Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€350,000 worth of cocaine found at Waterford Regional Airport

• 09-06-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

€350,000 worth of cocaine found at Waterford Regional Airport

An investigation is underway after 350 thousand euro worth of cocaine was found at Waterford Regional Airport on Saturday.

Officers from Revenue's Customs Service found three and a half kilos of the drug in the luggage of a passenger who was heading to London Luton.

A man has been arrested and is helping Gardai with their inquiries.

http://www.wlrfm.ie/tabId/269/itemId/1958/350000-worth-of-cocaine-found-at-Waterford-Regio.aspx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

this person obviously was under surveillance for a while coz ya don,t just happen to stumble across that amount of drugs on some random passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

First i heard of this , im sure thats just because its waterford airport and does not make big news as its just small little waterford :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 miaowchi

ah yes iam sure it fell out of the passengers bag rolling down the state of the art baggage belt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

this person obviously was under surveillance for a while coz ya don,t just happen to stumble across that amount of drugs on some random passenger

Unlikely. They xray both carry-on and check in luggage in Waterford airport, 3.5kgs of coke would represent a fairly large orange slodge on their screen. The customs lads were bound too look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Unlikely. They xray both carry-on and check in luggage in Waterford airport, 3.5kgs of coke would represent a fairly large orange slodge on their screen. The customs lads were bound too look.
    All carry on luggage now goes through xray machines there. Cocaine would have shown up as an organic material which wouldn't raise too many suspicions because all food stuffs would show up the same. The suspects body language would have given away a lot more information than the actual xray and brief initial physical examination of the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Didnt think any moron would want to carry that much through any airport never mind land in a London airport with it, could he not just get the boat like everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

this has obviously been tried and tested and successful at waterford ariport before a bit of a soft touch to get drugs in and out!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

i dont think its a soft touch,its people who think it is.sure a few people have been caught already,i thought they have sniffer dogs there,rem reading about it somewhere b4.

anplaya wrote: »
    i dont think its a soft touch,its people who think it is.sure a few people have been caught already,i thought they have sniffer dogs there,rem reading about it somewhere b4.

The airport doesnt have a resident sniffer dog(AFAIK there are only 4 or 5 working the entire country), they do borrow one from Rosslare the odd time though, but generally only to check flights coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

rasper wrote: »
    Didnt think any moron would want to carry that much through any airport never mind land in a London airport with it, could he not just get the boat like everyone else
    Exactly. Boat + train into London and you'll not pass a single security check along the way unless very unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 urhavinalaugh

I never knew we had so many experts in our city ,on how to successfully transfer illegal drugs from here to the UK ,i wonder is this the reason they closed down the Amsterdam route :D.

Nah i dont think so !;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The airport doesnt have a resident sniffer dog(AFAIK there are only 4 or 5 working the entire country), they do borrow one from Rosslare the odd time though, but generally only to check flights coming in.
    No, Waterford has it's own sniffer dog. Bred and trained in Waterford but frustratingly spends a lot of it's time "rented" out to other areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

A job well done by all concerned,is it just me but since the new waterford garda drugs unit was set they have a more professional approach,ie going after the players more so then end user's.

A job well done by all concerned,is it just me but since the new waterford garda drugs unit was set they have a more professional approach,ie going after the players more so then end user's.

They certainly seem to have had some huge results recently, but busting end users I imagine is their bread and butter?

The DS may not have much interest in Joe bloggs who dabbles but, and I'm guessing here; I would say the majority of info about large hauls comes from users who get caught in the street and decide to "help the police with their enquiries" allowing the police to move a little further up the chain of supply?

i agree low level intelegence is the bread and butter of all law enforcement agenices but end user would not know about this level,paper chain phone records plus dirty tricks can lead to big rewards also now that customs and garda work hand in hand makes it a little bit harder for charile to move about.If they knew about this guy i wonder why he did not get a safe run to contact in uk.

i agree low level intelegence is the bread and butter of all law enforcement agenices but end user would not know about this level,paper chain phone records plus dirty tricks can lead to big rewards also now that customs and garda work hand in hand makes it a little bit harder for charile to move about.If they knew about this guy i wonder why he did not get a safe run to contact in uk.

No you're right, but the end user may only be 3 steps removed from those volumes (End user buys from a bloke who buys a few ounces, who gets it from a fella buying in kg's etc)

Personally I doubt the police or customs would have had prior knowledge of these drugs going through the airport, rather that 3.5kg of ANYTHING in someones luggage would be hard to miss, even if the customer officer wasnt really paying attention.

in the 90's they had a top dog in rosslare called Jake he was a golden lab with a talent and love of his job,he even won an award from interpol,he was kidnapped from his handler's back garden and people feared the worst,much to everybody's surprise he turned up in a disused farm shed outside wexford alive and well,shortly afterward's it was discovered he had been "peppered" leaving him with no sense of smell,it is believed gilligan's'gang were behind this cruel act.:mad:these guy's stop at nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

They'll stop at nothing...has Jake been replaced....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Yes, there's a dog called Dylan who work Rosslare port and has had many successful finds. He's a Springer spaniel I think. He's also at Waterford Airport from time to time. A friend flew in to Waterford Regional a few years ago and there was a well known actor on the flight who was looking mighty uncomfortable when the dog passed by ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Maybe he had a fear of dogs... :D

• Advertisement

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Yes, there's a dog called Dylan who work Rosslare port and has had many successful finds. He's a Springer spaniel I think. He's also at Waterford Airport from time to time. A friend flew in to Waterford Regional a few years ago and there was a well known actor on the flight who was looking mighty uncomfortable when the dog passed by ;)

John Hurt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

er no names! :eek:

Poochie05 wrote: »
    i thought his name was Terry and kept in Enniscorthy Garda station.:pac:

Advertisement