Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this going to cause a problem?

Options
  • 09-06-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I got to 5970 today but the way my motherboard is. the two cards seat nearly on top of eachother. will this wreck the cards?IMG_0437.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

What are the temps during a stressful activity?

Also, what kinda job do you have that you can afford two 5970's? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Valdez

I dont want to sound stupid, but I think I am going to, I dont know how to check the temperatures on the cards. there get fairly hot. like enough to take your fingerprints off hot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Its in the Catalyst Control Center > ATI Overdrive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I don't like the look of that at all.
    The intake fan on the lower card is completely covered.

EDIT. On second thoughts it maybe normal. I've never had crossfire. so I guess I should just shut up.

ones on 80c and the other 59c, thats just browsing the web.

• Advertisement

do they sell larger crossfire conection? if i had a longer on I could space them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

59c is an ok idle temp. 80c is too high though, i'd presume the bottom card is the 80c....

That bridge looks long enough if it's one slot over, give it a shot.

I tired but but its just to short. think its because my motherboard is upside down. or something like that.

can't see how you could have done that. Could you take another photo of your setup from further back so we can see the whole picture?

• Advertisement

here's another picture. DSC_0420.jpg

wow you really got the whole shebang in there!
    I don't even know what I'm looking at.

Valdez wrote: »
    I tired but but its just to short. think its because my motherboard is upside down. or something like that.

I assume from this post that you have an extra available PCI slot but you can't get your bridge to reach.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ATI-CrossFire-Flexible-bridge-connector-cable-10cm-long-/280518012452?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_DesktopComponents_RL&hash=item41502d2e24

Here's a seller in the UK with a 10 cm bridge. would that do the trick?

In the mean time I would remove one of those cards altogether.
    one of those babies should be more than enough at the moment.

kick ass rig.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

CrinkElite wrote: »

I think that's one of those fancy high-end watercooled Dell XPS-H2C rigs :)

Solitaire wrote: »
    high-end.......Dell

Solitaire, surely you know Dell and High-End don't go together!

n00b :p

Those H2C rigs are factory-OCd and watercooled. I think they dropped the line recently to give Alienware a bit of breathing space in these recessionary times. Until then those rigs were equivalent to anywhere between high-end rigs to lunacy-booth boutique builds for the really high-spec machines :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

CrinkElite wrote: »

I assume from this post that you have an extra available PCI slot but you can't get your bridge to reach.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ATI-CrossFire-Flexible-bridge-connector-cable-10cm-long-/280518012452?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_DesktopComponents_RL&hash=item41502d2e24

Here's a seller in the UK with a 10 cm bridge. would that do the trick?

In the mean time I would remove one of those cards altogether.
    one of those babies should be more than enough at the moment.

kick ass rig.
    i have a 10 icm cf cable pm op

Thanks lads, all you have been a big help. Massy I sent you a pm. please get back to me. really need that cable, I ordered on off of ebay but wont get here til next week i can't wait till then :).

Thanks Massy, this is much better now. IMG_0441.JPG

massy086 wrote: »
    i have a 10 icm cf cable pm op

Go boards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Valdez, what temps are you getting for both GPUs now?

• Advertisement

Im getting 65c on the first one, running two monitors. and on the second 56c running wacom monitor.
    IMG_0444.jpg

Glad to hear you've got your issue resolved. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

EDIT:

SORRY! Removed insulting references to Valdez's wife.

No offense intended at all, was unsuccessfully trying to be funny after a few drinks.

Please slag my wife when you get a chance so Karma is satisfied.

Solitaire that picture ...fantastic

Hi zappb, yeah this is my office, I do printing, from signs to t-shirts to embroidery, and its a family business, thats me wife in that picture:)

Okay here's another problem. this pc is running a nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI and dell said it is crossfire able According to this http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19032409/19155395.aspx#19155395. but In my catalyst Control im not getting any crossfire enable tab. also i ran GPU-Z AND IT should say 4GPUS http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3017/ati_radeon_hd_5970_2gb_in_crossfirex/index2.html
    like in that artical. anyone can help me? what do i need to do? besides get a new pc. I still got insurence on this rig until 2012. can anyone help me again please. :)

Okay here's another problem. this pc is running a nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI and dell said it is crossfire able According to this http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19032409/19155395.aspx#19155395. but In my catalyst Control im not getting any crossfire enable tab. also i ran GPU-Z AND IT should say 4GPUS http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3017/ati_radeon_hd_5970_2gb_in_crossfirex/index2.html
    like in that artical. anyone can help me? what do i need to do? besides get a new pc. I still got insurence on this rig until 2012. can anyone help me again please. :)

I've found two forums posts, here and here, that mention the need for custom/hacked drivers in order for CrossFireX to work on the Nvidia 790i Ultra board.

Did you originally have a CrossFireX setup when you first bought the XPS 730 and, if so, did you have spefic drivers that enabled CrossFireX?

spammer.gif
    zappb wrote: »
    Look at the work group colour laser printer behind your desk, and a girl drone, i mean saucy wench, tapping away at another desk (I'd hit it)
    thats me wife in that picture:)

2ba100.jpg

EDIT - Did that machine start life with dual 8800GTXs or dual HD3870X2s?

Originally had a sli setup 2x 9800gx2. i was on the phone to dell, they just giving me the run around. they tell me the board supports crossfire. and that they want to put me onto the software support. but they charge for that support. just loads of crap.

so im a jacked when it comes to this Solitaire?

• Advertisement

There are hacked drivers for that chipset, Dell themselves used them at one point, as did Voodoo (working for HP). Root around on the Dell drivers page for the XPS730 and tell them you have the HD3870X2 version of that rig, should ellicit a more helpful response ;) Other than that Google for "790i hacked CF drivers" or something...

Of course, this is only of use to you if you needed to use both cards to help render the one app window/game.

Advertisement