Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 Lear tips

Options
  • 09-06-2010 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Single Text - Lear

Personally I think the "tragic hero" or "redemption through suffering" might come up so I will just give some tips on that. Try to show Lear's character as it changes over the course of the play. INCLUDE THE STORM SCENE!!! It is the most important scene in his character development. Make sure you mention the pathetic fallacy of the scene (storm shows his inner struggle. He is going through his own storm). Make sure you mention that he is "more sinn'd against than sinning"
    Here are a few key quotes for Lear's character development.
    "Only we shall retain the name, and all the additions to a king; the sway revenue, execution of the rest, beloved sons be yours" <- This shows Lear's selfishness as he is about to give away his kingdom yet still wants to be treated like a king.
    "Come not between the dragon and his wrath" <- This shows his rashness and that he is egotistical as he views himself as a "dragon"
    "Who is it that can tell me who I am?" <- Shows that Lear is shaken due to the filial ingratitude of his daughters and now questions himself.
    "O Lear Lear Lear! Beat at the gate that led thy folly in and thy dear judgement out" <- He now realizes what he has done by dividing his kingdom, it also suggests that this is the first turn in his mental health.
    "I did her wrong" <- Admits to Fool that he treated Cordelia too harshly. Realization of his own flaws.
    "O, let me not be mad, not mad, sweet heaven! Keep me in temper" <- Mental health is now taking a serious turn. Prays for salvation for his own faults.
    "O fool, I shall go mad!" <- heart break has caused him to lose sanity.
    "Expose thyself to what wretches feel that thou mayest shake the superflux to them and show the heavens more just" <- N.B very important step in character development. He now realizes the full extent of his own flaws. He feels sympathy for the poverty stricken people."
    "I have ta'en too little care of this" <- He now realizes that he should have done something while he was king to help the poor.
    "A man may see how this world goes with no eyes" <- acquires "reason in madness" and knows that the world is full of untrustworthy people.
    "Bound upon a wheel of fire that mine own tears do scald like molten lead." <- Lear is redeemed as he now knows the full extent of his errors and admits that the pain he suffers is his own fault.
    "If you have poison for me, I will drink it." <- Shows his love for Cordelia as he is willing to do anything for her to forgive him. This is another important point in his character development.
    "Howl, howl, howl, howl! O, you are men of stones!" <- Cordelia dies and Lear is completely heartbroken due to all the events which have just occured, He blames the Gods for being too harsh with him.

Try to say something about how you felt for Lear at the end of the play and how we now sympathize with him through all his harsh suffering. I will do another thread on poetry and the comparative later. Its time to head out and get some fresh air. Hope you all did well on Paper 1!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

That question would be perfect.
    Some good quotes in there man.
    A few off the top of my head:

"How dost my boy? Art Cold?" - Lear considerss the feelings of the fool.
    "Robes and furr'd gowns hide all" - He realises that rich people hide the fact that they are bad people.
    "I did her wrong" - He realises that he mistreated Cordy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Very nice notes, this is way better than trying to cram on my own :D

I literally "laughed out loud" when I saw JoeyBuddy say "Cordy" .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

The storm scene as far as I can tell isn't pathetic fallacy, it's a metaphor of Lear's inner turmoil. I was wondering about this a few days ago and consulted four people with English degrees, one of whom has a first class honours masters, and they all said it wasn't pathetic fallacy, it just appears that it may be at first. English is subjective though, disputing opinions etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

H2student wrote: »
    Very nice notes, this is way better than trying to cram on my own :D

I literally "laughed out loud" when I saw JoeyBuddy say "Cordy" .
    Been watching a lot of Buffy/Angel lately. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement