Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths: Calculator work

Options
  • 09-06-2010 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Something I've been wondering in maths for a while but never got a definite answer to is do we have to write, in brackets at the side or elsewhere, that we've used a calculator to calculate a number?

For example at the end of the part b's in integration, when you're past the algebra and the only thing left is a calculation involving sines and cosines and indices and all that crap I normally just lob the entire thing into my calculator at once because I'm less likely to make a mistake that way than if I'd calculated it out individually. Would I have to write that i'd used my calculator to do this? Or would the examiner assume and i'd full marks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 shocxxxxxx

You don't have to write that you used a calculator anywhere in the paper...you're supposed to use one! As far as I know you just have to write the model of your calculator on the front cover...you're allowed use your calculator as much or as little as you want without question...use it for whatever you can use it for! And don't forget...theres a new rule this year...you cant bring the cover of your calculator into the exam...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

The confusion might arise from the fact that, a long time ago, when calculators were first allowed in the exams, there used to be an instruction on the front of the maths papers that you had to indicate where a calculator had been used. It doesn't say that any more, and you no longer have to do it.

I used to correct maths papers in the days when that instruction was there, and there wasn't much point to it. I'd say that's the reason they dropped it - it's pretty obvious whether a person has used a calcultor or not, and it's not relevant to marking their work anyway.

That rule that shocxxxxxx mentioned about the cover is not new, by the way. It's been there for a few years. And it only applies if the cover has information printed on it (e.g. instructions).

Advertisement