Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2010 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Burgo wrote: »
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-portal-2/101563

Finally something worth looking at! This years E3 just reeks of meh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fnz wrote: »
    In a world where the PSP has existed for 5 years at this point, I haven't seen anything, graphically, impressive from the 3DS yet.

It's better than I expected and I'm sure the 3DS will have a battery life that is actually useful for a handheld and a control scheme that you don't have to battle with and makes your fingers go numb. It still looks nice and to be honest I think Kid Icarus blows anything on the PSP out of the water.

Anyway isn't it the games that matter and with 3D that good on the 3DS it's not like the 3DS is going to be limited by it's 3D capabilities. Poor graphical performance never stopped the DS being a far better system than the PSP due to better software.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Did anyone else get Sonic the TV show flashbacks when Kid Icarus started talking in that douchebag american voice? Or do americans think that's normal? :P:pac:

as the promo went on, all I could think of was "This is why Link doesn't speak"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I read your post, and all I saw were sequels.

Some things never change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Fnz wrote: »
    In a world where the PSP has existed for 5 years at this point, I haven't seen anything, graphically, impressive from the 3DS yet.
    Nehaxak wrote: »
    Strangely enough, most gamers would prefer actual gameplay ability and fun over graphical quality, especially when it comes to handhelds. The Psp is an incredibly boring handheld compared to what the DS/DSi and now the 3DS have to offer.

You're both completely missing the point. He was commenting on someone saying the 3DS graphics were impressive.

3DS graphics look relatively very impressive compared to the DS. I love the game but the graphics (like Zelda : Spirit Tracks) are extremely blocky. It might be that i've been playing the 360/PS3 for too long :D Sure even SMG2 annoys me with the jagged edges!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You must be using the awful AV cables because SMG2 looks gorgeous in 480p.

i'm using component cables :(

here's a pic taken with my phone and scaled down to fit the screen.

33ek01f.jpg

Ugh! You could cut yourself on those jags!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bawn

Rage Stuff

Preview (Article - Text)
    http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=19140

Video Interview with Matt Hooper
    http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=19147

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just watching the EA stuff, NBA Jam is coming back :)

From down town !!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Strangely enough, most gamers would prefer actual gameplay ability and fun over graphical quality, especially when it comes to handhelds. The Psp is an incredibly boring handheld compared to what the DS/DSi and now the 3DS have to offer.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's better than I expected and I'm sure the 3DS will have a battery life that is actually useful for a handheld and a control scheme that you don't have to battle with and makes your fingers go numb. It still looks nice and to be honest I think Kid Icarus blows anything on the PSP out of the water.

Anyway isn't it the games that matter and with 3D that good on the 3DS it's not like the 3DS is going to be limited by it's 3D capabilities. Poor graphical performance never stopped the DS being a far better system than the PSP due to better software.
    Ciaran500 wrote: »
    You're both completely missing the point. He was commenting on someone saying the 3DS graphics were impressive.

Sorry for mega-quoting, but thanks, Ciaran, for considering my comment in context - a frustratingly rare thing.

5 years... more time than the period between the launch of the SNES and Playstation.

There's a Shin Megami Tensei game down on the 3DS development list. Colour me interested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You must be using the awful AV cables because SMG2 looks gorgeous in 480p.

It proves that good art design negates any technical limitations. Honestly, I've never not been impressed by the graphics in SMG2, they are stunning, I genuinely don't care about jaggies etc... It just looks imaginative and vibrant, and although it may lack the raw pixels is a better designed game artistically than a hundred grey corridor shooters. If the 3DS manages anything near the standard of MG2, I'll be happy.

Also: there are multiple Shin Megami Tensei games in development for the 3DS, including the Persona remake. It has aged like hell, but still, nice to have!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

looks completely sexual on the Wii/GC emulator on my pc

Sorry to hijack, but I saw this on the net - it's someone running SMG on a Wii emulator called "Dolphin". Watch it in 720p!

Same awesome art design! Significantly less jags! Gimme gimme gimme!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

yep. thats what i'm talking about. i have it upscaled to 1080p on my screen. looks amazing

It looks really glitchy to me... I'm pedantic about my emulation though and will only play on an emulator that's perfect although it looks like Dolphin doesn't have far to go.

It looks really glitchy to me... I'm pedantic about my emulation though and will only play on an emulator that's perfect although it looks like Dolphin doesn't have far to go.

that video is pretty old. Dolphin has been officially released now (the final RC release). Some plugins will be updated now and again, but the core program is done. SMG plays a LOT better than the video shown

that video is pretty old. Dolphin has been officially released now (the final RC release). Some plugins will be updated now and again, but the core program is done. SMG plays a LOT better than the video shown

Can u use your wiimote? How does it attach?

• Advertisement

The wiimotes are bluetooth and with the right drivers I'm pretty sure they can be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Ciaran500 wrote: »

Well unless anyone here is actually at E3 and played on a demo 3DS then I don't think anyone can comment on how it is really. It looks and sounds like it will be great from what i've seen thus far, could well be ground breaking in fact in regards 3D gaming.

