Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Cordon v Patrick Stewart

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Patrick... Wilson...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I'm going to get banned aren't i. The irony of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I really don't know what people have to do to get any kind of recognition on this fcuking website. Corden has wrote a quality show in gavin and stacey, he's funny as fcuk on A league of their own...He dealt with Patrick Wilson being an absolute idiot, pretty well up there...and still, people hate him.

Honestly, everyone of you are fcuking idiots. You hate absolutely everything, and love the stupidest of things.
    :mad:
    I'm going to get banned aren't i. The irony of it.
    :(

Yep!

Personal abuse is a good way to go about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

I really don't know what people have to do to get any kind of recognition on this fcuking website. Corden has wrote a quality show in gavin and stacey, he's funny as fcuk on A league of their own...He dealt with Patrick Wilson being an absolute idiot, pretty well up there...and still, people hate him.

Honestly, everyone of you are fcuking idiots. You hate absolutely everything, and love the stupidest of things.

I feel sad:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Stewart, your punchline was not funny......... make it so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Jean Luc should have disengaged from the wine. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I love Gavin and Stacey, and I love James Corden! He might have handled the situation a wee bit better, but the things that Patrick Stewart were saying to him were just downright rude and inappropriate, he completely embarrassed himself. Presumably Corden is aware that he is overweight, and I'm sure that he gets plenty of stick about it, but you sure as hell wouldn't see it coming from a fellow so-called "professional" when you're hosting an awards show like that. So I don't blame him for getting a little bit "aggressive" (as another poster said, although I think it's a bit of a strong word) - he was right not to just stand there and accept the insults. Patrick Stewart made himself look like an absolute tool - if I'd had any respect for him to begin with, I'd have lost it after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

For a so-called comedian, Corden doesn't seem to have a sense of humour in that clip. Stewart was probably a bit drunk but he's also a notorious joker. Even if what he said was below the belt (literally), a decent host would have laughed it off and made a better joke (that was actually funny) in response. Instead Corden starts getting aggressive toward an old man. It's embarrassing for Stewart, but Corden comes across as thug.

Thats all well and good but as much as i have nothing but respect(even still) for Patrick Stewart its a completely different story if he was personally insulting me on stage. I would imagine i would laugh it off but i might not, you just never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Stewart is pished! :(

Listen to him speak ... it's not his normal rhythm / tone at all ... he sounds like a ham actor declaiming Shakespeare, and Stewart is (a) no ham actor (b) a consummate Shakespearean actor in particular.

He's pished, he's professional enough to use years of experience controlling his voice to cover it up in that sense, but when it comes to witty repartee, he fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I don't know who this Cordon guy is, but he is coming across as a knob anyway. Stewart isn't doing himself any favours, but he has enough of a good reputation for this to not stick to him. This Cordon chap seems like a bully boy who can't take a bit of silliness from an old fool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

WindSock wrote: »
    I don't know who this Cordon guy is, but he is coming across as a knob anyway. Stewart isn't doing himself any favours, but he has enough of a good reputation for this to not stick to him. This Cordon chap seems like a bully boy who can't take a bit of silliness from an old fool.

Yeah he seems to be a rare breed alright. A comic actor who cant take abit of (bad) piss taking about his weight. You'd think he wouldnt be so sensitive at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

in the middle of a stroke.

definately not a stroke, his head wasnt on fire

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mini Driver

Have been watching James Corden's World Cup show and its pretty much pants so far :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Trekkies worldwide will boycott James Corden overnight :)

In fairness, Stewart shouldn't have turned up drunk, and shouldnt have though taking the piss in an unfunny way way acceptable.

Corden had two options, Come back with something very witty and off the cuff that brushed the whole thing off, or do what he did. Neither option puts him in the wrong, and seeing as he's a comedy writer and actor, rather than a stand up, he might not have as much ability to deal with situations like that.

Patrick Stewart has been in the game long enough to know better. He seemed like a bitter old man, pissed off that Corden is becoming overexposed at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

James Cordon is an unfunny tosser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

My take..

Have you ever seen a photo of someone and knew you would dislike them?

First heard of James Corden last year in London. He regularly featured in "London Lite" in the celebrity gossip sections seemingly living off the "Gavin and Stacey" hype, falling out of night clubs. Note: I have never watched this show.

I just thought he looked like a tool. Your clip merely confirms my suspicions.

Patrick Stewart on the otherhand is an actor with a legendary pedigree. Saw him in MacBeth and he's fantastic. Who hasn't done/said stupid things when a bit tipsy?

As a shakesperean/stage actor he understands the importance of body language. He was pointing out that Corden's body language suggested he was disinterested in proceedings and ought to change that for future "gigs". IMO he was just there to make hay while his sun shined.

I think the bigger question here is WTF Stewart was doing at the Glamour awards in the first place :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

foxyboxer wrote: »
    My take..

Have you ever seen a photo of someone and knew you would dislike them?

