Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hens & Duck Egg Production - Smallholding

• 09-06-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting some laying hens and ducks to start up a small egg business. I have some land and experience with animals, and want to start off something that uses the land, gives us an interest and turns a few shillings .......... we're not looking to make a living out of it, just to start up something that's productive and gives us an alternative revenue stream for a few bucks.

To get it right I'm looking for guidance in the areas of: looking after the birds, feed costs, henhouse / duckhouse space requirements per bird (they'd run free-range during the day with lots of space), medical needs, etc. etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction - either good, information online resources or some good books I can buy? All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

Sorry to drag up an old thread but would be interested to know how you got on with this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

I completed a course from home with Teagasc - and it was excellent. Its to FETAC Level 5, and provides answers to all the questions. For €75 its the best value you'll get. They run it every so often when numbers make it viable, so if you're interested contact Teagasc in Athenry. If you PM me I'll send you on the name of the contact person there.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement