Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Dublin Overrated?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭infamous

Overhyped, contain a couple of quality players then a few making up the numbers. I am a Dublin supporter but that team for Sunday are nowhere near all-ireland contenders

Stephen Cluxton (Parnell’s)-solid keeper decent kick out
    Michael Fitzsimons (Cuala)-Very fast zero footballing ability
    Rory O’Carroll (Kilmacud Crokes)Serious prospect
    Philly McMahon (Ballymun Kickhams)-very average footballer
    Denis Bastick (Templeogue Synge St)-mullicker defo not a half back
    Cian O’Sullivan (Kilmacud Crokes)-another prospect more of a wing back i feel
    Barry Cahill (St Brigid’s)-very good player always performs
    Eamon Fennell (O’Toole’s) very slow going to struggle in croker
    Ross McConnell (St Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh) gilroys love child? dont see any positives
    Niall Corkery (Kilmacud Crokes)-would struggle to get a game on a fully available crokes team
    David Henry (Raheny)-class back wont lead the attack
    Paul Flynn (Fingallians)-better midfielder that the two chosen
    Conal Keaney (Ballyboden St Enda’s)-hot and cold
    Bernard Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh)-class
    Kevin McManamon (St Jude’s) -good club footballer, can score goals wont kick more than a couple of points from play.

Could nearly slot me pre-match analysis of the team into the match report, where gilroy was going was obvious to most supporters so why cant he see where he is at. The only evaluation I got wrong was catser saying he always performs wasnt the case yesterday, and in keaneys case he happen to have one of his good games this week, over reliant on bernard brogan and the day someone does a marking job on him like tom sullivan dubs are gone,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fair comments. Totally over reliant on one player - always a bad thing. If he gets injured, has a bad game, is sent off, or simply marked well, Dublin will struggle to beat anybody, let alone a good team. I think even the Dubs are realising how limited their team are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Were they ever around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Not sure who is overrating Dublin. Most Dublin supporters know it is a limited side with no real strength in depth, so it must be supporters of other counties and the press who rate this side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

at 10-3 if wexford could have tagged on 1 or 2 more points then they would have seen off dublin im sure of it. once dublin got a bit of momentum there was only going to be 1 outcome. bernard brogan is class but dublin are a poor side at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mini Driver

well on the basis of the first half performance on Sunday I think this question has been well and truely answered!! If Wexford were fitter I don't think Dubs would have survived

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

thegen wrote: »
    Not sure who is overrating Dublin. Most Dublin supporters know it is a limited side with no real strength in depth, so it must be supporters of other counties and the press who rate this side.

Most Dublin football fans do not over-rate the team and recognise it's limitations. I think the hype comes from the media and also the fact that Dublin like them or not are the biggest draw in football in spite of the lack of recent success. A couple of wins against average Leinster teams and the hype builds, some of this may be due to the fact that Arnotts want to sell jersies and the evening herald newspapers. Dublin GAA fans know where the team is at and any I know recognise that currently they are not up to much. Similar hype to what is seen prior to the world cup with England. A lot of fair weather fans will buy the jersey and make it down to the match 5 minutes before throw-in, every county has these fans, Dublin by virtue of population has more. Thats a Tipp perspective from someone who had lived in dublin for about ten years, and still optimistically looks forward to a trip back each september (very optimistically). Which probably is an indication that every fan probably over-rates their own team just a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

