Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2010 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

He be gettin faaat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noodler wrote: »
    The graphics are less than impressive compared to the PSP - that is all he said.

Well I disagree, Kid Icarus looks a good bit better than anything I've seen on the PSP even without factoring in the 3D aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I disagree, Kid Icarus looks a good bit better than anything I've seen on the PSP even without factoring in the 3D aspect.

And thats fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I don't own a PSP. Why is it (viewed as) a failure? Narrow audience? Poor controller nubbin? Not enough awesome games?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I don't own a PSP. Why is it (viewed as) a failure? Narrow audience? Poor controller nubbin? Not enough awesome games?

Failure would be a bit much.

I would say it hasn't quite had the software the DS has had, although I think ti is fair to say that this has improved dramatically in the last 12 months or so.

In terms of units sold and the technical specs of the machien I don't think there is a problem.

Piracy is fairly common on both systems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Compared to the DSit seems like a failure but it's sold an massive amount of units and sales in software, it's just that the DS has been a phenomenal success in comparison. However it's a bit of a failure for mein hardware design. I find the controls to be horrendous and awkward. The battery life being so short is also really annoying for me and despite the good titles on the system I find myself playing the DS alot more since it's just more practical to use. I never use any of the PSP's media playing functions either, it's a pain in the ass converting video tothe correct ratio, drag and drop would have been somuch easier than having to wait for the video to encode.

There's some 3DS impressions up on 1up. Seems to be the graphics are much better than the PSP but the 3D effect isn't perfect and only really noticeable when two objects overlap.

Thanks! Had a look; it's sold ~58.5 million units; so it must be making a healthy profit. Just not as much as the (i'm sure, less expensive to make) DS with their 130 million units.

Maybe it was PSP Go sales that were viewed very negatively? Any idea how much that has sold?

Yeah PSP Go seems to be a bit of a disaster and some places are heavily discounted. Some shops wouldn' stock it either since they say it cut into their sales revenue from physical game sales.

Yeah PSP Go seems to be a bit of a disaster and some places are heavily discounted. Some shops wouldn' stock it either since they say it cut into their sales revenue from physical game sales.

I'd love a GO to have as well as my 2000 but its just too much overkill.

For the PSP Go, what are the anti-piracy measures like? (like has it been cracked for illegal games)? Can you play SNES/NES etc games on it? And where would this heavily discounted price be?

• Advertisement

For the PSP Go, what are the anti-piracy measures like? (like has it been cracked for illegal games)? Can you play SNES/NES etc games on it? And where would this heavily discounted price be?

I think it is crack proof atm, as far as I know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Since they announced the 10 free games with the Go I've been tempted to pick one up. I have to keep reminding myself that games are probably cheaper on UMD than on PSN, and that it's over €200 I could put towards a PS3 instead.

I think people are missing the target audiences as well with the DS/PSP, the DS is more successful, but in fairness, like the Wii it's not aimed at hardcore gamers.

I know about four/five people with them.... my mum, my two sisters, my little cousin(female) and maybe my small brother.

The main problem the PSP has had since launch has been addressed....game content.
    There just wasn't anything worth buying one for(bar the GTA episodes), that's changing now with MGS and the other announcements from this years E3.

In my eyes if your serious about gaming, the PSP is the more appealing of the two, maybe some of ye older guys who grew up playing the Nintendo can find enough on the DS to suit ye but for me it's not appealing in the slightest(i'm 23, megadrive was more my first)

There just wasn't anything worth buying one for(bar the GTA episodes), that's changing now with MGS and the other announcements from this years E3.

Ah now that isn't true.

I have the worst PSP collection ever and I can still name 5 games that were absolutely worth it.

Patapon 1/2
    MGS PO
    MGS PW
    Jeanne D'Arc
    Crisis Core (I liked it anyway!)
    FF Tatctics

Can you play SNES/NES etc games on it?

The older PSPs can be hacked to play emulators but trust me it's not worth it. The screen resolution is all wrong for these games but worst of all the controls really don't suit them. I had my PSP hacked for this but ended up never using it since it was just horrible to use.
    I think people are missing the target audiences as well with the DS/PSP, the DS is more successful, but in fairness, like the Wii it's not aimed at hardcore gamers.

