Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food for a GSD

Options
  • 09-06-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭

For the last 2 months zeus has been on the Royal Canin GSD breed food, while he eats it no problems his coat has gone very dull on it from being in excellent condition and ive not been that impressed on this food!! though we have kept it in good condition with the odd bit of cod liver oil and the odd fishy treats.

what do people here feed their dog that helps keep their coats in top conditions!

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Giving your dog raw egg, is supposed to be really good for their coats. I think maybe once a month/week?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If the food is not agreeing with him then i would change him back to what he was already on if he was doing well on it.
    As the old saying goes, if its not broke...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Is your dogs moulting or in need of worming? I find these two things can cause dullness in my dogs coat. Just worth checking before switching foods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

try the gains big dog dry food,Its brill,my pup(rottie) is on it a wk now and her coat is shining it very good it has a high proetin content aswell plus it only €23 a bag!much cheaper than the royal canine you can get it in petmania pets shops theres one in santry,hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

I use the royal canin and mix a small amount of tuna or salmon thru it and everybody comments on how shiny her coat is:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Thanks for all the replies, we didnt really change his food, just went from the puppy version of it to the adult in my last order.

He is molting quite a bit lately , but he's not due a worming for another few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

If he is still moulting I wouldn't panic too much about his coat, I'd give him a good brushing every other day until he is finished moulting and then see how his coat is fairing on his new food.
    FYI if his coat is still a little dull Lidl do a small tin of boneless mackerel in sunflower oil for 65c which I give to my dogs once a week which will give him a brillant shine to his coat, no more than once a week though as it is a v.rich food.

lrushe wrote: »
    If he is still moulting I wouldn't panic too much about his coat, I'd give him a good brushing every other day until he is finished moulting and then see how his coat is fairing on his new food.
    FYI if his coat is still a little dull Lidl do a small tin of boneless mackerl in sunflower oil for 65c which I give to my dogs once a week which will give him a brillant shine to his coat, no more than once a week though as it is a v.rich food.

thanks Lrushe, ive started doing that last week, i feed him the mackerel / Sardines / Tuna by hand and put the oil onto his food which he loves and also he gets a large spoonful of cod liver oil once a week i dunno whats up, we brush him every second day and his coat looks fantastic then the next day its very dull...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 SophiaF

i find burns and James wellbeloved the best. They are also lower in protein and this seems to work well for GSD's, takes the edge off their energy levels and helps keep them ralaxed. But only feed lower protein food if your dog is over 2 years, they need the protein when they are growing.

SophiaF wrote: »
    i find burns and James wellbeloved the best. They are also lower in protein and this seems to work well for GSD's, takes the edge off their energy levels and helps keep them ralaxed. But only feed lower protein food if your dog is over 2 years, they need the protein when they are growing.

my fella will be 2 now at the start of november

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 SophiaF

You can get James wellbeloved Junior, that would be great for him until he turns 2 :)

Advertisement