Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2010 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Nehaxak wrote:
    Besides, Blizzard are holding another one of their Blizzcons this year, which will probably pull in more interest than all of E3, again.
    Blizzcon: 20'000+ attendees, 1 company, and it's mostly a LAN party ;)
    E3: 41'000+ attendees, all hardware & most software companies, and it's a series of conferences.

I have no idea how you came to your conclusion that Blizzcon is of more interest than E3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

bugs wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed vanquish yet. A shameless derivative of every other third person run and gun. With platinum games and shinji mikami in control, i'm hoping for a top quality, insanely difficult/deep game.
    The demo they have at the show doesn't seem to showcase much, either that or the people playing it aren't much use.
    Due for release october :)

Yeh looks amazing, I was worried when I saw the initial generic screenshots, but every preview and video I've seen suggests Gears of War etc... on some sort of performance enhancing drug. What I expect from Platinum now is taking a genre and upping the insanity, depth and style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

What are people saying is the shock hit of E3?? Usually keep myself up to date with this each year but haven't seen a thing this year.. Bar the Bigguns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

What are people saying is the shock hit of E3?? Usually keep myself up to date with this each year but haven't seen a thing this year.. Bar the Bigguns

Most games that appeared at E3 were announced previously so no great shocks there, but I really enjoyed the Twisted Metal reveal from Sony's press conference. I loved the previous games and the fact that it was a playable demo, rather than just a trailer made it better.

Bar that, the GiantBomb guys were quite impressed with Face Ace for the 3DS, though I haven't seen any footage yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Biggest shock for me was Portal 2 on the PS3, opens up so many doors such as Left for Dead on the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Biggest shock for me was Portal 2 on the PS3, opens up so many doors such as Left for Dead on the PS3.

Why is Portal 2 on PS3 a shock when Portal 1 was on the PS3? :confused:

Portal 1 was ported by EA because Valve couldnt be bothered with the PS3 at that stage. Valve was outspoken against the PS3 since launch. The fact that they are now supporting the PS3 and bringing Steam to the PS3 is a huge step and was a massive surprise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Because Gabe Newell has been going on for ages how the PS3 is the biggest waste of time everand now has changed his tune so it looks like more valve games for the PS3 now.

My biggest surprise was Child of Eden, game of the show for me.

Portal 1 was ported by EA because Valve couldnt be bothered with the PS3 at that stage. Valve was outspoken against the PS3 since launch. The fact that they are now supporting the PS3 and bringing Steam to the PS3 is a huge step and was a massive surprise.

While the former may be true, Newell has not said Valve are doing the Portal 2 port themselves, nor did he say they were bringing Steam to the PS3. What he actually said was it was getting Steam support, which actually translates to Steamworks support i.e. Steam Cloud, auto-updates and downloadable content - all of which PSN would be doing anyway, bar some of the config/save benefits of the cloud.

While I'd love to see Valve support the console properly I do think people are getting slightly carried away with his appearance. At the end of the day Sony splashed out a hell of a lot of money to get him there and probably made some rather large concessions (in their minds anyway) with getting the Steamworks support in. Whether that translates to improved or even increased Source-game based ports remains to be seen unfortuantely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Guys I don't know what you are talking about, Portal 2 was clearly the biggest dualshock of E3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Blizzcon: 20'000+ attendees, 1 company, and it's mostly a LAN party ;)
    E3: 41'000+ attendees, all hardware & most software companies, and it's a series of conferences.

You forgot the Blizzcon cosplay

blizzcon-2008-cosplay-blood-elf-night-babes-3.jpg

blizzcon_2009_cosplay_lr.jpg

blizzstumes11.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

You forgot the Blizzcon cosplay

:pac:

Ah but E3 has booth babes!

gizmo wrote: »
    While the former may be true, Newell has not said Valve are doing the Portal 2 port themselves,

I seriously doubt they would have had Gabe come out and say that the PS3 version of Portal 2 will be the best on consoles, if they weren't making it.
    nor did he say they were bringing Steam to the PS3. What he actually said was it was getting Steam support, which actually translates to Steamworks support i.e. Steam Cloud, auto-updates and downloadable content - all of which PSN would be doing anyway, bar some of the config/save benefits of the cloud.

The Steam support announcement is exciting not because of the features necessarily. They wouldn't be making a version of Steamworks for PS3 for just one game. Undoubtedly, we will see more Valve games on PS3, possibly Team Fortress 3, Counter-Strike 2... maybe even Half-Life 3.
    While I'd love to see Valve support the console properly I do think people are getting slightly carried away with his appearance. At the end of the day Sony splashed out a hell of a lot of money to get him there and probably made some rather large concessions (in their minds anyway) with getting the Steamworks support in. Whether that translates to improved or even increased Source-game based ports remains to be seen unfortunately.

Of course Valve want Steam on consoles, and not just PS3. This is a huge money-maker for them so they are going to ensure its a success.

