Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepared for studying Arts in UCD and TCD?

Options
  • 09-06-2010 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello,

I have recently applied through CAO to study Geography and Politics in TCD and UCD.

I was refused TCD and have received a ‘recommended for offer’ from UCD.

Going through the application process I became aware that while my critical reasoning is very good my written English is a slow and clumsy. For this reason I was not expecting to be offered any places, so set about improving my writing in preparation for re-applying next year. I have secured a place on an Access to University course in the Bray Institute of Further Education while waiting to hear from the Liberties College on their Liberal Arts-Access to University course.

I’d be interested in people opinions or experience of the following:

1) Should I be concerned about failing first year in UCD due to my writing?

2) Would I be better to defer and take one of the access course in order to improve my writing?

3) Would it be fair to say that UCD has better mature student support then TCD?

4) Would it be fair to say that an Arts degree from TCD carries more ‘clout’ then one from UCD?

5) Would there be more hidden costs associated with TCD then UCD?

I mean no disrespect to any of the institutions above. This is a big decision for me, I’ll be past 40 by the time I’m finished, and I need to consider every aspect carefully.

Sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

1) Should I be concerned about failing first year in UCD due to my writing?

I think most mature students have a fear of failing first year. It will have been a while since most have done any type of exam or study. I'm in TCD and they have a lot of essay writing workshops and exam studying technique workshops at the start of the year and coming up to exams. I don't know, but I guess UCD would have something similar.

I was really nervous going back to college. And even throughout 1st year I did feel like "Did I deserve a place here" with all these Leaving Cert students who got 530+ in their leaving cert. It's only now that I've passed my exams I feel like I have earned my right to be there. (It was nothing to do with my class. Just me and my ideas in my head! :) ) You will improve the more you write and study.

2) Would I be better to defer and take one of the access course in order to improve my writing?

It is really up to yourself and if you think you are ready to return to college full time. I did an access course in Science at UCD and it gave me a base level of Science going back to college and also helped with study skills. If you do defer and take a place on an Access programme (UCD also have one for Arts) it may give you the confidence of starting in 1st year, next year.

I would get in contact with the Mature Student Office at UCD and ask what sort of support do they offer for mature students returning to study Arts. Then make up your mind.

I don't think the university would have offered you a place if you had shown lack of ability. Could it be nerves?

3) Would it be fair to say that UCD has better mature student support then TCD?

I couldn't tell you about the mature student support in UCD. The support from the office at the Access programme was great. I did find the department of the course I applied to not very helpful at all. But I would assume not every course department is the same.

At TCD, they ran a mature student week the week before Fresher's week. That helped me a lot. Just even to get a feel for the campus was great.

I did get quite a few emails from the Mature Student Officer regarding mature student events and also, she set aside a time if people wanted to meet with her etc. I never used any of it but the mature student officer was good at letting people know she was available.

4) Would it be fair to say that an Arts degree from TCD carries more ‘clout’ then one from UCD?

Again I wouldn't have a clue about that.

5) Would there be more hidden costs associated with TCD then UCD?

I think registration is about the same for both. If you are paying fees, then UCD is slightly more expensive, by €20. http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/undergraduate.htm & http://www.tcd.ie/Treasurers_Office/fees/UG_EU_Fees_2009-10.pdf Travel costs might make a difference depending on where you are living.

If you would prefer to go to TCD, I would take the place on the access course and re-apply next year. Access courses are looked upon favourably by colleges.

Well done on getting a place in UCD. It's not easily done! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CoffeeBlack

Thank you Larianne, that was very helpful.

A chat with the mature students office would be a good idea.

I’m feeling a little paranoid.

I have received a ‘recommended for offer’ from UCD.

This course is the highest course on my CAO application for which I have received an offer.

Am I right to say that I don’t have to do anything? I just wait for CAO to give me a formal offer sometime around the 6th of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I’m feeling a little paranoid.

I have received a ‘recommended for offer’ from UCD.

This course is the highest course on my CAO application for which I have received an offer.

Am I right to say that I don’t have to do anything? I just wait for CAO to give me a formal offer sometime around the 6th of July.

Yes, that is correct. :)

Have you decided what to do?

Thanks again Larianne, I was a bit jittery this morning.

Even the process of writing out my original post made it clear that UCD is the obvious choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Rubix

Hi CoffeeBlack,

I know I don't quite fit in your category but, I've just finished year one in Psychology with the OU. I remember opening the 'package' and thinking OMG what have I done? I looked at the books and thought I'm never going to be able to do this! But a year later and a year wiser I'm here with a verrry respectable average, despite children being sick everytime I had an assignment to write..... but it was addictive. Your lucky, in so far as, that you will have other students to talk too. Looking at my first essay and my last - there was a huge difference - I was learning all the time. Topics became more difficult, but everytime you will just rise to the challenge!! In the words of a famous musician, whose name escapes me, "You've got the power". They want you to be a success - never be afraid to ask for help. Good luck in your pursuits and don't lone the 18 year olds your notes!!! Rubix

Thanks Rubix,

I've gone from feeling quite daunted to looking forward to the challenge.

I'll write notes in code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Rubix

Just read my post again. Apologies, can't spell the word 'loan'!! Holy God, what next......

Watched Educating Rita with my daughter recently. The story may be fiction but the emotions and self doubt she goes through are very real to a mature student. Watch it with the requisite popcorn/glass of wine and have a laugh.

Also my tutor told me of a student she had on one of her courses years ago had no L.Cert. They kept in touch and this student has just finished a Phd in a big Irish University! Inspirational, and I'm sure there are many more mature students with similiar backgrounds.

Go get 'em.

Advertisement