Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website building software?

Options
  • 09-06-2010 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi, im starting out building my first website.eek.gif I've looked at some very basic HTML before and I have done some c programming.

I understand that I need a domain name and a web host etc. What I want to figure out is if it is best to design a website from scratch or if you should find some website building software (free software any suggestions?). This website will be for a business so it will have to look professional.biggrin.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Darkphenom wrote: »
    Hi, im starting out building my first website.eek.gif I've looked at some very basic HTML before and I have done some c programming.

I understand that I need a domain name and a web host etc. What I want to figure out is if it is best to design a website from scratch or if you should find some website building software (free software any suggestions?). This website will be for a business so it will have to look professional.biggrin.gif

Usually the HTML coding comes after a design has been finalised and rendered into a high quality image. You splice it into smaller reusable parts and position it in HTML using CSS.

If you want it to look professional, you're going to have to buy a template or hire a designer to create one for you.

The HTML itself isn't the hard part and you should pick it up pretty fast if you've already programmed with C.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

What is it exactly that you are trying to achieve?

What you will need:
    Hosting
    Domain
    Website

If there is content on this website then you should look into a CMS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

For learning i'd recommend starting from scratch. If you need to build a decent site, then I'd recommend buying a template.

Building the site with wordpress and a nice template can achieve pretty decent results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I am 100% against "website building software". Websites are quite simple to do (depending on how simple you want it) and as said above, buying a template is a good investment. Personally I think software for building sites usually makes everything a bit more complicated and the html code is usually generated in an awful way making it difficult to do anything with it if you ever get rid of the software.

Definitely read up on CSS and HTML and if you need a more advanced site then do some research on a server script language!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

lil_lisa wrote: »
    I am 100% against "website building software". Websites are quite simple to do (depending on how simple you want it) and as said above, buying a template is a good investment. Personally I think software for building sites usually makes everything a bit more complicated and the html code is usually generated in an awful way making it difficult to do anything with it if you ever get rid of the software.

Definitely read up on CSS and HTML and if you need a more advanced site then do some research on a server script language!

Good luck!

Yes but builders do save time where you can have your text aligned the way you want and stuff like that.

Also for HTML and CSS and XHTML what books would be useful?

• Advertisement

Well for all basics go to www.w3schools.com.

For books, I would definitely recommend investing in a 'Head First' book from O'Reilly books. You can buy decent priced books at www.bookdepository.co.uk with free delivery. You should start there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Yes but builders do save time where you can have your text aligned the way you want and stuff like that.

Also for HTML and CSS and XHTML what books would be useful?

I'm pretty sure anything you make with 'website building software' will look terrible and very unprofessional. Not to mention that it will be hard to maintain.

If you have content on the site and you need to update it or add new content a CMS is the way to go.

Learn HTML & CSS, its not hard and there are ton of resources out there for free.
    Heres a video tutorial on converting a Photoshop image of a webite to HTML:

http://net.tutsplus.com/articles/news/converting-a-design-from-psd-to-html/

Thanks for replies!

I am now determined to make a website myself but be warned I will be back on these forums for help! smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I am now determined to make a website myself but be warned I will be back on these forums for help! smile.gif
    Do not build a website yourself. Not for a professional company. Everyone's first few websites are terrible, and you shouldn't risk your business on that.

Definitely use a template or hire a web designer to work with you.

Thanks for replies!

We look forward to it :D

• Advertisement

p wrote: »
    Do not build a website yourself. Not for a professional company. Everyone's first few websites are terrible, and you shouldn't risk your business on that.

Definitely use a template or hire a web designer to work with you.

I am confident that I will do a good job. I would not put up a website for somebody unless I was 100% happy with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

I am confident that I will do a good job. I would not put up a website for somebody unless I was 100% happy with it anyway.

You very well may be 100% happy with it but that doesn't stop it being a not so good effort.

There are many things to consider:
    Accessibility
    Cross Browser compatibility.

A poor website will result in a loss of sales

nellyshark wrote: »
    You very well may be 100% happy with it but that doesn't stop it being a not so good effort.

There are many things to consider:
    Accessibility
    Cross Browser compatibility.

A poor website will result in a loss of sales

I will of course make sure that it works on other browsers

This business has a 10 year old website and the way it was set up means that it does not come up in a google search.

The business in question is an auctioneers. It has hardly any business so any publicity should only bring in more business.

I would like to point out again that I will make this website to a high standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I would like to point out again that I will make this website to a high standard.

What would you consider the cirteria for producing a high standard?

Advertisement