Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change counting machines

Options
  • 09-06-2010 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

You know when you have a big mad jar full of change that you couldn't be arsed counting. Where can you find a machine that'll count it for you? I know they exist cuz after the Euro came out I brought a load of Irish coins to central bank and they had a machine where you just poured the change in and it counted it all in seconds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

The one I use is in Tesco at the Roselawn Shopping Centre in Blanchardstown. Not sure of any in the City Centre though.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Tesco in Nutgrove has one too. They tend to take a nice percentage though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

One in the Spar in Tallaght next to the Abberley.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The Centra beside Ha'Penny Bridge (on south side) has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Tesco rathmines has one,
    think its a nice 13% commission though, so i'd be counting it myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Tesco in Nutgrove has one too. They tend to take a nice percentage though!

You're right. The one in my Tesco is 8-9% as far as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Doyler92 wrote: »
    You're right. The one in my Tesco is 8-9% as far as I remember.

Some take as much as 12%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Tesco in Jervis have one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

from a similar post in the cork city forum,

the machines in tesco take 9.9% off yah,

the ones elsewhere can vary, in centra they are 12.5%,
    its well worth going to tesco if you have a large qauntity of coins,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Does the bank/an post charge for maching counting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ph3n0m666

tesco - jervis street aswell

post office, i think they do accept, but they want them pre-bagged and seperated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

http://locator.coinstar.com/Locator.aspx?page=IE if you want to search for the machines (the kind they have in Tescos).

I don't really mind paying 1-2 euro if I don't have to count a hundred 1c, 2c and 5c coins myself, but can still buy stuff with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

The EuroSpar on Barrow Street has a machine. Think they charge 8%

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Go round to your local parish priest - they always have change counters. Offer him a 5% donation to the church and you're smiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lizm

I brought coins down to the one in my local tesco and it spit all the 1cent coins back out..................i think the ones they use in centras take the 1 cent coins but the tesco ones dont seem to..........they are different models of machines!!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Does the bank/an post charge for maching counting?

The banks won't count it for you. You have to count and bag it yourself and If I remember correctly, unless your lodging it in your account they take a hefty percentage too. Don't know about the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Bit of thread hijacking, but does anyone know where to get a personal change counter, the cheaper and smaller the better, we've started to get lazy in work.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Surely it would make sense for people to be offering better rates that 12%, more people would use them then. Everyone must have lots of spare change sitting around in jars. If the charge was 5% i reckon they would get better uptake.Do priests have coin counters - could do a deal is right with them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

OP, bag your change into the correct bags and the bank will lodge it to your account, simples! and free!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Bit of thread hijacking, but does anyone know where to get a personal change counter, the cheaper and smaller the better, we've started to get lazy in work.:D

Personal change counter available here, not that cheap or small though.

I charge 12% :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The machines in Tesco only charge commission if you take the cash. You get 100% if you use it as money off your shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Centra opposite Santry Stadium has one. Tesco in Omni Shopping Centre had one (not sure if its still there)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

the Banks don't take in bagged coins anymore, they use counting machines. if you take your coins to the Central Bank in Dame st they will count it and convert it to paper money for FREE. meant to go there myself just before christmas but didn't get a chance, used the local supervalu and was charged 12%....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I got one of these in some kind of a knick-knack store a few years ago -

http://www.sevenstar.ie/sevenstar/Main/Product-2006.asp?iProductID=3394

It's handy for sorting out small quantities, but I've no idea where to get one these days :(

The other option as has been pointed out is to bag it yourself and bring it to a bank. I've never had a problem doing it (but it's been a year or so, maybe they charge now), they just weighed the bags and gave me notes.

Just to clarify - the bags you bring to the bank have to be full with whatever coins they say on the front (100 1-cent or 50 2-euro etc). They don't take half-filled or mixed bags, whereas the machines will take whatever you pour into them (minus a hefty commission :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Yakuza wrote: »
    I got one of these in some kind of a knick-knack store a few years ago -

http://www.sevenstar.ie/sevenstar/Main/Product-2006.asp?iProductID=3394

It's handy for sorting out small quantities, but I've no idea where to get one these days :(

The other option as has been pointed out is to bag it yourself and bring it to a bank. I've never had a problem doing it (but it's been a year or so, maybe they charge now), they just weighed the bags and gave me notes.

Just to clarify - the bags you bring to the bank have to be full with whatever coins they say on the front (100 1-cent or 50 2-euro etc). They don't take half-filled or mixed bags, whereas the machines will take whatever you pour into them (minus a hefty commission :()

Art and hobby shop used to always have them, not sure if they still do.

Penneys have been selling small electronic jars that count the coins as you put them in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

bdr529 wrote: »
    the Banks don't take in bagged coins anymore, they use counting machines. if you take your coins to the Central Bank in Dame st they will count it and convert it to paper money for FREE. meant to go there myself just before christmas but didn't get a chance, used the local supervalu and was charged 12%....

AIB did yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Dunnes have one ever now and them.

Also saw one recently in TK-Maxx, but the pound sign on the box put me off...

Advertisement