Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Poetry Question

Options
  • 09-06-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭

Would it be okay to start a poetry answer with a quote from another poet or just use a quote from another Poet in an answer eg.

Start a Yeats answer with: "O commemorate me with no hero-courageous Tomb - just a canal-bank seat for the passer-by." and then just say how this is in total contrast to Yeats' ego :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pineapple123

Eeekk!!

Em...I wouldn't risk it...your examiner will have a deep knowledge of the prescribed poets, and of who says what...I'd stick to the poet being questioned! It's an interesting approach, and one which would perhaps merit a good few marks in college, but what happens if you get an examiner who is correcting scripts for the first time, and decide to adhere to the marking scheme rigidly?! Or an old examiner who likes structure and what-not?!

Good idea though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Ya thats kinda what I was thinking but I don't think that you can really get penalised if you put it in as a quote from Kavanagh, I just don't see how I could get penalised for it; Its pretty much the same as quoting a critic or whatever really. But we'll see how it goes and if a decide to do something like that...Yeats better come up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodle53

Do you think a question on poetic techniques could come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

My teacher said it's good to make the odd comparison to other poets on the course.

Then again, he' a ****ing moron..

Doodle53 wrote: »
    Do you think a question on poetic techniques could come up?

Ya probably could come up but just look through the papers (I don't even have papers, but its all online)...all the questions are the same. All answers should include language even if you're not asked about it; It was news to me when I first heard it but it makes sense, poetry is all about language. Although I don't think that they could base a full essay on poetic techniques...I hope not anyway!!

• Advertisement

JoeyBuddy wrote: »
    My teacher said it's good to make the odd comparison to other poets on the course.

Then again, he' a ****ing moron..

So am I :D

Advertisement