Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Ardkeen Car Park Rant

• 09-06-2010 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

I'm a quiet enough lad but I'm starting to get annoyed with the amount of inconsiderate and sometimes dangerous carry on in Tesco Ardkeen's car park.

Every single visit I see:

Able bodied people without a disabled person accompanying them parking in the disabled spaces.

Leaving cars parked diagonally in the set down area.

People who can't use the set down area due to the above just stopping and blocking the driving lane. People who create a new parking space on the hatched markings at the end of the parking rows. All of this combining to block the road altogether at times.

People queueing for the petrol pumps but are half way out onto the road.

People driving around the car park at speed and create their own special driving lane criss-crossing several rows of parking spaces and lanes.

Saw this pleb combo today:

A lady parking in a mother and child space but she has no children with her. A car in front of me then stopping and blocking the road in order to have a open window chat with the childless bint. Couldn't pass her out either because for some reason she was driving along the middle of the two lanes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The open plan layout promotes stupid driving alright. Turning right into the forecourt can be a tester at times due to the shubbery on the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

How do define a "disability"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

In relation to parking I believe they have to satisfy some requirement in order to receive a disabled parking permit. That'll do me.

No ticky, no laundry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Well in my mind if you don't have a disabled permit on your car you've no right to park there..simple as

I'd often go up their with the 3 kids and all the parent and kids spaces would be taken up and a few times I've seen just women with no kids open the boot and put in the groceries sans children and me driving around like a fool looking for a space..that and people driving up and down and cutting corners..it's worse late in the evening when their arent many in the car park..it's like a rally free for all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

You need an in-date disabled permit to park in a disabled spot.
    No permit then you are not entitled to park there even if you have a genuine disability when you park there.

More info can be got here.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/traffic-and-parking/disabled_persons_parking_card

It is up to Tesco to enforce this since it is on private property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you debate it with Tesco they will say that the car park isn't their responsibility. Likewise with the other shops. Don't know whose responsibility it is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

its as simple as this!! if ya don,t like the response from tesco with regards the car park then simply choose to shop elsewhere!!

its as simple as this!! if ya don,t like the response from tesco with regards the car park then simply choose to shop elsewhere!!

and miss out on all the 2 for 1s and the cheap bog roll??? NEVER!!!

snuggles09 wrote: »
    and miss out on all the 2 for 1s and the cheap bog roll??? NEVER!!!
    lol cheap bog roll ya say!!! right i,m heading out there in a min lol

lol cheap bog roll ya say!!! right i,m heading out there in a min lol

Just don't park in the set down area and I'll be happy :)

• Advertisement

C_Dawg wrote: »
    Just don't park in the set down area and I'll be happy :)
    lol i won,t i promise! don,t wanna be getting into trouble from ya Dawg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 miaowchi

They are just lazy plain and simple..... they actually want to park inside the place.... ridiculous

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Somebody that has the disabled permit sign on their car allowing them to park in a disabled spot, if they don't have this then they are not disabled in the eyes of the state

If they were disabled they should have no problem getting the sticker/permit....once up it can't be missed its a big blue sign

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Talking about people that can't park....car in the bottom left hand side of the webcam

idiotparkingcam.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There was a different car parked in the same way earlier too.

Good spot there Cabaal.

Is that actually one big long coach set down area? If it is the madness of Tesco Ardkeen must be spreading.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Talking about people that can't park....car in the bottom left hand side of the webcam

idiotparkingcam.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

where is this in waterford , i cant place the street , i havent been home since early 2009

is it the old ESB offices ??

Tis indeed buttie :)
    daftdave wrote: »
    is it the old ESB offices ??

jaysus they did a right job on it , looks fantastic

• Advertisement

Is that actually one big long coach set down area? If it is the madness of Tesco Ardkeen must be spreading.

Yeah thats what it looks like, but given the place isn't officially open and the bus parking hasn't yet been painted or signed we can't exactly fault them for parking there :)

Looks like a double bus bay parking spot to me..when its done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I was gonna say that tesco should have a parking attendant to stop people parking assways just like ardkeen stores. But you see the same madness down there sometimes though.
    It would'nt do any harm for tesco to employ a car park supervisor though who has a bag full of those 'parking violation' stickers to put on peoples cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

The last time I was parked in Tescos I noticed a lady hit her neighbours parked car not once but twice with her trolley while unpacking her shopping.. blatant disregard. I'd say she left a nice scratch. People need to learn how to control their trollies nevermind their cars out there.

BTW i heard Morris' DIY have a good deal going on toilet rolls. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think parking stupidity is wide spread TBH although funnily enough you don't really see it in any of the multi stories aroound.

People parking in handycap spaces is one of those things that really grind my gears though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Cabaal wrote: »
    Somebody that has the disabled permit sign on their car allowing them to park in a disabled spot, if they don't have this then they are not disabled in the eyes of the state

If they were disabled they should have no problem getting the sticker/permit....once up it can't be missed its a big blue sign

And to add to this. If they do have a disability permit and it's not displayed for whatever reason, they can be fined as well.

The last time I was parked in Tescos I noticed a lady hit her neighbours parked car not once but twice with her trolley while unpacking her shopping.. blatant disregard. I'd say she left a nice scratch. People need to learn how to control their trollies nevermind their cars out there.

BTW i heard Morris' DIY have a good deal going on toilet rolls. :)

In fairness though most trollies are a law onto themselves..I've yet to get one that doesnt have a dodgy stubborn wheel that weaves me out into the middle of the tesco carpark into the way of oncoming traffic (yeah thats me, the woman you see stumbling around in the middle of the road chasing a runaway trolley:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

dermo909 wrote: »
    I was gonna say that tesco should have a parking attendant to stop people parking assways just like ardkeen stores. But you see the same madness down there sometimes though.

Arkeen Stores' car park is way too small anyway, i deliver there every friday, try getting a truck (which is the guts of 32ft long) through that car park to the goods inwards yard at the back. The design of the whole thing is rediculus!

Ledger

I never got why they didn't design the Arkeen Stores site so goods vehicles couldn't sweep round the back and exit at the front (or other way round) there was plenty of land when they got planning for the current site I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Good spot there Cabaal.

All parking should removed from the Mall ASAP. It looks awful. This, along with the Quay, will be the street that we will be showing to tourists from now on. They couldn't even take a picture of it for all the parked cars and traffic. The Cork rd. is no longer a primary route, so the emphasis on traffic and parking needs to go. Besides which, the parking makes it dangerous, with parked cars trying to edge out onto a busy street.

There should also be flashing amber lights + zebra crossing, ala Ballybricken, between the Bishops palace and Waterford Crystal.

Also, speaking of coach set down areas, why do coaches and heavy vehicles think they can just park in the inner lane on the Quay. What a joke. Even though I head along the Quay towards Bilberry every morning, there is practically 0% chance that I can do it without moving to the outer lane and back again.

• Advertisement

Look at the parking on the Mall right now!

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/cam/

Advertisement