Otacon wrote: »
    I seriously doubt they would have had Gabe come out and say that the PS3 version of Portal 2 will be the best on consoles, if they weren't making it.
    Ah, but he quantified that statement by saying it would be the best due to Steamworks integration so who knows really. Again, when Valve come out and say "yea, we're making it ourselves" I'll be happy. Call me cynical but with Valve's history with the PS3 I'm still slightly apprehensive.
    The Steam support announcement is exciting not because of the features necessarily. They wouldn't be making a version of Steamworks for PS3 for just one game. Undoubtedly, we will see more Valve games on PS3, possibly Team Fortress 3, Counter-Strike 2... maybe even Half-Life 3.
    Again this relates to my original point, I highly doubt these games wouldn't be making their way to the PS3 anyway. Which just leaves Steamworks and, as I pointed out above, most of the functionality it offers is already offered by PSN.
    Of course Valve want Steam on consoles, and not just PS3. This is a huge money-maker for them so they are going to ensure its a success.
    They may want it but I highly doubt Steam, as a distribution channel, will be available on any of the consoles in it's current form as on the PC. The only way this would be possible would be if the platform holders still got a cut of the sales made via Steam but then what do customers have? A distribution system inside a distribution system? It simply makes no sense. :o

Ah, but he quantified that statement by saying it would be the best due to Steamworks integration so who knows really. Again, when Valve come out and say "yea, we're making it ourselves" I'll be happy. Call me cynical but with Valve's history with the PS3 I'm still slightly apprehensive.

I can't see them getting Gabe Newell announcing Portal 2 if they weren't developing it. Otherwise they would have left the publishers announce it.
    Again this relates to my original point, I highly doubt these games wouldn't be making their way to the PS3 anyway. Which just leaves Steamworks and, as I pointed out above, most of the functionality it offers is already offered by PSN.

Could it not also mean free updates like the Team Fortress 2 updates?
    They may want it but I highly doubt Steam, as a distribution channel, will be available on any of the consoles in it's current form as on the PC. The only way this would be possible would be if the platform holders still got a cut of the sales made via Steam but then what do customers have? A distribution system inside a distribution system? It simply makes no sense. :o

Its another distribution channel within a network. I don't see the issue if Sony [or Microsoft] gets a cut.

I can't see them getting Gabe Newell announcing Portal 2 if they weren't developing it. Otherwise they would have left the publishers announce it.
    Well from Sony's point of view, which do you think would have more impact, getting Newell to announce it or some faceless Producer from EA UK / Bright Light? :)
    Could it not also mean free updates like the Team Fortress 2 updates?
    Well that's one of the nice things about PSN already, it allows for free updates for games outside the regular TU system on Live.
    Its another distribution channel within a network. I don't see the issue if Sony [or Microsoft] gets a cut.
    Ah, well we clearly differ on this issue so. Personally I'd prefer not to see this kind of setup on consoles. It would be much more beneficial to the consumer to see the improvements a Steamworks integration would bring, made to the PSN or XBL service themselves imo.

gizmo are you a conspiracy theorist at heart? :pac:

Hah, not quite. :D

I just found his appearance on stage extremely odd and, rather than taking it as "omgz Steam is coming!11!!!!", I'm instead suggesting people wait to actually here some firm details before jumping to any conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Nuts. I have 2, but I haven't played it yet. A 3 announcement would make me play it though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Nintendo had the best E3 this year. I was amazed at the 3ds even though I knew it was coming and at the amount of new wii games that were shown :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭johanz

This E3 was terrible. Especially from big boys sony and microsoft.
    We DO NOT want to see your casual games. People don't watch E3 to see some people flailing their arms around

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

johanz wrote: »
    This E3 was terrible. Especially from big boys sony and microsoft.
    We DO NOT want to see your casual games. People don't watch E3 to see some people flailing their arms around
    Unless they're booth babes.

humanji wrote: »
    Unless they're booth babes.
    No, E3 is for games, not stupid babes

Fnz wrote: »
    You may like the art style but, as indication to the system's graphical prowess, it doesn't shows anything beyond an insignificant jump over PSP titles such as God of War and Metal Gear. In fact, don't developers often choose to use similarly stylized art design in order to perform well on lower-specced systems? Do we even know if that's gameplay footage?

Going back to this the tech specs for the 3DS and the graphics hardware seems weaker than the PSP, although sony do have a habit of giving theoretical values while nintendo give values from tech tests.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bite you tongue! Bite it!

Kiith wrote: »
    Bite you tongue! Bite it!
    I am not tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

booth hunks then? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Going back to this the tech specs for the 3DS and the graphics hardware seems weaker than the PSP, although sony do have a habit of giving theoretical values while nintendo give values from tech tests.
    Remember the data they gave for the PS2, saying it was MILES better than the DC & Cube? :pac:

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Remember the data they gave for the PS2, saying it was MILES better than the DC & Cube? :pac:

To be honest as Microsoft did the same as well. Sony and MS produced theoretical results while Nintendo showed results fromactual stress tests on hte hardware. Of course the PS2 and Xbox looked like they were literally 20 times more powerful which was bull because the GC was clearly a more powerful machine and the wasn't too far off the xbox but there was still a massive thread on here full of fanboys spouting rubbish. :rolleyes:

Advertisement