Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sorry in advance...but another which bike thread...

• 09-06-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hey!
    Im looking for a bit of advice. Im looking to upgrade from my giant scr4 through the bike to work scheme...with a budget of about €1000 and being limited to just one shop to buy it in iv three options...the trek 1.5,.the butler vicenza and the giant defy 4 (i think)! So just wondering if anyone can give some advice as to which one would give best value for money and of course best bike in general...
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I may be wrong but I don't think you're going to see a large jump in performance going from an SCR4 to a Defy 4 or any of the others. Not enough to warrant spending the money. I would take your current bike for a good full service. It will feel like a new bike with fresh cables etc. Maybe splash out on some nice wheels.

The specs of the 2 bikes are here if anyone wants to do a comparison: SCR4, Defy4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

+1

You're not taking any step forward from the SCR with those choices so it's still false economy even if you get one of the bikes on the BTWS. As pete says decent set of wheels would be the single best change to what you have so that could be well worth looking into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

CheGuedara wrote: »
    +1

As pete says decent set of wheels would be the single best change to what you have so that could be well worth looking into

Sorry for my ignorance lads, still pretty much a novice when it comes to these things...What would ye consider a decent set wheels? Would ye be able to give me any examples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Get a set of Mavic Ksyrium SL, look out for good deals, although I'm not sure where you are restricted under your company's CTW scheme.

EDIT: They are very good wheels, plus you can take them with you if you decide to upgrade the bike. Alternatively there are cheaper Ksyrium Elites, still relatively light weight and a massive move up from the stock Alex rims and no-name hubs on the Giant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'd hold back on spending anything to be honest. Have you joined a club or taken part in any events? You'll begin to get an eye for what you need/want the more cycling you do.

€500 for wheels seems a bit much at this stage. I have a Giant SCR 1.5 and hated the original wheels (continually breaking spokes). I upgraded to Mavic Aksiums which are only €166. But if you have no problems with yours don't bother upgrading. A good service will make the bike feel like new.

I would persist with the bike you have with a few small upgrades here and there, save the bulk of your money and if you really get into cycling go for a carbon bike or something proper fancy.

Have you got a cycle computer? A good workstand? Good tools? Good track pump?

If you really must spend money there is a dedicted thread here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055577641

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Oh sorry, my bad, I assumed he wanted to spend his bike budget on wheels.

Ideally yes, save up for a better bike and keep the Giant for commuting/winter duties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Thanks for the advice lads... Gonna give the Giant a good service as recommended..And do my best to save for a new Carbon in a few months..Unfortunately I cudnt spend so much cash on wheels!

Will try to keep my mouth from watering at the sight of them in the next few sportifs!!!

Thanks...and il be on to ye for help with the big purchase so :D

Advertisement