Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "ignore" option

Options
  • 09-06-2010 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any way of making posts on your "ignore" completely invisible (i.e. not even there) ?

My willpower occasionally wanes and then I end up getting annoyed and itching to reply....

I know it's my own "fault" for clicking view, but it would be really helpful if you could completely ignore / block some people.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

+1 to this. Would love if this option was possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

To be fair, if you havn't got the willpower to ignore them while your already ignoring them, your going to find a way around a 'permanent' fix (I.E. Turning it on / off)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

tbh, I don't see the sense in having an ignore feature unless it's for refusing PMs. It reminds me of a child with their fingers in their ears singing La La La La and pretending they don't hear whats being said. Is it not better to ignore posts selectively based on what they contain? It doesn't take long to form an opinion on someone and pay their posts less attention when you see them

I've only ever had 1 person on ignore and the curiosity of seeing what they had posted was more annoying than seeing the post

edit: A 'hide thread' option would be sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

If you're using Firefox, there's an add-on that lets you do that. When you ignore someone you don't see their posts, quotes from them or threads they started.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7023/
    You can use it to ignore threads as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Whats this thread about? I cant read the op :pac:

AFAIK, its not an option to make the posts completely disappear. However i think its right the option is there because if you read a thread and the thread changes course because of a specific post, you may want to be able to read it.

Ive never had anyone on an ignore list. I tend to read everyones opinion, daft or not, it they are complete idiots or tend to have nothing more than one line quips, they normally fall fould of the moderators in time - i cant say ive ever completely disliked one poster other than one specific admin that doesnt seem to be around much anymore. Lower level personal insults and a holier than thou attitude towards members annoyed me as much as is possible within the bounds of the internet (which isnt alot of personal annoyance - something akin to athletes foot in the real world)

Perhaps the painting business is good and he gave up the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If you're using Firefox, there's an add-on that lets you do that. When you ignore someone you don't see their posts, quotes from them or threads they started.

Just installed it but I can't find any useful buttons. Please help

edit: got it now, in the right-click menu. This is the best present ever! Now to obliterate all those ****e superthreads from the soccer forum!
    edit2: hmm, it doesn't display any threads from page 2 when page 1 is trimmed - pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just installed it but I can't find any useful buttons. Please help

edit: got it now, in the right-click menu. This is the best present ever! Now to obliterate all those ****e superthreads from the soccer forum!
    edit2: hmm, it doesn't display any threads from page 2 when page 1 is trimmed - pity.

Not the same, but it loads the next page for you as you scroll down:
    AutoPager :: Add-ons for Firefox

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pretty cool addon there

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pretty cool addon there

Witchcraft I tellz ya. Very simple idea too. Clicking on the next page becomes very annoying when you don't have it! :o

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Is there an iPhone app for that?. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I just use my own mental 'ignore' facility.

I find that it works a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

Try gouging out your eyes OP

Problem solved.

Try gouging out your eyes OP

Problem solved.

If you gouged out on of your I's you'd be Ads by Google.

If you gouged out on of your I's you'd be Ads by Google.

No I wouldn't, don't be so stupid while trying to be funny.

I'll thank you as that seems to be what you want.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Quote>> No I wouldn't, don't be so stupid while trying to be funny

Yes you would be.
    And it was a witty joke.
    You made even funnier by missing the point.
    154 next.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The best bit is where he is stupid.

The best bit is where he is stupid.

I can't gouge my I's out. It's text on a screen.

Think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I can't gouge my I's out. It's text on a screen.

Think about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

Have a good read of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

I didn't think you could explain a joke.
    Ah well, one day I will get the hang of this mad technical stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I have a couple of users on ignore because I simply do not want to read their posts for my own reasons.

BUT, if they post in a forum I mod then I still have the option (and I use it ) to read their posts because I can still see they have posted.

It's simple really, if they post on a forum where you yourself are just another poster you have the ability to ignore them.

That's why that function is there.

When it comes to modding a forum you have to put that aside and read their posts.

Advertisement