Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paper Two English Predictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭YungJoshy

One my mates said something about the Fool coming up. PLEASE don't just go and study the Fool now as I honestly don't know. I surely havn't just studied him be he heard that it was something with the Fool.

PLEASE don't take this into account fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

looking thru the papers they always seem to put up pictures for the essay... and they didnt today so maybe they are trying to catch people out and stop them learning of essays/just doing women poets... just a thought :P

oh **** someone beat me lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Alice10

Im doing girl with a Pearl Earring, Billy Elliot and Dancing at Lughnasa for the comparative can anyone help me with general vision and viewpoint? I'm really stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Alice10 wrote: »
    Im doing girl with a Pearl Earring, Billy Elliot and Dancing at Lughnasa for the comparative can anyone help me with general vision and viewpoint? I'm really stuck

gvv in dancing at lughnasa is mainly pessismitic... kate looses here job due to uncle jack's shenanigans in africa which shows the highly negative influence of church on the society which in turn causes a negative outlook on life...
    there is a vain of optimism to be seen in the dancing seen because the sisters throw away all their burdens and we think that perhaps they'll break free from the negativity surrounding the family.. negative ending as we see agnes and rosie run away because they loose their jobs in the factory due to big factory opening...

that's the general jist of that one... i'm not doing the others so... i better actually look over it myself tbh but have a go with that much anywyas

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Hey guys , I found some decent Lear quotes if you are interested here , http://www.literary-quotations.com/k/king_lear.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lisan

I'm studying:
    Literary Genre, and kind of looking at GVV
    Longley, Boland and Yeat, and kinda of looking at eliot
    Lear: Plot and Sub-Plot, Imagery, Lear himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodle53

Do you think a question on poetic techniques could come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 shocxxxxxx

Victoria. wrote: »
    Right so paper one is done, now lets move on to paper II......

I plan to study:

• General vision and viewpoint
    • Yeats, Eliot, Longley, Kavanagh
    • King Lear himself, sub-plot, imagery, nature
    Yep, that's it :)

What about everyone else?

I think you should study cultural context, eavan boland and the theme of love in king lear...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kevvv

I'm doing
    • GVV and CC
    • Longley (good detail), Kavanagh(not so much) and Yeats as my back up
    • For King Lear I'v done Cordelia,Lear,main theme,"a man more sinned against than sinning","the sub-plot reflects and reinforces the main plot".
    Thats pretty much it.. Anything else I should be doing (other than getting of boards :p) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭fireflys

what is the sub plot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

ryanf1 wrote: »
    What about key moments? I really dont want them to come up
    shblob wrote: »
    Key moments in what G.V.V?

When you are doing the comparitive, you are expected to relate, or to contrast key moments.

Key moments are fundamental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I'm going to go with~

- General Vision and Viewpoint
    - King Lear; Lear himself, how he's a man 'more sinned against than sinning', Edmund/Goneril/Regan, good vs. evil, how the evil characters are far more interesting.
    - Poetry; have been perfect with Boland all throughout the year, but since there's so much hype surrounding her, I'm not even sure anymore! I might have Yeats as a back up.

And yeah, YungJoshy. Our English teacher had the Fool heavily tipped as well. She was constantly making us write essays about him, and it was the only thing we studied in detail this year, besides how Lear was 'a man more sinned against than sinning'. I might take a quick look over some of my old questions, not sure yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

i think anyone who wasn't here last year should see this thread, for entertainment purposes....see how i was the first to reply :P
    i remember there being either 10000 or 100000 people viewing that thread at one time at like 8 o clock at night!

Paper 2 leaked!!!

Heh, I'm sure I partook in that thread last year. I remember being bombarded with countless messages about that pointless petition thing to change the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

i spent aaages on that thread that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Hi guys, repeat student here a couple of years out of school, just wondered if anyone had any very general tips on answering the unseen poetry question? I'm a little rusty :p

Also, i've covered Boland & Rich as they were both on the course when I did the LC first time around, just wanna make sure the following poems are still on the course!