First heard of James Corden last year in London. He regularly featured in "London Lite" in the celebrity gossip sections seemingly living off the "Gavin and Stacey" hype, falling out of night clubs. Note: I have never watched this show.

I just thought he looked like a tool. Your clip merely confirms my suspicions.

Patrick Stewart on the otherhand is an actor with a legendary pedigree. Saw him in MacBeth and he's fantastic. Who hasn't done/said stupid things when a bit tipsy?

As a shakesperean/stage actor he understands the importance of body language. He was pointing out that Corden's body language suggested he was disinterested in proceedings and ought to change that for future "gigs". IMO he was just there to make hay while his sun shined.

I think the bigger question here is WTF Stewart was doing at the Glamour awards in the first place :pac:

What does it matter about his acting pedigree, that has nothing to do with it.

And why does stewart get backed up by "oh we've all done stupid stuff when drinking" and corden doesn't, he just gets called a tool.

Most people are biased before they even watch the video, and seem to backup stewart, even though he was wrong, and correcting him at the wrong time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    What does it matter about his acting pedigree, that has nothing to do with it.

And why does stewart get backed up by "oh we've all done stupid stuff when drinking" and corden doesn't, he just gets called a tool.

Most people are biased before they even watch the video, and seem to backup stewart, even though he was wrong, and correcting him at the wrong time.

As I said, that's my take........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Is there some sort of annual competition in the UK to be "King Chav"? Previous monachs include Pete Doherty and Russell Brand and clearly Corden is laying his stake for the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Have been watching James Corden's World Cup show and its pretty much pants so far :(

Pants? Please don't use that word in that context.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Yet more evidence of what an idiot he is ....

.... he reminds of that stupid kid in class who had nothing to offer except to act the fool.

(btw he's 32)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Corden's a wanker of the highest order.

I fcuking hate the prick.

First of all, Patrick Stewart was 100% correct.

You don't stand around like a slouch behind someone either presenting or accepting an award.

He then got pissed off cause Stewart wasn't exactly sure what his name was and then invaded his personal space.

I just wish Patrick had gave him a slap tbh, instead of trying to out gag a comedian.

Cordon saying he was "dying" is laughable, he's not the one being paid to be funny, Cordon is.

Even if he had just told him to fcuk off, it would have been better.

If you ever see Jonathon Ross present these shows, he stands off to the side with his head bowed letting whoever is at the mic, have their few minutes. If someone takes digs at him he will just laugh along and then shake their hand and smile as they leave,

Basically, Cordon is an unoriginal, classless cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 iChatz

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Corden's a wanker of the highest order.

I fcuking hate the prick.

First of all, Patrick Stewart was 100% correct.

You don't stand around like a slouch behind someone either presenting or accepting an award.

He then got pissed off cause Stewart wasn't exactly sure what his name was and then invaded his personal space.

I just wish Patrick had gave him a slap tbh, instead of trying to out gag a comedian.

Cordon saying he was "dying" is laughable, he's not the one being paid to be funny, Cordon is.

Even if he had just told him to fcuk off, it would have been better.

If you ever see Jonathon Ross present these shows, he stands off to the side with his head bowed letting whoever is at the mic, have their few minutes. If someone takes digs at him he will just laugh along and then shake their hand and smile as they leave,

Basically, Cordon is an unoriginal, classless cnut.

I agree :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,032 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Cover your belly" could well be the successor to "Zip up your mickey".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Why does everyone have to pick a side? It's obviously based on hatred (unwarranted to a degree) on one or the the other.

They were both acting like tossers. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    Why does everyone have to pick a side? It's obviously based on hatred (unwarranted to a degree) on one or the the other.

They were both acting like tossers. End of.
    Yeah, but only one of them is on the tv virtually every fυcking day acting like a complete spastic tosspot. Stewart wasn't funny, but then again he's not supposed to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,032 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just watched it again and while the whole thing is painfully embarrassing for Stewart, Corden comes across as a common thug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Am I the only one that found that clip amusing. In fairness, Corden was at least witty, Stewart was just embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Its amazing how much being a good actor lets you away with being a tosspot. Cordon was right, Stewart called him out tried to show him up and Cordon defended himself by making a fool of Stewart which he did. The Becker video is clearly James after having a few drinks and being egged on by mates (The Brawn Team) and just having a laugh. Stewart should have accepted his award or whatever he was doing and walked off stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Its amazing how much being a good actor lets you away with being a tosspot. Cordon was right, Stewart called him out tried to show him up and Cordon defended himself by making a fool of Stewart which he did. The Becker video is clearly James after having a few drinks and being egged on by mates (The Brawn Team) and just having a laugh. Stewart should have accepted his award or whatever he was doing and walked off stage.

Its amazing how being famous for being a comedian lets you away being a tosser. See how that works in reverse.

Both acted like tits and both were not funny. Corden shouldn't have been standing the way he was and Stewart shouldn't have reacted.

Advertisement