In my eyes if your serious about gaming, the PSP is the more appealing of the two, maybe some of ye older guys who grew up playing the Nintendo can find enough on the DS to suit ye but for me it's not appealing in the slightest(i'm 23, megadrive was more my first)

Disagree 100% here. The DS is far more appealing to Hardcore gamers than the PSP. The thing is that it's far more appealing to hardcore and casual markets. The sheer diversity of software on the DS means that there's a tonne of fantastic games on the DS to appeal to everyone. That's the beauty of the DS, it caters for everytype of gamer. Unless of course your idea of a hardcore gamer is one that only plays GTA, CoD and Fifa? Even then there's not much on the PSP really. The usaully console games really don't work that well because of the controls and the real stand out games are the niche hardcore titles.

I think we have a new giant enemy crab:

sdjjia.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

anything on a new killer instinct?

new kid icarus looks class :)

havent really been following e3. i heard that sony and natal just showed different versions of the Wii and a bunch of sequels. anything interesting happen at it this year? (oh and i read that ninty have a bunch of their franchises too but meh tbh. they have being releasing those games every few years since ive been born so excuse me if i dont get that excited anymore :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bawn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ooohhh! yes!!! rage :D

cant wait. looking forward to this more then any other game this year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think we have a new giant enemy crab
    That whole 3DS trailer skit was pure cheesy gold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

You may like the art style but, as indication to the system's graphical prowess, it doesn't shows anything beyond an insignificant jump over PSP titles such as God of War and Metal Gear. In fact, don't developers often choose to use similarly stylized art design in order to perform well on lower-specced systems? Do we even know if that's gameplay footage?

Hopefully nobody feels the need to jump in with the usual, irrelevant, pandering "Graphics aren't important - and should never be discussed" wankery. I'm not attacking the system in general, just wondering if I've missed something noteworthy in the released 3DS footage.

The Kid Icarus was footage is taken from an unplayable demo apparently but running on the hardware and wasn't a video. Sure some art styles are used to cover hardware deficiencies but I still think the 3DS looks more powerful than the PSP. It seems to be pushing more polygons and using higher res textures. For a better comparison checkout the MGS game on 3DS and compare it to Peace Walker, the 3DS game looks way better. Both have the same art style so that can't be a factor. The 3DS report on IGN says that the graphical capabilities are better than the PSP as well in 2D mode. I still haven't checked out the digitial foundry article, they might have something more. I'm surprised that Sony didn't announce a counter handheld system at E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Man Rage looks fantastic.

Just read the digital foundry article, they say that the graphical capabilities are much better than the PSP but different from the 1up article they say that the 3D effect is really impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

903426984_Tg2it-L.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Haven't seen anything on Diablo 3 ? Or did Blizzard have their event yet?

Blizzard show their own stuff at Blizzcon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Far as I know (could well be wrong) Blizzard no longer attend E3 due to some spat in the past with a load of other game industry knobs in regards the others complaining about Blizzard cornering the PC game Market with world of warcraft and something or other about the others wanting world of warcraft also removed from charted pc game sales as they couldn't (or were just too lazy!) to compete.

Besides, Blizzard are holding another one of their Blizzcons this year, which will probably pull in more interest than all of E3, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I know about four/five people with them.... my mum, my two sisters, my little cousin(female) and maybe my small brother.

The main problem the PSP has had since launch has been addressed....game content.

I own both a psp and DS and I play DS a lot more than the PSP.If I am playing my DS or psp chances are I am on the go and I don't want a "hardcore" game. Currently I have Zelda and Professor layton with me and as a hardcore gamer, I am liking both of them. PSP is too bulky, takes too long to load, doesnt have the battery life and I dislike the fact that it has not internal memory. I do like the syncing to my PS3, though I rarely use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Has anyone noticed vanquish yet. A shameless derivative of every other third person run and gun. With platinum games and shinji mikami in control, i'm hoping for a top quality, insanely difficult/deep game.
    The demo they have at the show doesn't seem to showcase much, either that or the people playing it aren't much use.
    Due for release october :)

Was also interested in the new castlevania but the running game looks hugely unimpressive, potentially another god of war clone.

Advertisement