Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else have a newborn in a Pavlik harness?

Options
  • 09-06-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

So just back from the hospital after a 'routine' hip scan for our 6-week old. She went in for an ultrasound and came out in a Pavlik harness for a dislocated hip.

So she's in it for 12 weeks, no bathing while she's in it. Has anyone else had any experience with a Pavlik harness at this age? How did it curb development like playing on her tummy etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bambio

hi there, i dont have any personal experience of this but a few mammies i know on rollercoaster had babies in similar situation, maybe you already checked rollercoaster out but pm if you want any more details. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

Hi there
    This modern torture device was fitted on our daughter when she was 6 months old for 12 weeks.
    I very soon came to hate, and I mean HATE the bloody thing.
    We knew from very early on that there was an issue with one of her hips, went to gp, sent for X-ray which was 'ok', went to osteopath a few times, went to PHN and finally back to GP who sent us to osteo clinic again for another X-Ray and low and behold at 6 months there was something wrong!
    I was fit to kill that day - 6 months of being dismissed by all the medical professionals our daughter cam into contact with.
    Anyway, same story as with you - no baths, no taking it off except to loosen the leg straps to massage her little legs once a day.
    To be honest I wish it had gone on at birth or 6 weeks because at 6 months she was starting to roll over and shuffle about and really really felt confined in it. She fought it like hell for three days and was very upset but finally gave up and accepted it. All her 6-9 months clothes went unworn - she wore pyjama bottoms and leggins cause nothing else fit. She even had it on on Christmas day. :(
    Anyway it came off as schedules 12 weeks later and her hips were corrected. Apparently some kids wear them for months and months. However, as bad as it was it was better than the alternative of surgery and full leg cast for weeks.

So the harness is off for 4 months now and she is flying about the place on her hands and knees. All our other 3 kids walked long before their 1st birthdays so it seems that she is very slow but I guess is still at an average stage of development. There is no doubt that it held her back a little but it might not affect your little one as much since she is younger.
    You'll be sick to death of the hospital visits to adjust it - we went once a week - I swear I must own my own parking space in that hospital by now!

She will be forbidden from using walkers, door bouncers or any of those activity centres where she is suspended and using her legs.

Can't offer any direct advice about your question but just to say I sympathise with your little one and hope the 12 weeks pass quickly for her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hi R3nu4l,

I have experience with this but probably not the kind you are looking for! :o
    I was in a harness myself from about 4 weeks when I was a young'un! My parents still go on about it to this day! :p

As far as I know it was easy enough to handle as I was so young other than being awkward to handle with dressing/changing/carrying etc. so hopefully you shouldn't have too much trouble with your little one!

Also my parents vouched on using olive oil to wash me (as they couldn't get the harness wet). Just used olive oil and some cotton wool pads on/around my legs and hips and they got to bathe me once a week when it was being adjusted!

Also double checked there for you and they said there was no problems with me playing on my back or tummy once supervised obviously! Hope that helped a bit!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

My daughter had one fitted 2 weeks ago at six months. She is such a placid little soul and it does not seem to bother her, she is a little difficult to change and wash but far far far worse things can happen, take it from one who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks for the replies all :) Well she's been in it a good few days now and because she's so young, she doesn't seem to notice it.

I guess we were lucky as we had a routine hip scan booked and it was picked up on the ultrasound that day and within minutes the peadiatrician had her strapped up :) So we're scheduled to have it monitored by scanning every two weeks and I'll update on progress over time. I am prepared for it to go on further than the 12 weeks as I know it's a possibility. I'd rather it didn't but well, whatever happens, happens and we'll deal with it as and if it arises. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Best of luck with it, it seems a hell of a lot better then the old way which was doulbe or tripple terry cloth nappies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 horselala

My daughter was in one from 10 to 22 weeks, she was allowed out for 1 hour per day so we were lucky in that we could change her vest and wash her once a day. It was harder on us than her to see her in it. She got over it after a day.

My experience was

Keep an eye on creases behind her knees as if she is sweating can get aired so I kept putting on caldesene powder. I had to moisturise around ankles, probably from wearing socks all the time, bought her toddler socks at 10 weeks so they covered most of her legs and protected from straps. May these would have been better http://littleacorns.ie/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=32&products_id=647&osCsid=9ca39467c3b875f11461fc336b630c12.... baby legs for under harness

Best for wearing over harness was Next romper suits http

no restrictions on harness, I abandoned babygros, dresses, etc. I bought them in 9-12 when she should have been wearing 3-6 months.

She did not like tummy time.

After the harness it took about three months for her strength to come back into her legs to stand, rollercoaster has alot of parents with experience of pelvik harness and casts, especially in new parents Q3 2008 if I remember right. My daughter is 15 months cruising and walking holding hand, but not walking on her own ...yet! I know another baby ex pelvik around same time and she's walking since around 13 months old.

I was only told after four weeks to have her lie flat as much as possible and not supported on her back and this is even when it is time for them to start sitting at any incline.

Hope this helps.

Any other questions please ask.

Advertisement