Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kingsley Hotel

Options
  • 09-06-2010 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

I heard that The Kingsley Hotel is still not open since the flooding in November! I used to enjoy sitting in the lounge looking at the Lee and St. Kevins!! :D Maybe the flooding was a blessing. Maybe they were in some financial trouble. I was talking to one of the former staff there and she told me that there was no work done there just clearing out. They say thier waiting to hear something from the insurance company put maybe they aren't gonna open again.....

Comments

Doubt it was a blessing to be honest, especially to the employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

Oh I know that. The girl I was talking to said that some of the foreign employees have gone back home to try to find work. What I meant by it being a blessing was that maybe they were in some financial trouble but maybe I didnt think it through. Sure it would be even worse because they would still have to pay for the repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's apparently being put into NAMA. I've a friend who was working there and she was told to go get another job pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Was told that insurance company will only pay a third of the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

The area where is built has been flooding for years, all the lee fields flood. I know nobody was prepared for the extent of damage caused by those floods, but why build in a marsh area in the first place?
    Its awful on the employees, and Id say a lot of money has gone down the drain, but if they stopped and looked at areas before they handed out planning permission the city would be a lot better for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Cadyboo wrote: »
    The area where is built has been flooding for years, all the lee fields flood. I know nobody was prepared for the extent of damage caused by those floods, but why build in a marsh area in the first place?
    Its awful on the employees, and Id say a lot of money has gone down the drain, but if they stopped and looked at areas before they handed out planning permission the city would be a lot better for it.

well the hotel did provide a lot of revenue to local economy when it was open but big +1 to above.. the place has been flooding for years and apparently it was even worse before the dam was built! Even if they did re-open no insurance co would touch the place now.. one strange thing though, anything from the ground floor up should still be fine?

corkcomp wrote: »
    well the hotel did provide a lot of revenue to local economy when it was open but big +1 to above.. the place has been flooding for years and apparently it was even worse before the dam was built! Even if they did re-open no insurance co would touch the place now.. one strange thing though, anything from the ground floor up should still be fine?

It makes sense that the flooding was worse in the pre dam days ;)

I believe that the planning permission was initially rejected but it was then approved (politicians eh, who'd have 'em). Whatever about the actual hotel, having an underground car park on a flood plain was grade A f**ktardness.

I was in there once or twice for yum yums, I remember I thought the place a tad Titanicish (from films and whatnot).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭contenttypes

Cant be bothered to multi-quote..... Sorry guys...

NAMA are not taking it.

Was there 12 years with no flood & probably would never have happened if there hadn't been issues with various things on that night...same applies to the rest of the city that got hit.

Their insurers have gone into administration.

Underground car park flooded in the rain! Let alone from the river!

Ground floor up is perfect....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

RoverJames wrote: »
    Whatever about the actual hotel, having an underground car park on a flood plain was grade A f**ktardness.

See also UCC's Planning Department - ended up under 5 feet of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

evilivor wrote: »
    See also UCC's Planning Department - ended up under 5 feet of water.

F'ing priceless, tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Good planning that....

It would be nice to see it open agan, it wasn't Abadan spot. It was insanity building it in that location, makes you wonder why we have planning authorties in the first place.

From what I understand the politicians (include councillors & city management) made a double fcuk up here. Firstly they sold this land that was not theirs to sell in the first place. I believe it was left to the people of Cork to be used as a civil & public amenity by some philanthropist.
    Secondly they usurped the decision to reject planning. Mind you I think the planners should have gone public at the time to denounce the decision.

From what I understand the politicians (include councillors & city management) made a double fcuk up here. Firstly they sold this land that was not theirs to sell in the first place. I believe it was left to the people of Cork to be used as a civil & public amenity by some philanthropist.
    Secondly they usurped the decision to reject planning.

The Arthur Daly / Dell Boy part of me says fair play to them on the firstly part as selling something that isn't yours in the first place is fairly cool if you can get away with it :)

Secondly, the fcuk up is surely on the part of the backers / financiers / brains of the hotel project as City Management probably aren't too bothered the hotel is closed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

IT WAS SUCH A LOVELY HOTEL TO VISIT AND THE RIVER WAS REALLY A GREAT FEATURE. A REAL LOSS TO THE WESTERN SUBURBS AND BEYOND.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

RoverJames wrote: »
    I remember I thought the place a tad Titanicish (from films and whatnot).

How true that turned out to be ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I don't think the UCC buildings in particular were in areas that were normally prone to flooding. The situation was pretty weird i.e. basically a massive slosh of water coming in because of the release of a dam.

Tidal / regular flooding is an entirely different issue.

Storing artworks in the basement of a building next to a river, I think that qualifies them as fu€ktards.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Storing artworks in the basement of a building next to a river, I think that qualifies them as fu€ktards.

MC

The basement is actually *below* river level!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Solair wrote: »
    I don't think the UCC buildings in particular were in areas that were normally prone to flooding. The situation was pretty weird i.e. basically a massive slosh of water coming in because of the release of a dam.

Tidal / regular flooding is an entirely different issue.

The UCC building worst affected are on the site of the old greyhound track which was very much prone to flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭opus

evilivor wrote: »
    The UCC building worst affected are on the site of the old greyhound track which was very much prone to flooding.

For sure, that place used to turn into a lake most years during the Winter so you'd have though they would have planned for flooding. Someone was telling me that the the tennis courts that used to be where the Glucksman is built used to occasionally be submerged as well.

Personally think the original Kingsley hotel building wasn't too bad but the huge extensions they built on are horrible looking things straight from soviet style eastern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I remember those tennis courts being flooded in the early nineties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

MC
    I fairness i think the planning dept at the city council has a hell of a lot to answer for they are supposed to shoot this stuff down first day, instead they built their own basement in their extension of the county hall and stored a lot of stuff down there

I fairness i think the planning dept at the city council has a hell of a lot to answer for they are supposed to shoot this stuff down first day, instead they built their own basement in their extension of the county hall and stored a lot of stuff down there

That building belongs to the county, not sure if its in the city boundry or if they have an exemption but I agree it was clear that proper planning procedure was not followed in the granting of these developments.

I think that qualifies them as fu€ktards.

I love that word :D

Advertisement