Child Of Our Time
    The War Horse
    The Famine Road

and

Aunt Jennifer's Tigers
    Storm Warning
    The Uncle Speaks In the Drawing Room
    Living in Sin
    The Roofwalker

Cheers ;)

Aye, those ones for Boland are still on the course. I studied all of those Rich poems last year, bar the Roofwalker, so I say you're safe enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Jack Leahy

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    How much are you expected to write for paper 2

King Lear - 3-4 pages (60 marks)

Comparative (i) 3-4 pages (70 marks)

or (ii) 1.5 pages (30 marks) & 2 pages (40 marks)

Poetry - Unseen 1 page (20 marks)

Prepared Poetry 3 pages (50 marks)

would this be about right.. i don't see the whole fuss about poetry seeing as the comparative and king lear are worth more than it...

but in general would this be about the right standard to right... when i say 2 pages i will get 3 pages and will maybe an extra quarter to half a page extra etc etc... is this enough to be writnig

It's not nearly enough. King Lear should be nearly 5, comparative 5 at least and prescribed poetry at least four.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

You must write some amount of crap. There is no need for that amount of writing what so ever.

To use that ole chestnut, it's quality, not quantity! Besides, some people have smaller writing than others, so your five page Lear essay could be perhaps two and a half for them.

• Advertisement

All depends on what you're looking for at the end of the day, if you're looking for A1 then 3/4 pages isn't really enough, he's right. Certainly not for comparative anyway, it should be closer to 7 or 8.

Quality not quantity is a bit of a myth really, it's probably true in terms of outright length as seen on the paper, but in terms of it's content there is a certain quantity that's required

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

All depends on what you're looking for at the end of the day, if you're looking for A1 then 3/4 pages isn't really enough, he's right. Certainly not for comparative anyway, it should be closer to 7 or 8.

Quality not quantity is a bit of a myth really, it's probably true in terms of outright length as seen on the paper, but in terms of it's content there is a certain quantity that's required

That my friend is BS of the highest order. Your talking to someone who got 83 % and didn't do Lear ( 10/60) oh and my compartive was 5 pages and i got 62/70. So really, stop saying crap.

No examiner wants to read an 8 page essay. Please stuff your theory where it belongs: in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Ah come on now, yous must have rockets on your hands if your thinking of writing that many pages.

I did 4 for comparative, 4 and a bit maybe for Macbeth and 3.5 - 4 for poetry last year and I got the points in it. Quality is what they're looking for, however, thats not to say that you will get away with 2 pages of gold.

A lot of it comes down to the examiners opinion at the end of the day though.

Plenty of good luck to everyone later, hope you all get what you are looking for :)

Call it what you will fufureida, if you can fit enough information for 70/70 in a comparative essay then I congratulate you, you're a better man than I am. I know what's required to get the A1 having done the LC before and got the grade in English, I've been tutored by an experienced examiner on both occasions and been told that, generally, to achieve A1 standard in English paper 2 you need a bare minimum of 5-6 pages for comparative, 4-5 for poetry and similar length for Single Text.

As i've said, i'm talking about covering bases here. Let's face it, 170 mins is a long time. If you can write more than 5 pages in the time you've given yourself then why not do it? Saying an examiner does not want to read an 8 page essay is, to borrow your phrase BS, an examiner will happily read a 20 page essay if well-written as opposed to 4 pages of crap. It's far easier for an examiner to correct a well-written essay, they love seeing a high standard of English. My comparative was 8 pages long in '08, I anticipate it will be slightly longer this year. I like to fully introduce and conclude my essay, it makes a good impression, so I'd imagine there will be 5-6 pages of actual comparison in the middle. I could strip it down if necessary but I have enough time to pad it, and it looks nice, so that's what I shall do ;)

I'd find it more difficult to fit enough information ito 5 pages than I would to write 8, if others are different then so be it, but writing an 8 page comparative is certainly not BS, I don't think you're doing the LC this year? If you are, then good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 leavingcert92

praying that yeats or longley will come up..:rolleyes:

lear himslef..:)

and literary genre or GVV.. very straightforward Q's with no twists like key moments....:D

if not I'm screwed.....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 087sativa

anyone got time recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

087sativa wrote: »
    anyone got time recommendations?
    10 Mins reading paper
    50 Mins prescribed poetry
    1 Hour King Lear
    1 Hour 5 Mins comparative
    15 mins Unseen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lookingfor?

Guys there is no need to have 12 pages I am doing at on tape and got 62% in my mocks with only 7 pages it's about what you put down and not crap
    I have studyed
    wb yates
    kavanagh
    bolland
    they where all on my mock papper and my english thather says that's all we need to no

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Finical wrote: »
    10 Mins reading paper
    50 Mins prescribed poetry
    1 Hour King Lear
    1 Hour 5 Mins comparative
    15 mins Unseen

Surely you need to spend more time on the Unseen? like say 30mins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Surely you need to spend more time on the Unseen? like say 30mins?
    Probably man, I just spend 15 mins on it 'cause I'm pretty crap at it, usually just bluff a personal response three quarters of a page. :pac:

Advertisement