Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative advice :)

Options
  • 09-06-2010 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Why is everyone so worried about the comparitive, its the easiest thing on paper 2. Im doing Lies of Silence, Dancing at Lughnasa and Il Postino. For V+Vp I write an intro, discuss the opening to all three, short sum up, relationships in all three, sump up, religion, sum up, moment of clarity, sum up, ending and general conclusion. From what I understand CC isn't that different. I got 6 pages and an B+/A- outta that method.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_Am_The_Walrus

Any advice on what to write for the conclusion?

I suck at things like that =(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Spelling and grammar may knock off some marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

No matter what, weather its comparitive, poetry or lear, refer it back to the title. The essay i got the A on was on the outlook. It was basically this and this are pesimistic because of this and while this happens in il posinto the out look is positive because it looks to the future and mario changed for the better

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

I'm doing the exaxt same texts. ;)

I do CC and LG though.

For CC, what would you do? Short intro, and go through Religion, Poverty, Social Poverty, Who has power in the world, and family life. Give a few contrasts in each, the odd quote, and finish up with a conclusion.

That would be all well and good if it's a broad question. But what if it is very specific?

Oh, and do you have any quotes learned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I hope CC comes up :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭0.M.GXX

hopefully literary genre... !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

just read the question... then talk about text 1 make point back it up compared to text 2 back it up compared to text 3.... next point..

just make sure all the points are relevant to the text and refer constantly to the question... if they ask about family or something... keep talking about family... it's better to write 3 pages talking about family in average writing to writing 6 pages of sheer genius without talking about family... the question was family so talk about family... that's what gets the marks... an COMPARE... that's why it's called comparative...

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

Ha, I'm doing all the same texts too! They're so boring:(

yeah its easy enough, especially gv/vp, i mean, there really isnt that many different ways they can ask you to describe the outlook
    LGs a bit of a pain in the ass, but meh, ill probably be doing the gv one tomorrow anyway. The two are deffo coming up, aren't they? I've scared myself now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Keogg wrote: »
    Ha, I'm doing all the same texts too! They're so boring:(

yeah its easy enough, especially gv/vp, i mean, there really isnt that many different ways they can ask you to describe the outlook
    LGs a bit of a pain in the ass, but meh, ill probably be doing the gv one tomorrow anyway. The two are deffo coming up, aren't they? I've scared myself now:D

Most people think Cultural Context won't come up, but if you follow the pattern that the exams have been following in recent years, it should. I won't repeat it but:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66295175&postcount=7

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭klose

Commaritive advice :)

comparative advice....there my advice bad spelling gives bad impressions haha:D

imdoing lies of silence, the truman show and playboy of the western world, all very alike and easy to compare and contrast, ill be doing general vis+viewpoint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Psychobabble

Also remember to contrast; the differences between the three texts are just as important. Would agree with the advice to constantly refer to the question - check that each paragraph you write is somehow tied in with the question that has been asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I've a feeling CC won't come up, even though it certainly is the easiest. I'm banking on GV+V, myself. Only properly decided what comparative I was doing during the past week, since my teacher originally gave us Wuthering Heights, Casablanca, and Playboy of the Western World. Wuthering Heights didn't agree with me, as I found myself horribly annoyed whenever I even looked at the goddamn cover of the book. I instead bought myself one of those rapid revision type books, each containing a full depth analysis on the comparative for the same texts the OP is doing. I went out and bought the two books, watched the film on youtube, and am now compiling notes together. Phew! Honestly, I think the comparative is what I'm most worried about. I mean, it has the most marks banking on it. I quite liked my CC essay last year, but I'm not sure how this year will go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Is it L.G and V.V that could come up or is it one of those two and maybe C.C?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I'm thinking that it'll be GV+V, along with LG. CC doesn't seem like a popular choice for this year at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Ok so there is three modes of comparison GV+V, Literary genre and cultural context. I thought that if you learned two you would be ok?
    So whats this thing called 'theme or issue' that always comes up, and why havent we learned about it?
    Or mabye im just having a memory lapse :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Liveit wrote: »
    Ok so there is three modes of comparison GV+V, Literary genre and cultural context. I thought that if you learned two you would be ok?
    So whats this thing called 'theme or issue' that always comes up, and why havent we learned about it?
    Or mabye im just having a memory lapse :o

Theme or issue is not on our course. Don't worry about it.
    If you do 2 out of the 3 modes, you'll be perfectly safe, as at least one of them has to come up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭YungJoshy

Any advice on the introduction? I'm doing a sample one now and can't think at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LCgonnakillme

Right so our teacher never covered G.V+v and cultural context ect all those titles which the comparitive can be asked under.

I know my texts well but looking back at previous Q's the questions confuss me.

Just wondering is in a sentence or bullet point could you explain them to me. Or direct me in the right direction.

I'm desperate at this stage! :(

My texts are wuthering heights, casablanca and dancing at lughnasa that helps..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Can't help you with your texts as i'm not studying them, but in general terms...

GV&V mainly deals with whether or not the outlook of each text is optimistic/pessimistic. Opening section, progression, conclusion, key moments/relationships

LG deals with how each story is told. What makes a play different from a film different from a novel etc. Author is totally reliant on reader's imagination versus imagery in films, that knd of thing.

Never did CC, sorry.

HL English, A1 standard requires a minimum of 20 comparative points, realistically closer to 30, work down off that to get your ow grade. Just make sure you don't summarise each text but rather link them constantly (Similarly, in contrast to, unlike...)

No need to know quotes, reference will do, try and know a key scene from each. Good luck ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Genereal Vision and Viewpoint relates to the author's outlook on life. This viewpoint is conveyed through the way the plot opens, develops and ends. Through the location, it's society, through the characters and their relationships and also through imagery and language. The dominant viewpoint of the text are often shaped by key moments.

You should cover:
    • The Overall Plot (opening, progression, end)
    • The Setting (local landscape, society's outlook on life)
    • Key Moments (failure/fullfillment/death etc.)
    • Characters and Relationships (positive and negative)
    • Optimism/Pessimism (constantly refer to this)
    • Moral Vision (Good vs. Evil/Good rewarded/Evil Condemned etc)
    • The grind of Daily Life (characters have fulfilled/worthwhile daily lives etc)
    You should constantly compare and contrast under these headings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

JoeyBuddy wrote: »
    I'm doing the exaxt same texts. ;)

I do CC and LG though.

For CC, what would you do? Short intro, and go through Religion, Poverty, Social Poverty, Who has power in the world, and family life. Give a few contrasts in each, the odd quote, and finish up with a conclusion.

That would be all well and good if it's a broad question. But what if it is very specific?

Oh, and do you have any quotes learned?

I honestly dont know, my teacher only really did the essay end of it the last few weeks, never got CC done even though we had planned to. SHe told me it was basically the same as V+VP. Take that for what you will, the womans a brilliant teacher though i wouldnt doubt her at this stage ... you can though :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dark Eyes

For literary genre, could you mention a theme of rebellion or would that be leaning more towards cultural context?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭AmyMaria

I dont think you could use the theme of rebellion for LG because it hasn't really got anything to do with how the story is told.
    I wouldn't chance it anyhow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

Lukker- wrote: »
    Genereal Vision and Viewpoint relates to the author's outlook on life. This viewpoint is conveyed through the way the plot opens, develops and ends. Through the location, it's society, through the characters and their relationships and also through imagery and language. The dominant viewpoint of the text are often shaped by key moments.

You should cover:
    • The Overall Plot (opening, progression, end)
    • The Setting (local landscape, society's outlook on life)
    • Key Moments (failure/fullfillment/death etc.)
    • Characters and Relationships (positive and negative)
    • Optimism/Pessimism (constantly refer to this)
    • Moral Vision (Good vs. Evil/Good rewarded/Evil Condemned etc)
    • The grind of Daily Life (characters have fulfilled/worthwhile daily lives etc)
    You should constantly compare and contrast under these headings.

so take a dolls house for example.... im not telling nora's outlook on life? im telling Ibsen's ?

Advertisement