Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone credit

Options
  • 09-06-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

I've done a search and couldn't find anything about this so I'm starting this thread.
    I was in Dublin city centre today and in every place except one that I went in to to purchase credit for my phone I was told that the charge for €10 of Meteor credit was €10.50. I asked what this extra charge of 50c was for and was told that the providers(?) had added an extra 50c on and that the shops had to pass this on to the customer (:rolleyes:). I then asked the girl why this charge only applied in the city centre as I have never come across this anywhere else. Naturally she had no answer to this. I asked her was this a policy of the store (it was part of a large chain of stores) and again she didn't know.
    This is the kind of thing that I would see as a rip off. The extra charge only seems to apply in Dublin city centre. If you shop around you can get it without the extra charge, in a shop almost directly across the road :confused:. Before anyone comes in with the usual 'you don't have to shop there' argument, I didn't. I got it across the road where there's no charge.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I noticed this aswell and as a meteor customer i rang and asked why there was an additional charge on credit they informed me that it was the individual retailer who add this charge on and not meteor.....however i too questioned the retailer and they insisted it was meteor :(
    so if anyone works for either these retailers or for meteor can you please tell us who is telling the truth :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    i now use a supermarket as they never add on additional charges :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I just did that search and I carnt find any threads either. However, this has been played to death multiple times.

The phone credit companies charge the shops for the credit.

Lets say a tenner costs the shops nine euro. (dont quote me, its an example!)

The phone company came along and put up the price by 50c, so now the shops have to pay 9.50 for it.

See where this is going?

The shop can take the hit, or pass it onto the customer. Some shops take the hit, and some shops dont.

Just an observation, Meteor is owned by Eircom, and they are bollixed. Meteor is the only genuine asset they have and are squeezing what they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I just did that search and I carnt find any threads either. However, this has been played to death multiple times.

The phone credit companies charge the shops for the credit.

Lets say a tenner costs the shops nine euro. (dont quote me, its an example!)

The phone company came along and put up the price by 50c, so now the shops have to pay 9.50 for it.

See where this is going?

The shop can take the hit, or pass it onto the customer. Some shops take the hit, and some shops dont.

Just an observation, Meteor is owned by Eircom, and they are bollixed. Meteor is the only genuine asset they have and are squeezing what they can.

My searching skills pwn yours :D

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055846632&highlight=mobile+phone+surcharge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I could have gone into my history and got that, but I was trying from the OP's perspective - I put phone credit fees into the boards search box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I could have gone into my history and got that, but I was trying from the OP's perspective - I put phone credit fees into the boards search box.

Well I didn't find it by going into your history ;)

Searching for mobile phone credit surcharge shows up a few threads on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

I've done a search and couldn't find anything about this so I'm starting this thread.
    I was in Dublin city centre today and in every place except one that I went in to to purchase credit for my phone I was told that the charge for €10 of Meteor credit was €10.50. I asked what this extra charge of 50c was for and was told that the providers(?) had added an extra 50c on and that the shops had to pass this on to the customer (:rolleyes:). I then asked the girl why this charge only applied in the city centre as I have never come across this anywhere else. Naturally she had no answer to this. I asked her was this a policy of the store (it was part of a large chain of stores) and again she didn't know.
    This is the kind of thing that I would see as a rip off. The extra charge only seems to apply in Dublin city centre. If you shop around you can get it without the extra charge, in a shop almost directly across the road :confused:. Before anyone comes in with the usual 'you don't have to shop there' argument, I didn't. I got it across the road where there's no charge.

NEVER buy phone credit from a retail shop.

ALWAYS buy it directly from the Vodafone/Meteor/O2 shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

This post has been deleted.

I should have mentioned online also. sorry.

Advertisement