dirtyden wrote: »
    Most Dublin football fans do not over-rate the team and recognise it's limitations. I think the hype comes from the media and also the fact that Dublin like them or not are the biggest draw in football in spite of the lack of recent success. A couple of wins against average Leinster teams and the hype builds, some of this may be due to the fact that Arnotts want to sell jersies and the evening herald newspapers. Dublin GAA fans know where the team is at and any I know recognise that currently they are not up to much. Similar hype to what is seen prior to the world cup with England. A lot of fair weather fans will buy the jersey and make it down to the match 5 minutes before throw-in, every county has these fans, Dublin by virtue of population has more. Thats a Tipp perspective from someone who had lived in dublin for about ten years, and still optimistically looks forward to a trip back each september (very optimistically). Which probably is an indication that every fan probably over-rates their own team just a little bit.
    People always compare the Dubs to England when it comes to hype but the simple fact is England are alot closer to a world cup win than we are to an All Ireland. Anyone outside of Dublin sees the papers, especially the tabloids and presumes we all have the same expectations they are writing but we dont. TBH, after the game on Sunday, my expectations have never been lower. I dont think ive ever seen a Dublin team play such a bad half of football than the first half on Sunday, and im including the Kerry game last year in that! Were in a reconstruction phase and it doesnt look great for the near future to me but hopefully in a few years we will be back to where we were and surpass it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

infamous wrote: »
    Overhyped, contain a couple of quality players then a few making up the numbers. I am a Dublin supporter but that team for Sunday are nowhere near all-ireland contenders

Stephen Cluxton (Parnell’s)-solid keeper decent kick out
    Michael Fitzsimons (Cuala)-Very fast zero footballing ability
    Rory O’Carroll (Kilmacud Crokes)Serious prospect
    Philly McMahon (Ballymun Kickhams)-very average footballer
    Denis Bastick (Templeogue Synge St)-mullicker defo not a half back
    Cian O’Sullivan (Kilmacud Crokes)-another prospect more of a wing back i feel
    Barry Cahill (St Brigid’s)-very good player always performs
    Eamon Fennell (O’Toole’s) very slow going to struggle in croker
    Ross McConnell (St Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh) gilroys love child? dont see any positives
    Niall Corkery (Kilmacud Crokes)-would struggle to get a game on a fully available crokes team
    David Henry (Raheny)-class back wont lead the attack
    Paul Flynn (Fingallians)-better midfielder that the two chosen
    Conal Keaney (Ballyboden St Enda’s)-hot and cold
    Bernard Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh)-class
    Kevin McManamon (St Jude’s) -good club footballer, can score goals wont kick more than a couple of points from play.

Four years on you have only got two wrong McMahon and Fitzsimons. Fair play!
    Although it could be argued that Bernard Brogans star has waned a bit after his performance in the AI semi 2014.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

OP said that team were nowhere near All-Ireland contenders.

However the guts of that team subsequently won 2 All-Irelands.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I would disagree. he said that team was no where near contenders, and they werent. There was a significant over haul to the team and to the play after that made them contenders.

Of that team in 2010, there was only 8 who then started the final the year after. Thats a fairly significant change to the team to make them contenders. Some of the ones dropped like McManamon made an impact, but I'd have to agree with the general point of the OP.

There was then only 6 of that 2010 team that started in 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Eh? That team was nowhere near the 2011 to present teams. They changed approach, got new blood in and with a bit of luck thrown in, they prospered and grew for that.

2010 was perhaps a watershed year for Dublin you could say, better than 08/09 but still short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Eh? That team was nowhere near the 2011 to present teams. They changed approach, got new blood in and with a bit of luck thrown in, they prospered and grew for that.

t.

about 12 of them played in the 2011 final, all Ireland winners

about 12 of them played in the 2011 final, all Ireland winners

What 12 from the team named played in the final in 2011?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

bruschi wrote: »
    What 12 from the team named played in the final in 2011?

11 of the team played in the 2011 Final - McMahon, Kevin Mc & Fennell coming on as replacements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Certain players came in and made a difference alright (MDM, Brennan, McCarthy) but the big thing for Dublin that year was the change to a defensive set up and the confidence gained from beating Tyrone.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    11 of the team played in the 2011 Final - McMahon, Kevin Mc & Fennell coming on as replacements

Sound, so it wasn't 12 then. And still only 8 started. In any case it's still a fair turnover in 12 months.

Advertisement