm just not that interested in motion controlled gaming, but Kinect was awesome simply for the technology on show. It's going to change home media, but its "games" are non-games imo. Show us Fabe III with Kinect and I'll be interested in the prospect of Kinect as a gaming device.

MS spent far too much time on Kinect and it's wii-clone games. Sony did the same thing and spent too long on Move, spent far too much time bad mouthing the competition and showing off awful ad campaigns. The lack of actual game-play for GT5 was a major disappointment too, talk about vapourware. Nintendo was pretty good but still not too bothered with the 3DS (3D belongs on big HDTV's tbh) and there was a lack of 3rd party games once again.

Advertisement