Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering puppies?

Options
  • 09-06-2010 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I know with cats there is an active register and inactive register, and if you want to register kittens the parents have to be on the active register, and if they're not then you can't register them.

Is there anything like that with dogs, or are they just IKC registered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Hi there Morgannafay the only way to register pups is for both parents to be ikc registered .Its different as you say in cats .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Ok thanks :) That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure, because I'm getting a puppy in a while and just want to make sure it's registered and all.

check both parents are registered.Also check the breeders are going to register the pups.

Thanks :) Yeah they said that I could have them registered or unregistered if I wanted, but I think I'll go for registered just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Being registered is a good start but a registered dog doesn't guarantee a healthy one so ensure you check things out and even ask to be there when the pups go for their health check and vaccinations and get a recipt.
    If there's anything up with the pup even if something minor the IKC have nothing to do with it it's between you and the breeder.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah I know. Well I will get their vaccination cert and all, and so they will be health checked. I'm pretty sure they are responsible breeders because I know someone wanted to buy a puppy off them for breeding, but they looked at the pedigree of the dog they wanted to breed it to, and they were distantly related so they wouldn't sell it, which is a good sign. I'll see how it goes when I meet them anyway.

It'd be a Bichon Frise and they are meant to be quite healthy dogs, not too many problems. I'll mostly just look at the parents for signs of skin problems or anything that they are prone to. I'm actually just going to read up on what health problems they have now, to see what I have to ask for.

And of course I'll make sure the puppies environment and how they were raised was good, and that the parents look well bred.

my one concern is as responsible breeders ,why they arent regestering all the puppies .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Morganna wrote: »
    my one concern is as responsible breeders ,why they arent regestering all the puppies .

I'm guessing some breeders don't register all pups if they are not all 'show quality' pups.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If they arent registering then imo they arent responsible breeders.

To get them registered costs money so a breeder who is trying to make as much money as possible will always try and cut costs.
    They have to be vet checked, microchipped and registered with the IKC which will add extra costs to raising a litter so if they can get away without doing so then they will try, which would be irresponsible.

A good breeder will carry out all of the above. As most decent breeders arent there just to line their pockets and most breeders who do it right do not make much money for themselves when its done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

andreac wrote: »

To get them registered costs money so a breeder who is trying to make as much money as possible will always try and cut costs.
    They have to be vet checked, microchipped and registered with the IKC which will add extra costs to raising a litter so if they can get away without doing so then they will try, which would be irresponsible.

A good breeder will carry out all of the above. As most decent breeders arent there just to line their pockets and most breeders who do it right do not make much money for themselves when its done right.

I dunno, while I normally agree with the posts you write, I'm not sure I'd agree to call a breeder irresponsible for not registering all the pups in a litter.

I'm not a breeder myself, and I got no interest in breeding or showing. But it's just a piece of paper really that you get if you register the pup, I can do without that.
    I think its much more important for a breeder to do all relevant health checks, vaccinations, micro chipping etc etc.
    And usually if a pups not registered they wont charge you as much, so I'm not sure its a question of cost for all breeders. I'm sure some breeders would but not all.

Edit, the last pup I got, a RR, wasnt registered, shes not show quality, which is fine. And I'd highly recommend the breeder to anyone. I got her for free, the breeder had done all the vaccinations and health checks on the pup. She was more concerned that the pup ended up in a good home rather than money.

• Advertisement

Because if they are going to pet homes then there's no need to register them. The breeder said the puppy would be cheaper for the person buying it if it wasn't registered, so if I wanted then it didn't have to be registered, I think. I want it to be registered anyway, but there's no need for it to be. They are all being vet checked but not all being microchipped unless they are registered. The breeder isn't doing it to make money, but to save the buyer money. They said the puppy would be about €100 cheaper for me if not registered (not sure because I spoke to the wife, who just guessed €100), and I don't know how much it costs to register and microchip, but I doubt they'll be making extra money because of it. And the puppy would still have its vaccination card so would have been health checked.

They might just have said it to me because my mother knows them, so they might have just wanted to save us money.

I don't really see the need for the pup to be registered, if I know the parents are. But I want my pup to be anyway, just for the sake of it.

All of my dogs are registered, but since they're not for showing or breeding, it really doesn't matter that they are, just that their parents are.

Although I haven't even seen the puppies yet (will in 3 weeks once they start their vaccinations) so I don't know if they are responsible breeders. But when I go there I'll ask them questions and decide then. If the puppies and parents have been health checked, and are registered and look like good Bichons, and are in a good home environment, which I think they are, then that's good enough for me.

Personally if im buying a pedigree dog i want it registered. The only person who can register the pup is the breeder so it can complicate things down the road if you decide you want your dog registered and you cant get hold of the breeder then.

I suppose i meant they are irresponsible if the only reason they arent registering is to save them money so they can make more on selling the pups.

A good breeder like you say will want the best for the pup and getting the best home for it, not the best price.

I think its good that they are registered as you know they have def seen a vet then as they have to when they are microchipped.

Yeah that is why I'm getting them to register mine (if I do get one), because I know for sure it has been health checked, and it'd be handy to have it microchipped already.

I know what you mean now, but they did say they'd sell an unregistered one cheaper, so I don't think they're trying to get more money that way.

I totally agree Andrea,all puppies in a litter should be registered.If you are a responsible breeder you will do this.It costs 20 euro to microchip a pup and about 15 to register each pup thats not a lot.Also it proves you take pride in your pups if you register them .i

I totally agree Andrea,all puppies in a litter should be registered.If you are a responsible breeder you will do this.It costs 20 euro to microchip a pup and about 15 to register each pup thats not a lot.

