Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbag Bankers

Options
  • 09-06-2010 6:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39

Hi all.
    On Friday last my bank card was swallowed at a BOI branch ATM due to techniqal difficulties as it said on the machine. I then proceeded to ring BOI to only realise that they dont have a phone line to help people in my situation. The only person i could get through to was a stolen credit card person who basically told me "oh sorry nothing i can do for you and tough luck" This infuriated me.
    I then went to the branch in question today (4 days later because of bank holiday weekend) and asked for my ATM card back. They said they keep the card for 3 days and then shred them and that ill be waiting another 3 working days for a new one. I then went through the motions of explaining that it was their fault that they had a faulty machine, poor customer service and no plan what so ever in place. I explained that i had to get loans from friends in order just to feed myself so i ripped into them. The customer care team at this branch were just as appauling as the people on the phone.
    Now this is the good bit. 5 mins after leaving the branch i got a phone call from the branch manager saying that i was abusive towards their staff and i used profanity. He also said if i didnt go back to the branch and apologise he would have my account cancelled. Haha. I couldnt believe it.
    Is that even legal? Im not sure it is legal just to cancel an account based on hear say from customer care staff.
    Ill be returning to the bank in the next couple of days to give the bank manager a piece of my mind. I feel like standing outside the branch with a banner and holding a protest against these scumbags.
    I dont have it so bad thankfully but its about time people stand up to these people because after all we are paying for their golf club memebrships in howth with our hard earned money and also our tax money while they take irish childrens houses from under their feet because of a problem they started. These people need to be lined up against a wall and shot like they do in other country's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Hi all.
    On Friday last my bank card was swallowed at a BOI branch ATM due to techniqal difficulties as it said on the machine. I then proceeded to ring BOI to only realise that they dont have a phone line to help people in my situation. The only person i could get through to was a stolen credit card person who basically told me "oh sorry nothing i can do for you and tough luck" This infuriated me.
    I then went to the branch in question today (4 days later because of bank holiday weekend) and asked for my ATM card back. They said they keep the card for 3 days and then shred them and that ill be waiting another 3 working days for a new one. I then went through the motions of explaining that it was their fault that they had a faulty machine, poor customer service and no plan what so ever in place. I explained that i had to get loans from friends in order just to feed myself so i ripped into them. The customer care team at this branch were just as appauling as the people on the phone.
    Now this is the good bit. 5 mins after leaving the branch i got a phone call from the branch manager saying that i was abusive towards their staff and i used profanity. He also said if i didnt go back to the branch and apologise he would have my account cancelled. Haha. I couldnt believe it.
    Is that even legal? Im not sure it is legal just to cancel an account based on hear say from customer care staff.
    Ill be returning to the bank in the next couple of days to give the bank manager a piece of my mind. I feel like standing outside the branch with a banner and holding a protest against these scumbags.
    I dont have it so bad thankfully but its about time people stand up to these people because after all we are paying for their golf club memebrships in howth with our hard earned money and also our tax money while they take irish childrens houses from under their feet because of a problem they started. These people need to be lined up against a wall and shot like they do in other country's.

You're a gas man. Your post is full of nonsensical rambliing.

What ever about the machine swallowing your card which is fair enough but you have NO right to be abusive to staff members. Banks don't need abusive customers like you. I really hope the branch manager carries through with his threat. I'd hardly call it "hearsay" if the branch manager was notified of the problem. I'd safely say you took the same attidute into the branch as you're displaying here.

Aside of all this.... Is it that difficult to have a second account with another bank with a few quid in it in case of emergency? or heaven forbid a few quid in the house? Is that such an abstract thought? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 atourdeforce

Who said i was abusive? I was not abusive i just complained about poor service!!!!!! duhhhhhhhhhh
    And i notice we have a typical Irish who doesnt like to complain about bad services. What the hell is wrong with people in this country!!!!!!! People moan about this that and the other but when it comes to actually complaining we back down little schoolchildren like the person above me is clearly indicating. Obviously you have never lived abroad where things actually happen unlike here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

scumbag customer in my opinion

Oh - and of course they can (and should) cancel your account. Just like any other business in ireland, they do not have to serve abusive customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well, it takes alot to have staff go to the Manager and make a complaint about a customer. So maybe you did have a attitude, cause your email reads like someone foaming at the mouth.

