Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coopers Micro Brew Set

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

It would be a good way to start out and you would in no way be restricted to using Coopers kits, any kit would work. In my opinion it is a bit expensive though, I'd look at the list of contents and see if it is cheaper to buy them individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SteeveeDee

Thanks for the speedy reply there. I may indeed buy individual and cheers for the financial heads up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

I think TheHomeBrewComapany.ie starter kit is the way to go. It has all the bits and pieces I recommend for kit brewing.

You need to get yourself some empty beer bottles and buy a beer kit separately, but you get two brewing vessels instead of one with the coopers kit and a proper glass thermometer instead of the adhesive one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think TheHomeBrewComapany.ie starter kit is the way to go. It has all the bits and pieces I recommend for kit brewing.

You need to get yourself some empty beer bottles and buy a beer kit separately, but you get two brewing vessels instead of one with the coopers kit and a proper glass thermometer instead of the adhesive one.

That website is a godsend, I just took delivery of some stuff today. A 25 Litre Vessel with a tap fitted at the bottom, some yeast, two extracts (a lager and an ale). Two of us went halves on the stuff, and going to start the lager this evening.

Ordered it last Thursday, which is a 3 day turnaround (Friday, Tuesday, today)

That kit looks brilliant for the amount of stuff that comes with it too, and if I was starting again, it's what I'd get

Cheers the info guys. Checked out TheHomeBrewComapany.ie and reckon I'm gonna order the starter kit in the next few days.

Anyone have any suggestions as to my first brew? I'd be an ale man meself but open to suggestions but don't want anything to difficult if that makes any sense!

• Advertisement

Sorry, meant to ask guildofevil, what's the benefit of the two vessels over the one that coopers use? Sorry to ask but I'm a complete novice and in the blind for all intensive purposes. I'm thinking the 2 vessels thing is better and probably more traditional?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

SteeveeDee wrote: »
    Cheers the info guys. Checked out TheHomeBrewComapany.ie and reckon I'm gonna order the starter kit in the next few days.

Anyone have any suggestions as to my first brew? I'd be an ale man meself but open to suggestions but don't want anything to difficult if that makes any sense!

I got something called "Geordie Mild" from that same site, you should also order 1kg Spray Malt if getting that (it replaces the sugar that it tells you to add), but it suggests what else you should consider ordering when buying whichever one you pick.

I think the second vessel is for batch priming. When bottling it's recommended that you "prime" the bottles with a teaspoon of sugar, which creates the "fizz". If you have a second vessel you can add X amount of sugar to it, then add the fermented beer to it, then bottle it.

Des,
    I'll look into the Geordie Mild. Sounds about right for me at the mo. I get the idea behind the 2nd container now,makes sense,thanks for that.

Any advice on bottling? I see brown glass being mentioned a lot for bottling but also noticed some talk on those PET bottles..just wondering what folks thoughts were on these.they seem pretty handy but that maybe a bad thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Des wrote: »
    I

I think the second vessel is for batch priming. When bottling it's recommended that you "prime" the bottles with a teaspoon of sugar, which creates the "fizz". If you have a second vessel you can add X amount of sugar to it, then add the fermented beer to it, then bottle it.

Batch priming is a much better method, as you can boil up your sugar (a then cool) which will reduce infection rates and it will allow for more consistent priming rate through put the bottles.

Also that fizz is cause by the sugar provide nucleation sites for the CO2 dissolved in the beer to come out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

In addition to the advantages already mentioned, syphoning to a second vessel before bottling means that you leave all of the yeast cake at the bottom of the first fermentor. Otherwise the last few bottles you fill can end up a bit yeasty.

The process of batch priming is discussed in this handy guide. Bottling Beer: An Illustrated Guide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Advertisement