Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Dublin Overrated?

• 09-06-2010 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Overhyped, contain a couple of quality players then a few making up the numbers. I am a Dublin supporter but that team for Sunday are nowhere near all-ireland contenders

Stephen Cluxton (Parnell’s)-solid keeper decent kick out
    Michael Fitzsimons (Cuala)-Very fast zero footballing ability
    Rory O’Carroll (Kilmacud Crokes)Serious prospect
    Philly McMahon (Ballymun Kickhams)-very average footballer
    Denis Bastick (Templeogue Synge St)-mullicker defo not a half back
    Cian O’Sullivan (Kilmacud Crokes)-another prospect more of a wing back i feel
    Barry Cahill (St Brigid’s)-very good player always performs
    Eamon Fennell (O’Toole’s) very slow going to struggle in croker
    Ross McConnell (St Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh) gilroys love child? dont see any positives
    Niall Corkery (Kilmacud Crokes)-would struggle to get a game on a fully available crokes team
    David Henry (Raheny)-class back wont lead the attack
    Paul Flynn (Fingallians)-better midfielder that the two chosen
    Conal Keaney (Ballyboden St Enda’s)-hot and cold
    Bernard Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh)-class
    Kevin McManamon (St Jude’s) -good club footballer, can score goals wont kick more than a couple of points from play.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Aye and last years quarter final was when england got beten 5-1 by the germans:pac:

So many parallels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

Im a meath Fan and I am amazed by the line up, based on form? 5 new comers? some that started the league flying and then flopped?
    I am still undecided as to whether I am being biased as I am from meath, am I clutching at straws in the hope this is a poor team!
    We will not find the answer to this on sunday as wexford are poor (yes they beat Meath)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Im a meath Fan and I am amazed by the line up, based on form? 5 new comers? some that started the league flying and then flopped?
    I am still undecided as to whether I am being biased as I am from meath, am I clutching at straws in the hope this is a poor team!
    We will not find the answer to this on sunday as wexford are poor (yes they beat Meath)

4 changes from the team that beat Tyrone well in the last league game. Cluxton for Savage in goals, was always going to happen.
    Fitzsimons for Conlon: a really tight call
    Cahill for Casey: was always going to happen
    Keany for Hubbard: Hubbard injured.

Alan Brogan on the line. Not sure if he is not fully fit or Gilroy doesn't trust his workrate.

Should beat the yellowbellies by 4-5. Meath will be a real test though, thats if they beat Laois. Really looking forward to Sunday now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

some that started the league flying and then flopped?
    Flopped? I disagree as would many others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Aye and last years quarter final was when england got beten 5-1 by the germans:pac:

So many parallels!

Wasn't it the other way round?

I do see certain parallels between the way Dublin get built up, overhyped and knocked down by the media and the way the English soccer team get treated by the gutterpress however.

But like the English soccer team, its not the Dublin footballers' fault that they get built up too much. I feel sorry for them.

• Advertisement

True, it was, soccer wouldn't be my forté!

And look at me spelling...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

On the England analogy.....I would say no. The notion of England as underperformers is a bit of a myth. They have won one world cup out of about 15 they've been in, and been to a semifinal, which is about right considering their population is smaller than the main competitors such as Italy, France, Germany and a fraction of Brazil's. If you want a true underperformer on the soccer stage, look at Russia, Spain or Nigeria.

As for the Dubs.....well the gaa population is probably bigger than the entire population of some counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I can see the blue tinted mods loving this thread!

I think Dublin were previously and Whelan was the Beckham of the team - the supposed 'captain fantastic' who could murder the lesser teams but was found wanting time and time again against better opposition. This year however I think the media and fans have learned to tone it down a good bit.

I don't know alot about many of this Dublin panel so it'll be interesting to see how they perform. Wexford aren't a great barometer to be honest though.

My one hope is that Gilroy has dropped alot of the dead wood that was hanging around the panel. For example, if a player is in the panel two to three years and hasn't made an impact, then they aren't needed and its time to look elsewhere. Pillar had plenty of lads who were hanging around 4 to 5 years and coming on for five and ten minutes at the end of matches. Why were they there in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The English Rugby team is underrated...so possibly, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Well everyone hates England and the Dubs except themselves so maybe.

• Advertisement

buck65 wrote: »

I didnt want to say that but agreed!
    haha
    Yes, I totally agree with the comment re meath must beat laois before even considering dublin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Bill2673 wrote: »
    As for the Dubs.....well the gaa population is probably bigger than the entire population of some counties.