I think others are missing the point of the 3DS, it's not that it now has or can have snazzy 3D graphics, it's the fact that it has an actual 3D effect screen, without the need for 3D glasses. It will also play movies in 3D, again without glasses.

Nintendo are on to a real winner here if it actually holds out to be as good as it sounds to be.

Comparing or even mentioning the psp or saying it's had 3D graphics for years is pointless as although yes it's had 3d graphics - it's not had a 3D screen, which the 3DS does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Well unless anyone here is actually at E3 and played on a demo 3DS then I don't think anyone can comment on how it is really. It looks and sounds like it will be great from what i've seen thus far, could well be ground breaking in fact in regards 3D gaming.

I think others are missing the point of the 3DS, it's not that it now has or can have snazzy 3D graphics, it's the fact that it has an actual 3D effect screen, without the need for 3D glasses. It will also play movies in 3D, again without glasses.

Nintendo are on to a real winner here if it actually holds out to be as good as it sounds to be.

Comparing or even mentioning the psp or saying it's had 3D graphics for years is pointless as although yes it's had 3d graphics - it's not had a 3D screen, which the 3DS does.

So, following the thread of your responses (link, link, link, link), it's not fair to comment on graphics - even after somebody mentions that they find them impressive?

I just think it's unfair to suggest the psp has had better graphics for 5 years or whatever when that's not the point - the 3DS has a 3D screen (not just the possibility of 3D graphics in games, an actual 3D screen without the need for glasses) whereas the psp does not and so the 3DS stands alone and nothing can be compared to it other than gameplay between the platforms of previous models, of which clearly Nintendo's handhelds have been miles ahead of the Psp in that regards.

So it's irrelevant that the psp has had 3D graphics in it's games for whatever many years and there was no need to mention it in regards to the new 3DS in the first place as if to suggest "big deal, so what, the psp has been doing it for years" - as it hasn't been doing anything of the kind for years at all.

Now if you are going back on that and were only making the point that the psp has had 3D graphics in its games for years then my reply was relevant in the first place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I just think it's unfair to suggest the psp has had better graphics for 5 years or whatever when that's not the point -

It was the point the OP was making?

noodler wrote: »
    It was the point the OP was making?

...and my reply was equally relevant in that and in short, so what, the psp is a failed handheld compared to Nintendo's offerings as it's lagged so far behind in gameplay as to become irrelevant to gamers, no matter how good it's graphics have been. I'd go as far as to say that now the new 3DS also has a ground breaking 3D screen, it's sealed the fate of the psp as a dead handheld console.

Sony were always going to be chasing Nintendo in the handheld market and being lazy by just relying on the more advanced graphical abilities of the psp over the DS handhelds' more advanced gameplay has failed Sony, and gamers.

If Nintendo bring out a new Wii tomorrow with more advanced graphical abilities and someone mentions it by saying "wow, great graphics" to only be replied too with "lol PS3 has had better for years" is pointless as we all know the PS3 is better graphically but it still doesn't take away from the point that the new Wii has better graphics than the old one - so what's the point at all in mentioning how much better the PS3 graphics are ?

Consoles and especially handhelds should be measured by their gameplay not their graphics and that is why Nintendo will continue in my opinion to be the leader, with everyone else just following and playing catchup rather than stopping for a moment, looking at their business model and actually appeal to gamers from a gameplay perspective rather than always on a graphical front.

None of the consoles out there at all even come close to the graphical abilities of a PC but when it comes down to it and as a gamer if your being honest to yourself, it's gameplay over graphics that win out in the end and like I said, Nintendo are once again leading the way in that regards with releasing a world first in regards a 3D screen for games and movies, without the need for glasses.

In actual fact, if I had the money to burn on a 3D TV screen I'd hold off until the 3DS goes to market and see what comes of it and if what Nintendo do can be copied to larger screens to give us 3DTV capabilities without the need for the stupid glasses.

If both Sony and Microsoft would be leaders in gaming innovation rather than just copying others, it might actually spur on proper leading edge competition and further the gaming industry rather than just leaving it to Nintendo all the time to make the investments in innovation.

I get all that, I am just saying If I make an observation that graphics are better on console X then that is all it is - an opinion.

That opinion won't really change just because we mention the 3d capability.

Opinions are still open to discussion, using the argument that it's some ones opinion shouldn't automatically make it an 'i win' button. Opinions might be always right for the person stating thembut it doesn't mean they can't be stupid. If someone is going to put an opinion up on a 'discussion' forum don't be surprised if it gets discussed.

Opinions are still open to discussion, using the argument that it's some ones opinion shouldn't automatically make it an 'i win' button. Opinions might be always right for the person stating thembut it doesn't mean they can't be stupid. If someone is going to put an opinion up on a 'discussion' forum don't be surprised if it gets discussed.

What?

The graphics are less than impressive compared to the PSP - that is all he said.

Why someon would feel the need to tell him he is missing the point and that the 3D aspect is the important issue.

Next time you say you prefer FF6's characters - I will tell you that FF7 came on 3 CDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

opyq.jpg

Steven Seagal at the Xbox Booth :cool:

Advertisement