Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator complaint

Options
  • 09-06-2010 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭

I received a 1 month ban from Beer & Wine & Spirits thread.
    It was receivedduring the following :

My post:
    What the hell are people going on about food for.
    Proper pubs don't sell food.
    Proper pubs have Guinness taps and a lager tap for the birds.
    They also have bottled Ritz for the birds.

Unfortunately, modern society has become ghey beyond belief. These little faggy haircutted types will only drink something they've seen on tv. the birds want to drink wine because it's the IN drink this summer.

The problem isn't with the pubs, it's with how ghey society has become.

Hence why bars, not pubs, are doing good business.

/2c
    I recieved an infraction for use of the word 'faggy'. I accepted it as everyone knows that's the worst thing that anyone can ever do.
    des wrote:
    Please, tone your language down or don't post in here again.

Upon returning to read the thread, I saw the following post:
    crap
    You're post wasn't even funny in an Al Murray pub landlord sort of way it was just stupid, pure stupid.
    This post was thanked by our moderator, the ultra fair Des, who demonstrated his fairness by banning me for responding with
    Thanks for that. I'll certainly take on board the thoughts of the moderator of the WIT forum.

Des, the Just's following post:
    Troll, banned

So, in summary, Des the virtuous didn't agree with me. Sanctioned me for use of a terrible word, and then allowed a poster to attack me. My measured reply was met with a ban?

Am I the one in the wrong here?

Thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055930236&page=12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Have you sent a PM to any of the category moderators in relation to this issue?

Category Mods: AlmightyCushion, kbannon, trout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Sparky wrote: »
    Have you sent a PM to any of the category moderators in relation to this issue?

Category Mods: AlmightyCushion, kbannon, trout
    Yes.
    I pm-ed AC. He shows no activity for the better part of a week, though.
    Kbannon appears to have not been here since May and trout may never have been her as there's no indication as to his last activity.

Bump.

Still nothing on this despite having contacted the moderator I'm complining about, a category mod and the helpdesk.

I have to say, this desk isn't very helpful at all.

Hey recylingbin

Ive had to bump the CMods to query as to why you have got no response.
    However I have read the thread in question again and your post does come across as undesirable and disturbed the flow of the thread.
    You were asked to tone it down by Des.
    While I consider the method in which the post quoting yours to be stupid, it was posted in relation to your post, it was attacking the post and not you personally.
    Further to that Des thanking the post is seen in my eyes as him agreeing with that users opinion.

You then posted directly against the user.
    Thanks for that. I'll certainly take on board the thoughts of the moderator of the WIT forum.

This is where Des stepped in and banned you for trolling, as you had been warned previously to calm your tone. Also noted is that you have a history of disturbing the peace and it is quite easy for a moderator to see that others have been down this road before.

Anytime you see a post that you consider abusive or untoward, it is best to report it.

Whoa there.
    I believe that they have been my only two posts in there.
    How can I have a history of anything?

Secondly, I did tone my language down as per request.

Thirdly,the poster removed my post in his quote and replaced it with the word crap. I didn't mind that, but since I've been banned for nothing, I've decided that I do mind it.

Finally, the poster compared meto Al Murray. Now that is abuse. Straight out abuse. Maybe we can argue the semantics of it, but if we're going to do that, then the semantics of mne can also be argued - i.e. you'd only take my comment about being a moderator of the WIT forum to be an insult if you were embarassed by being the moderator of the IT forum.

Des, the virtuous, thanking his post is taking sides. Not the correct way to act as a moderator in my opinion.

Has the other guy been banned for insulting me?

Thanks for at least taking the time to look at this.

• Advertisement

Whoa there.
    I believe that they have been my only two posts in there.
    How can I have a history of anything?
    I'm not talking specifically about the forum itself, Im referencing to your other infractions across the whole site for general muppetry. You are only here 5 months and you have already racked up 4 infractions
    Secondly, I did tone my language down as per request.
    Yes you did. But you continued to pull the thread off course
    Thirdly,the poster removed my post in his quote and replaced it with the word crap. I didn't mind that, but since I've been banned for nothing, I've decided that I do mind it.
    So you are saying it was ok? That the post was okay? It didn't bother you at all. So you then post a response to it effectively belittling the Mod of the WIT forum. You then get banned for that!
    They attacked the post - not you!
    Finally, the poster compared meto Al Murray. Now that is abuse. Straight out abuse. Maybe we can argue the semantics of it, but if we're going to do that, then the semantics of mne can also be argued - i.e. you'd only take my comment about being a moderator of the WIT forum to be an insult if you were embarassed by being the moderator of the IT forum.
    So now you wish to pursue this as personal abuse towards you? Do you look like Al Murray? Are you embarrassed to look like him?
    Seriously it is not worth the effort.
    If it was to be pushed far enough then Des can pull you up on abuse towards him, as you refer to him as "Des, the virtuous"
    Des, the virtuous, thanking his post is taking sides. Not the correct way to act as a moderator in my opinion.
    So I guess a moderator should not thank a post they agree with anymore?
    Has the other guy been banned for insulting me?
    No! Because he did not insult you.
    You are only considering this now as an insult towards you after you got banned. You had the option to report the post if you considered it an insult at the time, but you continued to post and then got banned.

Wait now a second.
    1 infraction was a back seat modding in the soccer forum. A harsh infraction, but i tok it on the chin.
    Another was in the soccer forum and fully deserved.

One was in AH where, again, I responded to a poster in kind, rightly or wrongly.

The other one was for posting a parody thread in AH which the mod decided was mocking another poster's misfortune. It wasn't intended as such, but that's neither here nor there.

So, there's my infraction history.

General muppetry, I think not.

How did I continue to pull the thread off course if that was my first post that was off-topic?

Obviously the post bothered me some if I replied to it in kind. Just because I didn't report it, didn't mean I didn't have a problem with it. I'm not someone who wants to get people banned left, right and centre.

Also, you're arguing semantics - If I said your post reminded me of something Fred West would say, that's not attacking the post, that's insulting the poster.

yes he did insult me, as much as I insulted him. I don't want the guy banned, I want it recognised that there is no difference between his post and mine.

If we're being literal:
    He is the moderator of the WIT forum - FACT.
    I tok his post with the gravitas that such an honour warranted in my book - FACT.

Where's the abuse?

A fair crack of the whip is all I'm after. 1 month ban? jokeshop.

Fact about the matter is that you were warned on thread about your post and infracted. This is generally enough for someone to cop on and discontinue. The mod made a decision after your next post to ban you, more likely based on your previous existing infraction history.
    Its a 30 day ban, live with it as it is not going to be reduced/removed and we could be arguing the semantics till the cows come home.

Advertisement