Well surprisingly Dublin does not have the biggest GAA population in the country, Cork does. But still you are right, the Dublin GAA population would be bigger than the likes of the entire county of Leitrim, Longford and maybe 1 or 2 others.

As for the question are Dublin the England of GAA I'd say yes and no. The English footballers are overhyped underachievers, Dublin could be argued are the same. But with 22 football all Irelands they have won their fair share. It's this simple, Dublin has 1/3 of the population. The GAA and media stoke up the hype in order to sell papers, match tickets, advertising on telly. I've no problem comparing our footballers to the English, as I can see the comparison.

What I would say no to is our hurlers. I notice how this thread is only coming up towards our game with Wexford in football. We have already played Laois in the hurling and no one was saying that the Dublin hurlers are overhyped prima donnas. In fact, the majority of people love Dublin hurling. This is because we were so shockingly bad at it post 1961, although we did make the odd Leinster final sometimes after. Basically, we provide hope to the rest of the country. This is because we are quite good now. We've been building at underage for 15 years and the results are only coming through now. Carlow and Laois are following suit and will be where we are now in about 5 years.

Remember that Dublin GAA is more than football folks. But I would agree our footballers compare to England to a certain degree but reject it out of hand for our hurlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

True Pride, I'm sure there isn't a hurling supporter in the country that wouldn't love to see Dublin do well in hurling.

But with 22 football all Irelands they have won their fair share.

QUOTE]

11 in the past 100 years, 2 in the past 30 years.....not a great showing imho.......(But they won 5 Leinster's in a row, I hear you say).

True Pride, I'm sure there isn't a hurling supporter in the country that wouldn't love to see Dublin do well in hurling.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Bill2673 wrote: »
    On the England analogy.....I would say no. The notion of England as underperformers is a bit of a myth. They have won one world cup out of about 15 they've been in, and been to a semifinal, which is about right considering their population is smaller than the main competitors such as Italy, France, Germany and a fraction of Brazil's. If you want a true underperformer on the soccer stage, look at Russia, Spain or Nigeria.

They have a fraction less than the Italians yet the Italians have 4 WC's.

Linking population size strictly to success is a bit silly anyway. Just look at the Dutch. They've been to more finals than the English yet there's only 15 million of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

I've been saying that about Dublin for ages now.

I do like their hurling team though.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

A lot of Dubs wish they were English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

A lot of country folk wish they were Dubs.

Carlos_Ray wrote: »

No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

No thanks.

I wasn't offering you anything.

Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I've no problem with this thread and the vast majority of posts in it. I don't want anymore of the above though, as we all know exactly what it leads to and I don't want to have to lock the thread and hand out infractions/bans. Consider this a warning.

Have a nice day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

No thanks.
    I wasn't offering you anything.
    Brilliant!

Enough!

Either go back on-topic or don't bother posting at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

It always amazes me how some people compare a county from Ireland playing gaelic football to a country playing soccer.:confused:

Just want to point out the irony that these are the same people who probably support a premier league team yet froth at the mouth at the prospect and eventuality of England being knocked out of any major international competition.It is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The hype they get in the media they prob are a little alright. But in fairness the true Dublin supporters know they have long way to go before they win AI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I've a big double on England for the WC and Dublin for Sam, was going to throw in Dublin for the Liam McCarthy and make it a treble but am not that foolish.

89/1 the money is in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 thehill

This thread should have being locked straight away no Dub would put up that rubbish:mad:just Draws WUM

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 235 ✭✭Mullet

This thread should be locked. I use to post a fair bit on this forum but with tacky threads like this you can understand why alot of people who use to post here don't bother anymore.

Have a good summer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

infamous wrote: »
    Are Dublin the England of GAA?

This is just an old, tired, boring argument that's been done to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Well surprisingly Dublin does not have the biggest GAA population in the country, Cork does. But still you are right, the Dublin GAA population would be bigger than the likes of the entire county of Leitrim, Longford and maybe 1 or 2 others.

As for the question are Dublin the England of GAA I'd say yes and no. The English footballers are overhyped underachievers, Dublin could be argued are the same. But with 22 football all Irelands they have won their fair share. It's this simple, Dublin has 1/3 of the population. The GAA and media stoke up the hype in order to sell papers, match tickets, advertising on telly. I've no problem comparing our footballers to the English, as I can see the comparison.

