Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding off campus accomodation

Options
  • 09-06-2010 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Me and two of my friends are hoping to live off campus next year in college. We're going into second year so lived on campus this year. We've been looking for suitable houses but everywhere so far wants a one year lease which is too expensive to be paying over the summer. Are we looking to early for a house with a nine month lease or are we unlikely to find one at all? Any help would be great!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

ice_cream wrote: »
    Me and two of my friends are hoping to live off campus next year in college. We're going into second year so lived on campus this year. We've been looking for suitable houses but everywhere so far wants a one year lease which is too expensive to be paying over the summer. Are we looking to early for a house with a nine month lease or are we unlikely to find one at all? Any help would be great!!

There's no hoping of living off campus next year, it's a guaranteed that you'll be off campus next year, either commuting or living somewhere.
    Too early for looking, wait for a while. A one year lease is too expensive for an undergrad (or generally anyone without money), personally I'd sort myself out first and then your mates. As cold hearted as that sounds an old saying mother taught me has proven very helpful:
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe".;)
    You could get lucky though but keep an eye on daft. Worst comes to worse, you sign a 1 year contract, leave after nine months and lose your deposit which is nearly a given with the treatment a student house receives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 blueelephant

just to say..campus is now open on a first come first served basis for all student apply so you could very easily live on campus next year if you wanted too...

anyway, yeah its prob a bit too early to start looking, id leave it til around august and like it was mentioned, worse case is that you sign a lease and loose a deposit...but! if your willing to loose a deposit make sure you give the right amount of days notice! :)
    and also if you look at daft you can find lots of share accomodation for shorter term leases so maybe you should have think about that too..maybe you should sort yourself out first :)

good luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ice_cream

Thanks for the help guys. Won't be abandoning my friends though! Just wanted to know if we were looking too early. We know campus is open to second years this year but application for it opens June 16th and thats very early to book it as we're not gonna have a house by then. But most people have said wait til mid July - august :) Thanks again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

There's posts like this every year. Its extremely difficult to be able to secure a nine month lease - anyone I know who managed it was very lucky with their landlord. Like you've been advised, wait until late July, early August. Or have a go for on-campus accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Reincarbonated

I'm going into second year next year too. I was looking for accommodation, but I only have one other person to live with. Most of the houses fit at least 3 or 4 students, since there's only 2 of us, what should we do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I'm going into second year next year too. I was looking for accommodation, but I only have one other person to live with. Most of the houses fit at least 3 or 4 students, since there's only 2 of us, what should we do?

Get two more.;) Ah no, you'll be fine.:) Usually in a case like this there's people who've gotten a house and need 1 or 2 more so keep your ear to the ground. It's only June and it's still early days, especially now since the rental market is in over supply.

Advertisement