Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkee Diving boards!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

this country is a ****ing joke

the wheels are coming off the economy, every day people are losing their jobs etc etc etc

and all some buracrats are worried about is a health and safety assessment on something that has been never had a recorded accident against it

I cant actually verbalise how pissed off I am about this!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

mitresize5 wrote: »
    this country is a ****ing joke

the wheels are coming off the economy, every day people are losing their jobs etc etc etc

and all some buracrats are worried about is a health and safety assessment on something that has been never had a recorded accident against it

I cant actually verbalise how pissed off I am about this!!!

You and many people. The kids loved the diving boards and they were a big draw. What is most annoying is the admission from the jobsworths that there had been no accidents but they needed to do an assessment. Cretins!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms.Cosmo

It is actually ridiculous!!!
    Will they get rid of the pier now... stop kids from tomb-stoning off of it???

Ms.Cosmo wrote: »
    It is actually ridiculous!!!
    Will they get rid of the pier now... stop kids from tomb-stoning off of it???

Don't give them ideas!

right so ...

The Kilkee Town Manager confirmed that the equipment has been removed due to health and safety concerns .... one state employee spends time coming to the conclusion at a cost in time (and therefore money) to the state

outside contractor or other CC employee contracted and paid to remove ladders and boards

Clare Water Safety Development Officer Liam Griffin confirmed that IWS has been requested to appoint an independent water safety risk assessor to conduct a full assessment of the equipment.
    The bould Liam no doubt spends a day or two drawing up a report and 'requesting' that IWS do a risk assessments on these most hazardous pieces of recreational equipment

IWS will spend a few weeks doing said risk assessment and no doubt charge CCC handsomely for the privilege.

All for a few diving boards that have never caused a bit of harm and infact have brought much enjoyment and fun to people (including myself) for generations in Kilkee

I do genuinely wonder where this country is going to end up ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Absoultely crazy - just found about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

we now live in a nanny state.:mad:

we now live in a nanny state.:mad:

I have just listened to Clare FM and the head of IWS who according to the link posted was to carry out the risk assessment says they can't carry out an assessment on something that isn't there. A nanny is one thing but an incompetent nanny is even worse.

and will someone be held accountable for the fiasco - like **** they will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Doesn't make sense why they were removed without any consultation. The IWS reaction to it makes the whole thing even more bizarre

Updated story here
    http://www.clareherald.com/en/regional/local/2211-kilkee-marine-rescue-service-objects-to-removal-of-cliff-ladders.html

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Doesn't make sense why they were removed without any consultation. The IWS reaction to it makes the whole thing even more bizarre

Updated story here
    http://www.clareherald.com/en/regional/local/2211-kilkee-marine-rescue-service-objects-to-removal-of-cliff-ladders.html

I have heard it said that certain people aren't happy with Kilkee within official Clare. The powers that be resent the fact that people come to Kilkee and not to their own pet spots. This smells political. I could be wrong but surely even in Clare County Council nobody could be that incompetent. Could they?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sian

Hi everyone,

Tom Byrne started the above facebook page. If you have a chance please join it and send an email to Clare Co Council or ur local representative.

The boards themselves aren't even the property of the council they were sponsored by Naughton's and the Diamond Rocks Cafe.

This is a ludicrous and dangerous decision that must be reversed.

Please lend your support,

Many thanks,

Sian

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I agree with Sian re the facebook, however, I recommend everyone concerned should also make direct contact with their councillors, by email and phone. Let them know that you are against this and that you see them as complicit unless they get them reinstated. Chase each and every one of them.

http://www.clarecoco.ie/your-council/contact-the-council/councillors/kilrush/

The same crap is happening with the barriers in Fanore and at least they are listening on that one, and that is down to the direct contact made to the councillors.

sian wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Tom Byrne started the above facebook page. If you have a chance please join it and send an email to Clare Co Council or ur local representative.

The boards themselves aren't even the property of the council they were sponsored by Naughton's and the Diamond Rocks Cafe.

This is a ludicrous and dangerous decision that must be reversed.

Please lend your support,

Many thanks,

Sian

Have joined as have over 500 members I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I can't help that 'moving backwards' feeling over this.

I'm disgusted.

So many great memories shared across generations. I'll swim on, but I'll curse these people every time I have to climb out without the ladder at Burns' Cove. May they get the luck they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sian

well said OldGuysRule

200 hundred people climbing up slippery rocks within in 10 minutes of each other at the end of the Bay Swim this year should be interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Nora Kaye should be made walk the plank?

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

I was due to bring my family to Kilkee for the week around the Bay Swim in August. We had a blast last year. No boards/ladders, no holiday as far as I'm concerned.