What I would say no to is our hurlers. I notice how this thread is only coming up towards our game with Wexford in football. We have already played Laois in the hurling and no one was saying that the Dublin hurlers are overhyped prima donnas. In fact, the majority of people love Dublin hurling. This is because we were so shockingly bad at it post 1961, although we did make the odd Leinster final sometimes after. Basically, we provide hope to the rest of the country. This is because we are quite good now. We've been building at underage for 15 years and the results are only coming through now. Carlow and Laois are following suit and will be where we are now in about 5 years.

Remember that Dublin GAA is more than football folks. But I would agree our footballers compare to England to a certain degree but reject it out of hand for our hurlers.

I think you will find 1/3of the population live in Dublin, but a lot will go home for the weekend and play for their local club.

Dublin football is hyped by the press looking to sell papers, not the Dublin football public. It is also so funny to see the posters on here who just love a threadlike this to have a pop at Dublin, while most of their Counties between them have not got a team to contest their provincial title.

I shall depart before I say anymore.

To make another English analogy the ABD's should enjoy the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

please lock.lets keep the gaa forum to proper gaa disbussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I have no problem with posters discussing the true ability of the Dublin football team, but what I do have a problem with are trolls and people with no aim other than to wind up Dublin footballers and their supporters.

With that in mind, me and the other mods will be keeping a good eye on this thread in the next day or two. If you want to have a proper discussion on the team then we'll be delighted to read it, just remember if you have a problem with a post use the report.gif button and we'll take it from there.

Thanks.

Folks this is becoming ridiculous, everyone should calm.
    Its a discussion about the starting 15 on the Dublin football team, and their similarity to the England team.
    I think anybody that cannot accept constructive criticism of their beloved team shouldn't talk about them. I am from Meath, schooled and colleged in Dublin and Ive gotten plenty of friendly advice from Dubs regarding the state of Meath football.
    If people choose to entice others well then let the mods do their jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

1.There is NO similarity between Dublin GAA and the English Association Football team. England dont succeed on the International Stage, and often fall over the line in terms of qualification.

2.It would be far more appropriate to equate Dublin GAA to Liverpool Football Club. They have not been devoid of success over the past ten years, but the top prize has eluded them, and as such find it difficult to find themselves as classed amongst the elite.

3.Dublin are a big team with a big history.This is epitomised by the fact that the Dublin GAA team dominated Leinster in the first half of the 1990s when Leinister was at least the second strongest province, and was unlucky not to garner more All Irelands. Equally, in the 1970s it was valid to consider Dublin v Kerry a massive match-up. Dublin have a major history and a pedigree. England have one solitary World Cup to their name, and have no European Cups. In fact they didnt even qualify for the last European Chamiponship.

4.Dublin have had a barren spell in terms of All Irelands since 1995, however, they have picked up a few Leinister Championships, much like Liverpool have collected a UEFA Cup, Charity Shield, FA Cup, League Cup. While Liverpoll also have a Champions League to their name, the fans WANT the League title again. The same applies to any Dublin fan, who would give their eye-tooth for Sam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Right, I've changed the thread title because it's just going to lead to petty bickering and nonsensical posts. I've no problem with what's been posted in this thread though, apart from the posts that we've already pulled up.

Keep it constructive and we wont have to lock the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Ok then, are Dublin overrated?

Right now the answer is no. There's been no hype this year, not yet anyway, and a sense of hopeful realism seems to have set in among the Dublin supporters. That can only be a good thing for this Dublin team as it takes the pressure off a little bit. It was all gone crazy for a couple of years under Caffrey, with the mad hype, every game sold out, the stupid shenanigans of some of the players and all of that. I think some of those Dublin players let it all go to their head and thought they were better than they really were.

They'll beat Wexford anyway, and after that who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

aidan24326 wrote: »
    This is just an old, tired, boring argument that's been done to death.

Indeed, and the answer is no. England, on paper are one of the best teams in the world and should have added to their World Cup tally, Dublin arent close to the best team on paper in the country. This myth that Dublin fans always think theyre gonna win the AI comes up every single year. I dont think any Dublin fan with any clue is expecting to come even close this year. Another Leinster and hopefully a good show against one of the strong teams would be considered a good year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Ok then, are Dublin overrated?

Right now the answer is no. There's been no hype this year, not yet anyway, and a sense of hopeful realism seems to have set in among the Dublin supporters.

Id say thats because of last year. If we beat Wexford (touch wood!) then the tabloids will probably start again. Unfortunately many havent realised yet that they dont speak for the majority of fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mini Driver

are Dublin Over-rated?