On another note, I find it hard that they would just cut the card up without trying to make contact with you. Do they have the correct details on file? Did they try call you?

Also the poor staff member that dealt with you in the branch ain't the one that's taking childrens homes while playing a round in Howth. So I really hope you do say sorry to them. As for the manager, off you go and have a meeting with him, I'd love to hear the outcome of that. Maybe try get him early in the week, cause if your right he'll be out playing a round with the repossesd keys of the local orphanage in his pocket.

Lastly, does BOI not offer emergancy cash at the ATM?

Who said i was abusive? I was not abusive i just complained about poor service!!!!!! duhhhhhhhhhh
    And i notice we have a typical Irish who doesnt like to complain about bad services. What the hell is wrong with people in this country!!!!!!! People moan about this that and the other but when it comes to actually complaining we back down little schoolchildren like the person above me is clearly indicating. Obviously you have never lived abroad where things actually happen unlike here.

From time to time I do mystery shopping tasks so I'm fully aware of what bad customer service is all about. What living in a different country has got to do with anything is beyond me considering the above. Based on the tone of your post I can safely say that you were abusive. Having worked in customer service I've come across lots of folk like yourself and it must have been fairly abusive to have been brought to the attention of the manager. So serious that he/she threatened to close your account, which is not a decision that's taken lightly may I add.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Had something similar with AIB (I don't bank with them.)
    Machine ate my card, was told it would be a week till they retrieved it and then it would be destroyed.
    Which was nice, since I needed it to travel abroad the following day.
    My own bank sorted me out with cash and a new card (eventually.) But I am told that without an urgent intervention by the bank which owns the machine to the company (outsourced security firm) which stocks and clears them to retrieve the card, and even then that only can come from someone pretty high up (ie not your local branch manager), the card will always be destroyed.
    As for the OP's problem, assuming he's correct in stating he was not abusive, I'd recommend taking all deposits elsewhere and leaving them with loan accounts or mortgages only (especially if the mortgage is a tracker.)

Had something similar with AIB (I don't bank with them.)
    Machine ate my card, was told it would be a week till they retrieved it and then it would be destroyed.
    Which was nice, since I needed it to travel abroad the following day.
    My own bank sorted me out with cash and a new card (eventually.) But I am told that without an urgent intervention by the bank which owns the machine to the company (outsourced security firm) which stocks and clears them to retrieve the card, and even then that only can come from someone pretty high up (ie not your local branch manager), the card will always be destroyed.
    As for the OP's problem, assuming he's correct in stating he was not abusive, I'd recommend taking all deposits elsewhere and leaving them with loan accounts or mortgages only (especially if the mortgage is a tracker.)

Based on the first post, I can safely say that the OP was far from civil. Yes, the customer reserves the right to move bank but so does the bank likewise towards the customer. I honestly have no time for abusive customers and believe me I've had to deal with a fair few in my time. They deserve the respect that they give.

stepbar wrote: »
    Based on the first post, I can safely say that the OP was far from civil.

Safely? I don't think so. My OH is a quiet reserved person in public, but can go ballistic if she broods on stuff later at home that appeared not to annoy her overly at the time.
    Yes, the OP's tone in here may seem intemperate. That in no way is evidence that he definitely swore at staff in the branch.
    Yes, the customer reserves the right to move bank but so does the bank likewise towards the customer. I honestly have no time for abusive customers and believe me I've had to deal with a fair few in my time. They deserve the respect that they give.

I'm all for hurting the banks, especially when they fail to provide proper service, and especially in light of the fact that they're being supported not only by profits generated by my money but also my taxes too.
    Let's assume the OP has been harshly treated and subsequently lied about by staff as claimed (it's not impossible.)
    In that context, the way to hurt the bank is not to protest outside like a loon, but to erode their deposit base while leaving all loans on their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The issue of how he treated the staff is not in question, it's a bank, with cameras and possible mic on certain cameras.

The bank manager would make sure they had good footage before threatening closure of the account, in the event that the customer was to accuse the bank of discrimination.

In realtion to the lost card, happens, just get cash over the counter or transfer monay to another account with a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Agree with posters that OP was most definitely abusive no doubt and here to hop on the easy to hate bankers train. Get over it. and no i am not a banker.

They are right to close your account and fair play to the manager and hope he follows through with it. Why should they continue in business with an abusive customer. if you had a business and someone gave you abusive you would send them on their way. Why should the bank not do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭baldbear

When i read the thread heading i thought your house was been taken off you by the bank or something terrible. Bank machines break down and swallow cards it happens to everyone. Get over it and apologise to the person in the bank you were ignorant to.

Safely? I don't think so. My OH is a quiet reserved person in public, but can go ballistic if she broods on stuff later at home that appeared not to annoy her overly at the time.
    Yes, the OP's tone in here may seem intemperate. That in no way is evidence that he definitely swore at staff in the branch.

I'm all for hurting the banks, especially when they fail to provide proper service, and especially in light of the fact that they're being supported not only by profits generated by my money but also my taxes too.
    Let's assume the OP has been harshly treated and subsequently lied about by staff as claimed (it's not impossible.)
    In that context, the way to hurt the bank is not to protest outside like a loon, but to erode their deposit base while leaving all loans on their books.

A Branch Manager does not take the decision to close an account lightly. A person does not have to sware to be abusive. Based on the first post, I'm well entitled to form the opinion that the OP was abusive. Furthermore, the suitation would have been fairly serious to have been brought to the attention of the Branch Manager. He / she is well entitled to protect the reputation of his / her staff.

I don't care what organisation a person works for but no one deserves to be abused for doing the job they are paid for, no matter the issue. Customers are well entitled to protest by moving their account but what they are not entitled to do it abuse staff. FULL STOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

nothing like this gets to the branch manager that easy. Most staff at customer service are used to a certain level of rude customers especially in these hating banks times so they would be tolerant to a level. The OP would have had to go too far to have the matter refferred to the manager and they surely would not ask the person in for an apology for it unless it was serious.

A Branch Manager does not take the decision to close an account lightly. A person does not have to sware to be abusive. Based on the first post, I'm well entitled to form the opinion that the OP was abusive.

Good, we've moved away from 'I can safely say' to 'I have formed the opinion that'.
    It's an improvement.
    Furthermore, the suitation would have been fairly serious to have been brought to the attention of the Branch Manager.

Not necessarily. I've had staff come to me with complete cock-and-bull complaints about co-workers, public, etc in the past. Not often, but it happens.
    My point remains - if you weren't there, you don't know what happened. The OP has stated a version of events. I'm responding to him on the basis that his version is true.
    He / she is well entitled to protect the reputation of his / her staff.

Don't think anyone would disagree with that. What I'm querying is your assumption that the OP was abusive just because his frustrated post here was intemperate. The one cannot be concluded from the other.
    I don't care what organisation a person works for but no one deserves to be abused for doing the job they are paid for, no matter the issue. Customers are well entitled to protest by moving their account but what they are not entitled to do it abuse staff. FULL STOP.

I CAN SHOUT TOO.
    But it's rude and adds nothing to the point. You've no idea whether the OP abused anyone. You're simply assuming that.
    I'm simply taking the OP at his word. It's no more or less an assumption than yours.
    On that basis, and with an eye to others who might be reading this thread and are unhappy with the service of their bank, I have offered what I think is useful advice. Not sure what your problem is with me doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

What an amazing post. Your card gets swallowed and people should be lined up against a wall and shot.

Having been a scumbag banker myself for a couple of years I can say its only in extreme cases that customers accounts were closed. In fact it only happened once, the customer could not be reasoned with, one of the staff members was left crying because of them. We closed the accounts and thankfully did not see them again.

Good, we've moved away from 'I can safely say' to 'I have formed the opinion that'.
    It's an improvement.

Not necessarily. I've had staff come to me with complete cock-and-bull complaints about co-workers, public, etc in the past. Not often, but it happens.
    My point remains - if you weren't there, you don't know what happened. The OP has stated a version of events. I'm responding to him on the basis that his version is true.

Don't think anyone would disagree with that. What I'm querying is your assumption that the OP was abusive just because his frustrated post here was intemperate. The one cannot be concluded from the other.

I CAN SHOUT TOO.
    But it's rude and adds nothing to the point. You've no idea whether the OP abused anyone. You're simply assuming that.
    I'm simply taking the OP at his word. It's no more or less an assumption than yours.
    On that basis, and with an eye to others who might be reading this thread and are unhappy with the service of their bank, I have offered what I think is useful advice. Not sure what your problem is with me doing that.

Ok, while I agree that non of us where there and if we take the OP as telling the 100% truth. The fact that the BM was told and he felt strongly enough to call the customer and demand an apology and said he may close the account is a clear indication that the customer took his complaint too fair. You can not argue with that.

Staff in banks are putting up with people making smart comments about being bailed out, robbing peoples taxes, homes and some have been spat at. I've put up with a fair amount of abuse and yes I've had to take some of those to my manager. Sure don't believe the banks ask the IBOA, the banks union. They'll tell you.

Ok, while I agree that non of us where there and if we take the OP as telling the 100% truth. The fact that the BM was told and he felt strongly enough to call the customer and demand an apology and said he may close the account is a clear indication that the customer took his complaint too fair. You can not argue with that.

Oh dear.
    Of course I can argue with that. Customer is upset that bank is providing poor service and says so, threatening perhaps to remove their accounts, those of their families etc. Storms out of the bank in a huff. Junior staff member who handled things badly starts bricking it, older hand on the counter next to them suggests they 'get their retaliation in first' as they say in the North.
    Next thing, an innocent customer is the victim of a staff complaint.
    Because that is a possible (and in fact plausible) scenario, there remains no clear indication that the OP took anything too far or not.
    Innocent until proven guilty, remember?
    Staff in banks are putting up with people making smart comments about being bailed out, robbing peoples taxes, homes and some have been spat at. I've put up with a fair amount of abuse and yes I've had to take some of those to my manager. Sure don't believe the banks ask the IBOA, the banks union. They'll tell you.

Ah, now it becomes clear. You work for a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Ok so taking the op at his word he went into customer service and ripped into them for following procedures? If your not happy make a complaint to the branch, then to head office. If your still getting no satisfaction complain to the regulator. The staff only enforce the rules they dont make and cant break them.

Hi all.
    Oh dear.
    Of course I can argue with that. Customer is upset that bank is providing poor service and says so, threatening perhaps to remove their accounts, those of their families etc. Storms out of the bank in a huff. Junior staff member who handled things badly starts bricking it, older hand on the counter next to them suggests they 'get their retaliation in first' as they say in the North.
    Next thing, an innocent customer is the victim of a staff complaint.
    Because that is a possible (and in fact plausible) scenario, there remains no clear indication that the OP took anything too far or not.

Ah, now it becomes clear. You work for a bank.

Ok,

The op states that, "so i ripped into them".

When he says the BM rang and accused him of "abusive towards their staff and i used profanity" the OP does not say he did not. So I feel its safe to assume he had a right go at the counter staff. Which is not right. If you have a complaint its not your god forbidden right to shout and abuse the person representing the place you've the problem with.

As for your last bit, I hate bad service. Read my other posts in other tread. I hate it. But letting rip at staff at the counter is not the way to get your point across. I've already stated the OP should go into the BM and have a chat.

Ok,
    The op states that, "so i ripped into them".

Very vague and can mean plenty of different things to different people.
    When he says the BM rang and accused him of "abusive towards their staff and i used profanity" the OP does not say he did not.

Actually he did deny that he swore at staff.

I think the suggestion of complaining to head office and then the regulator is also a good one.

• Advertisement

Very vague and can mean plenty of different things to different people.

Actually he did deny that he swore at staff.

I think the suggestion of complaining to head office and then the regulator is also a good one.

I dis-agree, it surly means he had a right go at them. I doubt it means he spoke softly and got his point across in a non threatening manner.

and you right. If i was him I would take it the head office and go through BOI complaints procedure and then if not happy off to the obudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 walshkvn

I must say what a rant .... so much anger coming through the post over something not that big, given the overall state of things.

No point in ripping into the staff either ... most don't have the power to change things outside of the procedures tey have been given to work within. Need to keep going up the chain of command to find someone that does. Shouting doesn't help anything ... its actually counter productive.

And their are far more people in line to get lined up and shot before those working for a bank that are unable to deliver on requests that are outside their power to do so.

Learn from this one, move to a different bank, hold emergency money in a different bank/credit union/etc and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Oh dear.
    Of course I can argue with that. Junior staff member who handled things badly starts bricking it, older hand on the counter next to them suggests they 'get their retaliation in first' as they say in the North.
    Just to quote you there 'remains no clear indications' that this happened at all you say, is the staff member not innocent until proven guilty, or do we just automatically assume that they were in the wrong?
    You say that people have reported to you about absubive customers, well in a bank there is a chain of command so to reach the managers ears, it must have been bad. Either way, its a bank card he's talking about, get a life op. Dirty cards cause atm machines to malfunction, so how do we know its wasnt his fault all along, oh yeah, innocent until proven guilty.:rolleyes: On a side note, cards are destroyed now for security measures, there is so much tampering with atms and cards, that as it only takes three days to get a new card that its safer to destroy the old card. There are loads of other options to get money than using a card, in fact dont think I have used an actual atm in about two years. Oh yeah, unclebill works for a bank, so do I, op just called us scumbags, seems the op is well able to generalise. Guilty on that mark anyway.

I dis-agree, it surly means he had a right go at them. I doubt it means he spoke softly and got his point across in a non threatening manner.

Hate to keep making the same point, but no one can be 'sure' about what happened except the OP and whoever else was there. Let me tell a wee story:

A mate of mine put a request in for a foreign currency with his branch once. They said it would be two days to get the cash in for him. He agreed to pick the cash up on lunchtime of day 3 to be sure of receiving it.
    When he went in for it, it was locked in the safe and couldn't be got at for a matter of hours. He couldn't wait (early evening flight) and told the counter staff he was unhappy that he had made arrangements with them that they had failed to fulfill.
    He got a completely ridiculous lecture about 'security procedures' and whatnot from the counter staff (same lass who he'd arranged the cash with in the first place, and therefore the person responsible for the screw-up.)
    He asked to see the branch manager, who he knew, and was told that was impossible and he was being unreasonable.
    When he got back from abroad, he arranged an appointment with his branch manager and gave out about being let down on his currency arrangement.
    Manager told him he had been told by the counter girl that he'd only sought the money on the morning he came to pick it up, been unreasonable, and a load of other porkies.
    So he closed his deposit account on the spot and wrote to the bank's head office to complain, cc'd the regulator too.
    Needless to say, the paperwork proved that he was right, and that the counter staff girl had royally screwed up by forgetting when he was coming in for the cash and putting it back in the time-locked safe.
    The grovelling letter he got back from his branch manager was pretty spectacular, pleading with him to come back, apologising for the series of mistakes, 'having been misinformed by staff as to your request' etc.
    They still lost his savings, though.

So while on the one hand I see the same as everyone else - the OP's post is intemperate and unreasonable - it doesn't follow that he was necessarily in the wrong in his interaction with the branch staff.
    Probably he was, but there's no way to be sure.
    Moral of the story: bank staff are not necessarily saints, the public are not necessarily abusive scum and the way to hurt your bank is to complain temperately, in writing, to the highest authority that's relevant, be it the bank's HQ or higher again if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Needless to say, the paperwork proved that he was right, and that the counter staff girl had royally screwed up by forgetting when he was coming in for the cash and putting it back in the time-locked safe.

So while on the one hand I see the same as everyone else - the OP's post is intemperate and unreasonable - it doesn't follow that he was necessarily in the wrong in his interaction with the branch staff.
    Moral of the story: bank staff are not necessarily saints, the public are not necessarily abusive scum and the way to hurt your bank is to complain temperately, in writing, to the highest authority that's relevant, be it the bank's HQ or higher again if necessary.

Not to sure what your story has to do with anything, Expect maybe to highlight that every one can make mistakes, that too was hardly royally screwing up, but sure, your right in that she shouldnt have lied about it.
    The moral of your post is bank staff arent saints, the public arent scum, again a little one sided no, thought morals were meant to have morals? you follow that up with 'hurting your bank', I dont understand this either, have you a gripe with a bank? because this thread is about a bank card and even if I never worked in banking I can see that the op is overreacting.

Hate to keep making the same point, but no one can be 'sure' about what happened except the OP and whoever else was there. Let me tell a wee story:

A mate of mine put a request in for a foreign currency with his branch once. They said it would be two days to get the cash in for him. He agreed to pick the cash up on lunchtime of day 3 to be sure of receiving it.
    When he went in for it, it was locked in the safe and couldn't be got at for a matter of hours. He couldn't wait (early evening flight) and told the counter staff he was unhappy that he had made arrangements with them that they had failed to fulfill.
    He got a completely ridiculous lecture about 'security procedures' and whatnot from the counter staff (same lass who he'd arranged the cash with in the first place, and therefore the person responsible for the screw-up.)
    He asked to see the branch manager, who he knew, and was told that was impossible and he was being unreasonable.
    When he got back from abroad, he arranged an appointment with his branch manager and gave out about being let down on his currency arrangement.
    Manager told him he had been told by the counter girl that he'd only sought the money on the morning he came to pick it up, been unreasonable, and a load of other porkies.
    So he closed his deposit account on the spot and wrote to the bank's head office to complain, cc'd the regulator too.
    The grovelling letter he got back from his branch manager was pretty spectacular, pleading with him to come back, apologising for the series of mistakes, 'having been misinformed by staff as to your request' etc.
    They still lost his savings, though.

You know what, your right and so could I. No one knows for sure except the OP as to what really happened.

As for you OT tale. That's a total disgrace, there are security procedures in place such as time locks, but still he had it ordered and it should have been ready.

Back OT, staff will not look for an apology if they feel one was not warranted. The implications for the staff member is massive if it turns out they are lying. Which is why the OP needs to go the BM and give his side of story. I am sure the outcome will be we are sorry we let you down but you can not talk to our staff like that.

Your tale while terrible does show people make mistakes. 99% of posters here agree the OP was out of line and most read the "I let rip" as being a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

Wow op. you sound like a total bucket of excrement. let me guess your the type of guy who gets into arguments all the time over customer service issues, shout at the guy behind the counter in local spar or the pub. anywhere where you think that if the person on the other side of the till does not remain perfectly nice to you then they could lose there job. however you would never get into a argument with someone where your able to lord that over them because you will be told to fuk off or punched in the face.

you card got eaten by an atm machine. This happens, most people are smart enough to plan ahead for that. use internet banking to transfer to partners account etc. you would perfer to throw a hissy fit. thats your perogrative but it does make you sound like either a little bich or a nutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

The same thing happened to me at one of the AIB ATM machines in Temple Bar square. I rang my bank straight away and they replaced it. It took a couple of days but I got a new card. I didn't have to shout down the phone (it wasn't my bank's fault as I'm with PTSB) and the guy at the other end of the phone was helpful and sympathetic. Yes, it's a PITA but there's no need to be abusive or shout at anyone.

Advertisement