I'll be cancelling the trip and looking elsewhere.

Not in Clare either.

Bloody jobsworths.

What's the betting on the council looking to force the local business community to stump up for the insurance costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sicky

What a f*****g joke this country has become.
    How will all the kids & ould lads get out of Burns' now?
    The Lifeguards will be working overtime treating cuts and you could bleed to death driving all the way to the Regional in Dorradoyle for a few stitches, not to mention possible concussions, neck injuries etc. The swell can be 6 or seven feet out there on any given summers day depending on the tide.
    It won't affect little Psychos like this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juoL7U-MT_4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

From yesterday:

http://www.clarepeople.com/index.php/201006101607/Latest-News/safety-boss-wants-kilkee-diving-boards-re-installed.html

Safety boss wants Kilkee diving boards re-installed

The Irish Water Safety Association (IWSA) is insisting that Clare County council will have to re-install the diving boards and ladders it removed from bathing spots around Kilkee yesterday. Despite strong local opposition, the council removed the boards and ladders citing safety concerns and stating that it had contacted the IWSA to carry out a risk assessment. However IWSA chief executive John Leech said that a proper risk assessment could only be carried out with the equipment in place and advised the council to re-install the boards and ladders. He described the council's actions as "very peculiar" and said it was not normal procedure for equipment to be removed without any risk assessment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Common sense at last? A step in the right direction anyway.

Safety testing has taken place already, by the way, throughout the 20th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Captain Scarlet

Palmach wrote: »
    I have heard it said that certain people aren't happy with Kilkee within official Clare. The powers that be resent the fact that people come to Kilkee and not to their own pet spots. This smells political. I could be wrong but surely even in Clare County Council nobody could be that incompetent. Could they?

Whatever it is, it has nothing to do with swimming or diving. I´d say there are many layers to this particular onion, probably involving local politics, competing personal, business and/or planning interests, etc. etc. BTW, I´ve been using the boards and ladders for forty years, I now take my own wife and kids on holidays there. We´ve been every year now for the past fourteen years, but as we haven´t booked yet for this summer, we´ll wait and see what happens. If the boards and ladders aren´t reinstated, we won´t be going to Kilkee again. This isn´t chagrin, there´s just no point if swimming is restricted to the Pollock Holes (too crowded, only usable at low tide) or Kilkee Beach (sand is too degraded...try digging in it with a spade and you´ll see what I mean). No Burns Cove and no Newfoundout equals no more holidays in Kilkee.

The thought occurs to me, however, that perhaps this isn´t illogical...it may be the best publicity stunt any seaside resort has ever pulled off. Kilkee on the Radio and T.V. News, the National and Local Press, Internet Chat Forums, etc., just at the beginning of the tourist season and just when everyone´s thinking of spending their holidays in Ireland because of Volcanic Ash fears...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I reckon that insurance issue is only a fudge - I fail to see how that would have come up when theres never been a accident down there. Methinks someone is trying to cover their backs

I hope the IWSC report invites submissions from locals before they come to their conclusions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Insurance is just rubbish. The Local Authorities are obliged under EU legislation to manage bathing spots within their areas. The chances of someone getting injured due to lack of ladders is greater. Presumably the insurance premium will also rise. Taking away safety equipment does not absolve the local authority of responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sicky

01201_00805.jpg
    Locals and holidaymakers in Kilkee were celebrating the return of public diving boards yesterday after an assessment by the Irish Water Safety Association found the boards were fit for purpose. Citing health and safety concerns, the boards were removed by Clare County Council a month ago without any local consultation. They were briefly reinstated to allow for the safety assessment and removed again. When they were finally reinstated yesterday, divers and spectators were bemused to see that the council had also erected signs warning people not to dive into the sea. Local architect and former town council member, Tom Byrne, who established a 3,000-strong Facebook campaign for the restoration of the boards, was one of the first to dive from the boards at Newfoundout yesterday.
    (from the Clare People)

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssss

I'm going to give a cermonial belly flop off them on Saturday - just cause I can

Glad to report that we (Mrs. Scarlet, the kids and I) spent the last two weeks of August in Kilkee, had a superb time (during which I took part in the annual Bay Swim and finished in 49 minutes.....(no, please, no applause....;)). The boards are still in situ, and my 7 and 11 year olds had great times jumping off them many, many times, without incident. Thanks Nora. Just leave ´em alone next year, eh? If you want us back, that is.

• Advertisement

FWIW - spent four days in Kilkee during the stunning Easter weather, and the diving boards are still there. Not sure if they've been there since last summer, or if they were recently put up.

Advertisement