Yes ...nuff said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

i work with plenty of dubs and theres two types the first is a true football fan that will have no problem sitting discussing football with ya and accepts any vaild point ya make about the dubs good or bad.the second is the one that gets in my ear every april/may/june/july about how sams coming home and thered be no gaa only for the dubs blah blah blah yet come the start of august the dublin jersey and hat goes missing and they go very quiet.

its these second type that overhype the dubs.i accept there are decent dubs fans out there but they are drowned out by a vocal minority and thats why us "culchies" love to see them bet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Dublin are overrated mostly due to the mass over-coverage the team receive when the championship is in full flight.The GAA season for any real Dublin fan is the same,some solid league performances coupled with some terrible displays leaving us mid-lower of Division 1.Then Leinster rolls around and Dublin look like a team well capable of beating any team in the country especially on Leinster Final day.

The meeja and the papers/tabloids then have a 7 page pullout with pictures of blue army hyping up a possible All Ireland Title.This is when the bandwagon really gets going.Then surprisingly,the weaknesses and limitations of the team are shown up by a top team battle hardened most likely from the qualifiers.

The only change this year though is that Dublin have a new look to the team and have actually taken the league seriously beating all the top teams bar Cork.However,the hype is much lower than it has been in other years.Gilroy must be having the players give everything in training sessions and concentrating on players just getting that match fitness in challenge games.The hype is toned down.

However,I do wait for a Leinster Final appearance for all this to start again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Are Dublin overrated? yes full stop. This was the team that was meant to win the All Ireland the last few years and were beaten well. They absoultely bottled the quarter final last year against Kerry. They surely werent as bad as that and Kerry were surely not that much better than them from what the scoreline suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I think most realistic and informed observers of the game over the last few years would tell you that the Dubs are a decent team, top 8 in the country certainly, but seem to be a good bit short of the level that Cork, Kerry and Tryone have hit in recent years.

So this "Dubs being overrated" thing might be a bit of a myth tbh, propogated by people who are only looking for an excuse to have a pop at them and perpetuatd by some of their more blinkerd fans who insists upon over hyping them to an unreasonable degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

flahavaj wrote: »
    So this "Dubs being overrated" thing might be a bit of a myth tbh, propogated by people who are only looking for an excuse to have a pop at them and perpetuatd by some of their more blinkerd fans who insists upon over hyping them to an unreasonable degree.

Nail on head, I'm realistic enough to know that we're far from the finished article and I have my doubts about this summer too but that won't stop me going to Croker (and who knows perhaps beyond) to support the Boys in Blue for the next few months (maybe even as far as September???? *wakes up from the same dream that I've been having since 1995* :rolleyes::p ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

The media (many of whom are born outside the county) constantly hype Dublin for the one reason, to sell newspapers. I suppose this hype is partly responsible for the huge crowds the Dubs get for Championship games in Croker.

As regards their chances, most Dublin fans realise that the Dubs are in the second tier of GAA counties. Kerry, Cork and Tyrone are yards aheads. But that doesn't stop Dublin fans living in hope, that this could be their year. This happens in every county in the country, well most anyway.

I'm old enough to remember Dublin coming from nowhere to win an All-ireland in the early seventies. And for that reason I will continue to turn up and cheer them on.

As regards the team i think it is refreshing. We have just won an u21 title, and O’Carroll looks good. I have seen McMahon playing for his club and he is a really tough defender with footballing ability. i haven seen much of Corkery or Fitzsimons but Sunday should tell a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

No doubt about it. An average team with average players.

Put them in Ulster and witness them crash and burn!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

I wouldn't fear any team from Ulster as a Dub any more outside of Tyrone. Monaghan's acid test will be the rest of the summer as this could be Banty's last chance for him to do anything with the current crop of players but if we were to meet in the championship this summer, I wouldn't fear playing them.

In fact, I'd love it if we put a few Ulster teams out of the championship this summer as we need to start beating teams outside of our comfort zone (Leinster) to start getting some respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

No doubt about it. An average team with average players.

Tyrone would hammer us. No doubt about it. Dublin also have a terrifying mental block about Armagh. Derry, Down, Monaghan, and Donegal are beatable, while Dublin would school Fermanagh, Cavan and Antrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Dublin may have a big GAA population compared to other parts of the country but how much of that GAA population play for different counties? This is the problem, a lot of counties have a smaller population but can be sure that about 90% of that population would declare for that county, where as in Dublin that is not so, you just have to look at some of the big club teams in Dublin to see that.

As for Dublin this year, I think it will be another quarter final place. Cant see us getting any further than that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement