Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who writes the papers?

Options
  • 09-06-2010 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Has anyone ever wondered who writes the leaving cert papers? I know it's all run by the State examinations commision but who actually decides the questions? What if they have kids or some relations doin the leaving? Of course they're going to tell them what's coming up! Is anything done about this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I'd love to know this aswell.

As far as I know, the lad that wrote our biology book had an input but I'm not sure who actually writes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

i think a whole loada select teachers & all-round "experts" send in possible questions, and the SEC choose from that! ....i could be completely wrong tho.!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I don't think teachers are involved in the process, and I'm sure all those taking part much be checked that they have no relatives or close friends taking part in the state exams. Complete impartiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I think they hire people (retired teachers Id say) to write them..

People with no connections to LC'ers (not related, not teacher etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 shocxxxxxx

ajjmk wrote: »
    i think a whole loada select teachers & all-round "experts" send in possible questions, and the SEC choose from that! ....i could be completely wrong tho.!

But then the people at the SEC know...and surely some of them have relations doin exams...i think its fair lousy that some people know and other people are panicin about what might come up...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

They probably get some poor little guys in a sweat shop in China to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 shocxxxxxx

Loads of people in england must know 2...thats where they're printed and obviously the people who print them will know whats on them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Michael2k4

As far as i know a few teachers submit possible questions for the exam and the questions are chosen out of these by the chief examiner in every subject. Also people who do out questions, supervise etc have to sign a contract saying that they know nobody doing the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

It is a secret bunch of people and nobody knows who they are. They are teachers I think, and I think mine is one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

There Ninjas tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

Afaik it teachers do write the papers. I had a teacher last year who told just that he used to set the exams and following that acted as chief inspector for another subject as well.

Now that is not to say this was any ordinary teacher, probably the best I have ever come across.

oh btw when he told us all this he wasn't acting in either roles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd hate to think somebody does it and has kids doing the Leaving. He could give them hints etc. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Teachers, both experienced and retired, write them. They are hired by the S.E.C.. They are given the syllabus which is given to every teacher and school throughout the country on which must be covered over the two year course.

Of course, everybody who writes the papers can not have any link to asny student doing the exam. Whether it be a son, daughter, niece or nephew.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Larkin91 wrote: »

Of course, everybody who writes the papers can not have any link to asny student doing the exam. Whether it be a son, daughter, niece or nephew.

AFAIK, there is quite a serious confidentiality agreement signed too. The exams would be drafted by a number of people usually, so usually, no one person has complete responsibility, especially at Leaving Cert..

It's quite possible that something like Hebrew for example has one person setting it. I don't think there would be many people in a position to offer questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

A teacher from our school left in first year to work for sec setting papers. They don't allow people who have family sitting papers to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Satisfy your curiosity, courtesy of the SEC website - this document explains who's involved and what they do:

http://www.examinations.ie/about/Setting%20Manual_rev3.pdf

(Chapter 1 and section 2.1 are most relevant to this thread, as is appendix 6.)

But I suggest that if you're an LC candidate this year, your time is better spent on things other than reading this!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

God I think...could be wrong though. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Zephyr91 wrote: »

She's given it up ... said it just got boring after all these years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

She's given it up ... said it just got boring after all these years!!

Dammit...so I got down on my knees for nothing? (in prayer, of course...).

Dammit...so I got down on my knees for nothing? (in prayer, of course...).
    Oh, I'm sure she appreciated it anyway! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kieran--f

I heard the stig writes them because well know one knows him and hes awesome I should have done that famous person question on the english paper as him dam it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

I wouldn't worry about. One or two students might be aware of a certain subject (if any). Out of the thousands sitting it it's not gonna make much of a difference. Even if they do know what's comin up they still have to study. And I'm pretty sure there's a number of papers drawn up for all subjects. So if a student knew what was comin up on one paper, it mightn't be the paper we sit. So it makes bugger all difference who knows what :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

My old Irish teacher writes the Irish ones, not on her own or anything, a big board of teachers! She takes off every year for about a month this time of the year for fear any relation would ask for some hints. Amazing teacher though, did my Dip under her, some woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

spurious wrote: »
    AFAIK, there is quite a serious confidentiality agreement signed too. The exams would be drafted by a number of people usually, so usually, no one person has complete responsibility, especially at Leaving Cert..

It's quite possible that something like Hebrew for example has one person setting it. I don't think there would be many people in a position to offer questions.
    There lucky they're confidential, otherwise 10,000 Boland haters would be after their heads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

theowen wrote: »
    There lucky they're confidential, otherwise 10,000 Boland haters would be after their heads!

Surely Boland haters were delighted. It's the Boland lovers they'd be worried about.

theowen wrote: »
    /winces :mad:

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Nope its somebody much better

CHUCK NORRIS

i think :confused:

/winces :mad:

:P
    Ouch. Seems I turned my grammar meter off following English! :D

Surely Boland haters were delighted. It's the Boland lovers they'd be worried about.
    I meant the horde who now have a deep desire to kill her, not that it's her fault she failed to appear or anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement