Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

2 Xbox's - 1 router

• 09-06-2010 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

In my house we have two xboxs. Both with seperate live accounts. Now sometimes both work without a hitch, and then sometimes only one will work. It's the age old NAT Type problem! One will find a game while the other one stays in strict, or both will be strict.

Obviously I opened the ports, but I can only open the ports for one IP address, which is only one xbox.

Has anyone ever had this problem, and fixed it? From what I can gather I need to either:

1) Get a new router for the second xbox or,
    2) Get a second IP address, aparently you can buy IP addresses, but I dont know how true that is!

Any suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Live4Ever wrote: »
    Obviously I opened the ports, but I can only open the ports for one IP address, which is only one xbox.

Why can you only open ports for one address??

You set an ip address on each xbox for example x.x.x.5 and x.x.x.6
    In the network settings on each xbox assign them with an ip.

Then you go in and open the required ports for the ip address x.x.x.5 and then open the same ports for the address x.x.x.6

Havent done it myself but dont see how it wouldnt work. I have one xbox connected but I can go into my router and open ports for other devices on other ip address so I could add a second xbox and open the ports for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Axwell wrote: »
    Why can you only open ports for one address??

You set an ip address on each xbox for example x.x.x.5 and x.x.x.6
    In the network settings on each xbox assign them with an ip.

Then you go in and open the required ports for the ip address x.x.x.5 and then open the same ports for the address x.x.x.6

Havent done it myself but dont see how it wouldnt work. I have one xbox connected but I can go into my router and open ports for other devices on other ip address so I could add a second xbox and open the ports for it.

I've three xboxes set up in the house, plus two laptops and an iphone. I've given them all their own ip addresses, opened the ports for each xbox individually and they all have open NAT.

Once you've done that, make sure to power off your modem regularly for at least 30 seconds. Often it's the router/modem getting IP flooded causing NAT problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Are you with UPC? We were having problems with a crap Cisco Wireless Modem/Router. So we asked them to swap it for a Scientific Atlantic one and we haven't had any problems since, 2 xboxes with open Nats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

This website will help you no end, I have a Dlink 2740B with 3 xbox's and open NAT, this is a dsl router, dunno what you have. http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

2 360s, 2 ps3s, 2 ds's, 2 wiis, 4 laptops, 1 mac, 4 desktop pcs and 2 satellite recievers always connected to the internet in my gaff in ireland and ive never seen this kinda problem. is it an ISP thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

To be honest I would imagine as I posted above the issue is with the OP and the fact he isnt aware of how to open ports on two IP addresses. He said he can only open ports on one IP, this however isnt true and he doesnt seem to be aware of it. By opening the ports on the second IP it will solve all the issues with strict NAT on one machine while the other is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions.

It's a NETGEAR router, about 2 years old. My internet provider is NTL/UPC.

Believe me I know how to open ports, as I said I opened the ports for the first xbox and it has open NAT type 24/7. The second xbox is moderate, and finds a game every 25 minutes which is obviously a pain. I tried countless times to open the ports for the second one, and everytime it kicked back an error message.

Relatedly the internet speed has been SO shi*e lately, I mean so bad a youtube video wouldn't buffer! So i rang NTL/UPC and they agreed to send out a technician to sort this out. I'm at the stage where I'm about to fcuk the modem and router out the window. I'm gonna try and get a new modem as was suggested above, the one I have is about 5 years old so, I imagine, it's well outdated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Haggis The Dog

Think it is a IP address conflict, i had it recently when i had laptop, xbox, Wii, Ipod all on at same time, found some of them were set up on same IP address, set them up on seperate (as suggested above xxx.xxx.x.5 / xxx.xxx.x.6 etc) and no more conflicts and all work together in unison.

Advertisement