Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aon- riding other bikes

• 09-06-2010 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Received my renewal notice with aon today, so rang them up to find out what "new discounts available to qualifying policyholders" i'd get (as per usual)

Girl on the phone gives me now quote, so i ask does that include the driving of other bikes, which is on my current policy(they omitted to add it last year so i had to get them to amend the policy- you get it if you qualify for the easi-rider policy). She says No i don't qualify because i only have a A1 licence. I explained that it's a Full A1 and it's never been a problem before but no joy.

So i'm wondering are Aon just changing what they offer or is this a case of them wrongly assuming A1 means provisional ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

chasm wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Received my renewal notice with aon today, so rang them up to find out what "new discounts available to qualifying policyholders" i'd get (as per usual)

Girl on the phone gives me now quote, so i ask does that include the driving of other bikes, which is on my current policy(they omitted to add it last year so i had to get them to amend the policy- you get it if you qualify for the easi-rider policy). She says No i don't qualify because i only have a A1 licence. I explained that it's a Full A1 and it's never been a problem before but no joy.

So i'm wondering are Aon just changing what they offer or is this a case of them wrongly assuming A1 means provisional ??

They might have changed their policy because of the limitations of a A1 license.

You could try ring Adelade, they were the second cheapest for me and made a point of their multi-bike policy while talking with the sales rep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Bike needs to be over 126cc with adelaide, so i can't go with them :o(

Would you consider doing your full A license then? If you already passed the A1 test then it should be a breeze.

Id have to sit the theory as well because it wasnt in when i got my provisional.
    I actually begrudge having to re-sit a test just to ride a bigger bike, if it had been a scooter then fair enough, if someone passes their test in a little micra they can drive a crewcab the next day, really annoys me!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Shouldn't be an issue as long as the other bike(s) comply with the A1 regulations.

Maybe threaten them with the Insurance Ombudsman?

• Advertisement

I finally found an email address for them, so have asked them for clarification, am hoping it is just an error on the girl's part. You'd be amazed how many people do actually think an a1 is a provisional!!!

i agree kamikazi, it shouldn't be an issue as long as the other bike(s) comply with the A1 regulations.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Shouldn't be an issue as long as the other bike(s) comply with the A1 regulations.

Maybe threaten them with the Insurance Ombudsman?

They only have to provide basic cover. You can't threaten them to provide extras with the ombudsman.

Just rang Aon, seeing as they couldnt be bothered to reply to my email, riding of other motorcycles on the easi-rider policy only applies to someone with a "full unrestricted A licence", must say i think it's pretty low of aon to send out a renewal and conveniently omit to tell someone that their policy isnt actually the same as previous years.

I asked what benefits are offered to someone on a full A1 and one of the things i was told was "legal protection", i mentioned that the customer is charged for that and was told that "it is embedded in the policy."

You can really go off a company y'know!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Chasm - next time ask to speak to Stephen and no one else

Nodster wrote: »

He the guy to talk to yea?

• Advertisement

Nodster wrote: »

Is there really any point phoning them a third time, just to be told the same thing?

Ok so i'm still pretty peeved about the fact that Aon didnt actually mention in the renewal notice that my "new" policy will not actually be giving me the same cover as my current policy.
    Had a little look around the internet and found a document on the financial regulator's site called :NON-LIFE INSURANCE (PROVISION OF INFORMATION)(RENEWAL OF POLICY OF INSURANCE)REGULATIONS 2007
    and more specifically, this part:
    6. (1) An insurer shall, in respect of a policy of motor insurance, notify a
    client in writing and within the time period specified in Regulation 5(1) of
    information concerning-

f) any fees or charges applied other than the premium,
    g) changes to the terms of the policy including any restrictions
    or limitations,

It states on my renewal notice that "the enclosed documentation details the changes and/or restrictions to the policy".......there are none enclosed!

The legal fees, although charged where not actually mentioned. The way the premium is done up it looks like i was charged €20 Govt levy, because no other charge or fee is mentioned. It was only when i phoned them that they said that this is the Legal Fee!!! (That's the "embedded one btw)

I think i might lodge a complaint, though i suppose i'd be better off sending it by snail mail seeing as emails don't seem to get answered!!

Do it.

Ok, thought id update this in case anyone is remotely interested ;)
    After a quick call to carole nash to get a quote and being told they could only quote me 3rd party and that they wouldnt be able to compete with aons quote anyway i decided to just go with Aon quote(insurance is up over the weekend).

Received policy today and according to the schedule I AM covered to ride other bikes!
    So either they have printed it in error or the people in their office havent a clue what they are talking about!! As regards the latter, i suppose i will never know because they still havent bothered their backsides replying to my email....hmmm Ours is not to reason why i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

So either they have printed it in error or the people in their office havent a clue what they are talking about!!

From past experience with insurance companies and bikes, my money would be on this option! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Ok, thought id update this in case anyone is remotely interested ;)
    After a quick call to carole nash to get a quote and being told they could only quote me 3rd party and that they wouldnt be able to compete with aons quote anyway i decided to just go with Aon quote(insurance is up over the weekend).

Received policy today and according to the schedule I AM covered to ride other bikes!
    So either they have printed it in error or the people in their office havent a clue what they are talking about!! As regards the latter, i suppose i will never know because they still havent bothered their backsides replying to my email....hmmm Ours is not to reason why i suppose.

That's ridiculous, they probably don't think people will actually read the policy docs.
    I would guess that the number of Full A1 customers they have is so low that its not worth there while having separate policies anyway.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    That's ridiculous, they probably don't think people will actually read the policy docs.
    I would guess that the number of Full A1 customers they have is so low that its not worth there while having separate policies anyway.

I had it on my 2008 policy with them, i recall them even mentioning it on the phone to me in the "pitch". When i renewed last year i noticed i wasnt covered to ride other bikes so i phoned them about it and they sent me out a new policy document with driving of other bikes on it. Then this year they suddenly didnt do it anymore, though the policy seems to state otherwise.

Advertisement