Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly Tarmac Drive issues

Options
  • 09-06-2010 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have just got tarmac layed on my driveway, and its an absolute disgrace. It seems to have gone all white and patchy everywhere. I have contacted the contractor involved and he said that it was water from the roller and would wash away. Two weeks later and the stains are still there so the contractor came out and sprayed sodium hydrochlorite onto it which has made it alot worse. I have loaded up pictures of the problem under the acrobat file DSC00739 below but would really appreciate an informed opinion on the matter as the contractor involved is now ignoring my phonecalls.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

the water from the roller has stained the tarmac,i dont think theres anything you can do,apart from taking it up and replacing it.hope you havent paid him yet.take lots of pictures,send him a registered letter and then if he doesnt remedy it go to a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I don't know why he sprayed it with sodium hydrochlorite (and it may have made it worse) but have you tried cleaning it with a power hose/power washer? Those stains are quite normal, we usually just use a power wash to clean it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 polymer1

Tried everthing, power washed it with soapy water several times, scrubed it with a brush nothing will remove these stains. I cant believe you say this is normal as I seen other drives that have just been laid and there perfectly black throughout. I have also looked at drives that are several years old which have faded uniformly but seen nothing i to the extent of what is illustrated in the photograph. Its been over a month now since its been down and we have had alot of rain as well, so a cant see how anybody in there right mind would be happy with this finish considering the whole drive is effected and the job cost several thousand euro. I do appreciate your opinion but these stains cannot be removed, would you recommend that if this was your drive you would be happy with the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi,
    Not an expert in tarring but instead of taking the whole thing up again, which I doubt the contracter will do, you could get them to pay for an use this:
    http://www.irishtar.ie/Liquafix_S.pdf

Or somthing similiar. It looks like a better "finish" than natural tar colour anyway and if they get a good bit of it, keep some for a few years down the line........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

polymer1 wrote: »
    Tried everthing, power washed it with soapy water several times, scrubed it with a brush nothing will remove these stains. I cant believe you say this is normal as I seen other drives that have just been laid and there perfectly black throughout. I have also looked at drives that are several years old which have faded uniformly but seen nothing i to the extent of what is illustrated in the photograph. Its been over a month now since its been down and we have had alot of rain as well, so a cant see how anybody in there right mind would be happy with this finish considering the whole drive is effected and the job cost several thousand euro. I do appreciate your opinion but these stains cannot be removed, would you recommend that if this was your drive you would be happy with the result.

Just a suggestion mate, I didn't want to say outright that the sodium wash probably did most of that damage. When I say those stains are normal, I've been looking at newly laid tarmac for the last 3 weeks as part of the job I'm on and it had those stains the first few days, but they have been scrubbed out of it, mind you, by a professional cleaning company.

Kippy's suggestion is a good one. The honest answer to your final question is I probably wouldn't notice it on my drive, but that's just my personal feeling on it, it's obviously not to your satisfaction. I don't know what your position is in relation to the contractor...if you paid him fully or what has been done....but I would imagine that if he is fully paid, finished (in his eyes) and he's not answering your calls, then you'll have trouble getting him to pay for any repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What was there before the tar, and how deep is the tar? Is there any foundation under the tar?

Thanks for the replies guys, In terms of the paint on stuff you can get, I have looked into it but this will need to be done every year or so in going forward and I do not want to have to do this as its only new tarmac. I have been to a solicitor already and she is taking the case because the goods were not of merchantable quality. The contractor has also really messed me about from day one, firstly that the rain will wash the stains away, then treating the tar with sodium hydrochlorite and the last straw was when he offered to take it up and never turned up to do it. Really and truly I dont would to have to take legal action but I also do not want to lose thousands of euros for a job which is not well done. The fact is that I have to look at this for the forseeable future. I really would just like to throw the question out there to see if in fact people agree with what im saying that this is a bad tarmac job.

Sorry in realtion to what was there before the tar, nothing the house is a new build. 804 was there to make up the levels but the conrator added his own broken stone. In terms of tarmac depth 50mm but that remains to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 10 paidiheffernan

WATCH OUT with tarmac, i got done by cowboys and there is plenty of them in tarmac trade, 2 lads called <SNIP> but on searching no-one ever heard of them, weeds growing up and i cannot locate contractors and they are ignoring my phonecalls.

know where they are from and watch them put down tarmac, ensure 6-8 inches of stone then at least 2-3 inches of tarmac, you have to actually stand and watch them put it down other wise u will only find out the hard way if done wrong....

Mod Edit: Charter breach, do not name a company or business on thread. Infraction given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Sorry in realtion to what was there before the tar, nothing the house is a new build. 804 was there to make up the levels but the conrator added his own broken stone. In terms of tarmac depth 50mm but that remains to be seen

50mm layed or rolled depth .

some contractors when pricing state a depth this is some times layed depth not rolled/compacted depth .

• Advertisement

In terms of the paint on stuff you can get, I have looked into it but this will need to be done every year or so in going forward and I do not want to have to do this as its only new tarmac.

Realistically, you would only need to apply it once, as it will fade at the same rate as the original tarmac. When it does start to erode off, the stain will most likely erode off with it so will never be seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I've just been quoted as recently as last Saturday for kerbing and tarmac to be laid on my driveway but I've gotta say reading stuff likes this and hearing about all the cowboys in the business does alarm me a little.

Can I name a Tarmac contractor that I would like boards users previous experience with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 paidiheffernan

all i can advise is watch the guys that call to your door, look up yellow pages as i feel the lads that call to your door are cowboys. ask them where there base or office is and go and look at their offices or premises and you will know if they are cowboys....

i got done for 1800 euro....

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Can I name a Tarmac contractor that I would like boards users previous experience with ?
    Sorry, I'm afraid not.

I know you mean well but its something that is covered by the forum charter and I think at this stage anyone reading this thread will be aware of what to watch out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

i got done for 1800 euro....

jesus i thought i was getting a good deal !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mike R Ryan

Hi

Hi

Just wondering what the outcome of this ever was?

Having problem with our new tarmacadam, Terrible looking joint and colours difference.

Advertisement