Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paper Two English Predictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Finical wrote: »
    Probably man, I just spend 15 mins on it 'cause I'm pretty crap at it, usually just bluff a personal response three quarters of a page. :pac:

Scared the sh!t out of me there! I thought I was the only one gonna spend 30mins on it, 10-15mins reading/understanding etc. then 15mins for the q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Scared the sh!t out of me there! I thought I was the only one gonna spend 30mins on it, 10-15mins reading/understanding etc. then 15mins for the q
    Haha don't heed me! Lear is my big big problem really. :(

Haha don't heed me! Lear is my big big problem really. :(

Welcome to ''Failing lear Club'' the toilet is on your right!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 087sativa

im guessing quite a few peple are ****ed for lear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

How likely is it for the Fool to appear?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

20-25 should be enough for unseen poetry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Im scared for P2. It could fail me the exam :-(

MariaBabii wrote: »

Some say theres a high chance of a ''minor'' character to appear. But I'm in hope that he doesn't because I cba learning him 2 hours before the exam.

MariaBabii wrote: »
    Sure if he comes there will probably be a handy enough theme. Well I hope so! :D

Sure if he comes there will probably be a handy enough theme. Well I hope so! :D

Explain why you don't like this character in as few words as possible

''His name''

Hope that theme comes up:pac:

• Advertisement

Explain why you don't like this character in as few words as possible

''His name''

Hope that theme comes up:pac:
    Haha we can hope for it or ''Briefly just blab on about as much as you know about the play King Lear''.

Haha we can hope for it or ''Briefly just blab on about as much as you know about the play King Lear''.

Marking scheme '' Give points for full stops and commas.

Gift :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Woot! full stops and commas! They should give us marks for filling out our calculator model no. in the english exam. I'm not even going to bother studying Lear. I know it well enough from my teacher drumming it into us. I'll just come up with something on the spot.

Poetry: I have a 1/17 chance of not getting a poet I want. I like those odds. I could've spent an hour studying walcott to decrease the risk to 1/70 but meh. (plus I don't know my 3 too well either)

comparative - I just need to remember names of the characters and who's who.

H2student wrote: »
    Poetry: I have a 1/17 chance of not getting a poet I want. I like those odds. I could've spent an hour studying walcott to decrease the risk to 1/70 but meh.

You mean 1/7:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,797 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Guys there is no need to have 12 pages I am doing at on tape and got 62% in my mocks with only 7 pages it's about what you put down and not crap
    I have studyed
    wb yates
    kavanagh
    bolland
    they where all on my mock papper and my english thather says that's all we need to no

I agree. I was thinking 8 pages should do the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I just did the calculation again, and I got 1/14 o_O

this might not be a time to be doing math but I did it like this:

I have 3 poets, 8 in total so:

5r8 x 4r7 x 3r6 x 2r5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

Call it what you will fufureida, if you can fit enough information for 70/70 in a comparative essay then I congratulate you, you're a better man than I am. I know what's required to get the A1 having done the LC before and got the grade in English, I've been tutored by an experienced examiner on both occasions and been told that, generally, to achieve A1 standard in English paper 2 you need a bare minimum of 5-6 pages for comparative, 4-5 for poetry and similar length for Single Text.

As i've said, i'm talking about covering bases here. Let's face it, 170 mins is a long time. If you can write more than 5 pages in the time you've given yourself then why not do it? Saying an examiner does not want to read an 8 page essay is, to borrow your phrase BS, an examiner will happily read a 20 page essay if well-written as opposed to 4 pages of crap. It's far easier for an examiner to correct a well-written essay, they love seeing a high standard of English. My comparative was 8 pages long in '08, I anticipate it will be slightly longer this year. I like to fully introduce and conclude my essay, it makes a good impression, so I'd imagine there will be 5-6 pages of actual comparison in the middle. I could strip it down if necessary but I have enough time to pad it, and it looks nice, so that's what I shall do ;)

I'd find it more difficult to fit enough information ito 5 pages than I would to write 8, if others are different then so be it, but writing an 8 page comparative is certainly not BS, I don't think you're doing the LC this year? If you are, then good luck:)

Well if you're writing eight pages you clearly have massive handwriting... I'm an A1 student and today I wrote: 4 pages for comparative, 4 for Lear, 3 for prescribed poetry and 1 and a third for the unseen. I do have small handwriting... an apporximate word count is a more accurate way of guiding length than how many pages you write. Everybody knows approximately how many words they can write per page and the guidelines for these questions are: 1200 words approx. for comparative and 100-1200 for single text, and about 900 words for the prescribed poetry. And before you decide to dispute me I consulted a Chief Examiner about this, he said he's given A1s to prescribed poetry essays with around 700 words. I echo the previous comments about quality not quantity. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

I'd average about 8-9 words per line, prety run of the mill i'd have thought. Anyway, I never said that grades were based purely on length of answer, I just find it quite funny that when someone's not sure if they've written enough everybody goes into sympathy mode but as soon as someone claims to have written slightly more than the average people jump on them straight away, how dare they do such a thing?!

As I said to someone else, if you can fit enough relevant info into 4 pages in a comparative essay then well done, I couldn't do it ;) I hope you get the A1 if that's what you're aiming for, good luck!

I wrote 9.5 pages for Comp, 6 for Lear, 6 for Rich and 1.5 for unseen... Sorry, couldn't resist :P

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

On a summer's afternoon, reading through 9.5 pages of comparative? I know what I would prefer to do, even if being paid.

It's quality of quantity, always. 9.5 pages seems a bit much, I did part 2 to the V&V. Chose the method of Key Moments, compared 3 for the 30 marker, and then 2 key moments from each text for the 40 marker, writing 5 pages in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Dear lord, I hope ye don't spend as much time IRL comparing lengths! :P

Let it go ... it really has very little relevance one way or the other!

• Advertisement

Size is EVERYTHING Mr. Longhorn

Nope! That's the mistake everyone makes: "if it's big enough, it will be grand!"

Whereas technique / quality of what you do with it is actually far more important. ;)

With a name like yours I refuse to believe that's your real opinion :P

Ah, but you see, if you have the length and the quality ... ;)

Some people get all the luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Randylonghorn , just a quick question!
    If you did Eliot but only managed to get two poems dealt with - in loads of detail etc. Like quality wise its very impressive - does it matter that u didnt deal with more than 2 poems?

You make your own luck ... at least as far as the quality aspect is concerned!

PARARORY wrote: »
    Randylonghorn , just a quick question!
    If you did Eliot but only managed to get two poems dealt with - in loads of detail etc. Like quality wise its very impressive - does it matter that u didnt deal with more than 2 poems?
    Pararory, I haven't corrected in a few years, so I'm not going to second-guess any specific instructions the examiners may get on this one.

In general, though, if you have given good, well-argued, detailed answers drawing on two poems, I wouldn't imagine that the lack of a third would substantially affect your mark, if at all ... especially with Eliot, whose poems tend to meaty, to say the least.

However, as I say, I don't know what specific instructions the examiners may be given this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

thanks for the quick reply , yeh like i went into both poems in huge detail and loaded up the essay with quotes etc , maybe they won't even notice =)

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest, which two poems did you draw upon?

Advertisement