That's very cheap for registering. I thought it would be more because sometimes you see ads that say something like "300 for unreg, 400 for reg" and they make it sound like it costs €100 to register the dog!

If it's that cheap then the breeder might aswell register them all. But then again, is it neccessary to register them if they are just pets? What benefits does it have?

I must actually take my three adult dogs to get microchipped, I don't think my vet does it, otherwise I'd already have them chipped, so I have to go to another vet. They need their hearts checkes every year anyway (Cavaliers), so are due a trip to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I like to have my dogs registered not only so I can know their lineage but also because their chip no. is recorded on it in case my dogs was lost or stolen and was trying to be passed off as another dog.
    A responsible breeder will also register and endorse their non-breeding pups to protect their bloodlines.

It would be useful if there was an active and non-active register for dogs, so the breeder could decide if they could be bred from or not. I hope it works for cats here and there won't end up with a huge overpopulation of badly bred pedigree cats and kitten farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Hey, Forgive my ignorance........

But just to clarify a question that was asked earlier by another poster......

If the pup is not registered does that mean that the dog can never be registered??

Just curious, I don't intend on doing it, but have a bred dog, Stud was registered, mother was not. Does that mean Pup can never be registered?

I agree with other poster, think its just a bit of paper...... :)

loctite wrote: »

If the pup is not registered does that mean that the dog can never be registered??

Just curious, I don't intend on doing it, but have a bred dog, Stud was registered, mother was not. Does that mean Pup can never be registered?

I think the pup can't be registered then. But if the dog is healthy and everything, then it doesn't matter. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

Totally agree with the above. These are the exact type of backyard breeders that I would avoid like the plague. A reputable breeder will register all the puppies. There are lots of reasons why people do this but among them are to make maximum profit and avoid spending money. Ive heard of people doing this when the stud dog owner is owed pick of litter and they want to keep the best dog for themselves.

If I was the OP I would be looking elsewhere, if they wont spend money on registering, its likely they wont spend it on the care of the puppies either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Both of a dogs parents have to be registered if the dog is going to be. If mother/father is registered and the other is not then the pup cannot be registered.

If you choose not to get the pup registered but at a later date decide to get it done, you (as the owner, not the breeder) will need to get into contact with the breeder and get them to register the pup (or dog) for you - that is if both parents are registered. It is much handier to get it all done before the pup leaves the breeders house and re-register the dog to the new owner. Chasing up a breeder from a few months/years back can be terrible trouble for both parties involved.

Hermit07 wrote: »
    Totally agree with the above. These are the exact type of backyard breeders that I would avoid like the plague. A reputable breeder will register all the puppies. There are lots of reasons why people do this but among them are to make maximum profit and avoid spending money. Ive heard of people doing this when the stud dog owner is owed pick of litter and they want to keep the best dog for themselves.

If I was the OP I would be looking elsewhere, if they wont spend money on registering, its likely they wont spend it on the care of the puppies either.

I guess they are backyard breeders, in that they're not professional breeders or anything, but if both parents and the puppies are health checked, and have great temperaments, and everything, then that is all I want. If they've done everything right with them. I don't want a show-quality dog or anything.

But I'll think about it, because I haven't even seen these puppies yet, so haven't made up my mind at all. I'd personally prefer a puppy from a home environment than from kennels, I've gotten both. The two puppies I got from homes (one a BYB, one a great breeder but pups were in the house) were much more confident and lovely dogs, the two I got from kennels (though well looked after) were a bit shy and still are, they're lovely dogs but not as interesting a personality maybe.

I don't think they are trying to save money because they said the pups would be sold cheaper if unregistered, so they wouldn't make any extra money.

They might have just suggested that as a favour to me, because my mother knows them, or maybe just to everyone. I don't see a problem with it if the buyer is saving money and has no need for them to be registered.

I know the pups will have been vet checked, and I'd get my one registered so it'd have to be anyway because it'd be microchipped. They could have fed them cheap food, etc. but that doesn't bother me.

I just don't understand what the benefits are of registering the puppies if they'll just be pets?

Actaully the more I think about it the more I want to go to a really good breeder that knows a lot about the breed. The puppy would probably still be about the same price anyway.

When my mother said she knew people with some Bichon puppies I was trying to explain I want a really good one and want one that's registered and all, but she didn't really understand, because she thinks they are all the same, and that if I get one somewhere else it'll be a puppy farm, though I'd make sure it was a good breeder.

I think I'll try to find a really good breeder . . . for the puppy's health and everything, but also for the completely shallow reason that you see some Bichons (and other breeds) around that don't really look like good Bichons and aren't really as cute. I do want to get a good puppy, if I'm paying €400-500 it might aswell be to a good breeder.

No, you cannot register the dog then. Both parents must be registered and the breeder has to register the dog, not the new owner.

Its not just a piece of paper if you want to breed your dog properly or show your dog.

If I see a breeder on the list on Irishdogs.ie does that mean they are a responsible breeder, or just that they paid to get their name on there? The website says they promote responsible breeding.

There's a Bichon breeder in Cork, but with no address, kennel name and just a mobile number, so no way to really know other than to go see them.

Im not sure about that list, i know the list of dogs is a link to donedeal so i wouldnt be too sure about the list myself.

Best thing is to contact the IKC for a list of breeders or contact the Bichon Club of Ireland.

Or try Ashmair Bichons, she has lovely dogs.:)

I live in Cork, and don't drive, and I know my parents would be like "why do you want to go to Dublin, there are loads of puppies in Cork" but if I have to travel to Dublin for a really good one, my sisters live there, so I can just visit them :)

They have none available at the moment but I think I'll contact the IKC and Bichon club and see. :)

I'll keep a look out anyway.

Thanks for all the replies everyone

Advertisement